Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Nintendo Wii has sooooooo much potential....

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by Coolarj10, May 15, 2006.

1. Coolarj10

Coolarj10 WiiChat Member

The Nintendo Wii has sooooooo much potential it's not even funny....Nintendo just has to unleash it. I suppose time will tell, but I think that Nintendo will have to take a few risks as well as open up to what the public is saying to expand on what they do with the Wii. Hopefully, Nintendo fully realizes this potential and unleashes it to the max. They can do it right, and if they do, I think this console can pull them back as major competition in the video game industry.

This is it, Nintendo. Don't hold anything back. :)

2. Riviet

Riviet WiiChat Veteran

Wii Friend Code: 3388-6355-5969-8398
    3388-6355-5969-8398
    Yeah, I think this time Nintendo will overtake the other consoles, I can definitely feel the great potential that the Wii has, I hope it's a success for not just them but for us gamers. :)

3. Jesse

Jesse Protector of Hyrule

Wii Friend Code: 7219-3868-1848-6260
    7219-3868-1848-6260
    Did you hear the wait times to get into nintendo's booth at E3, 4hours. They definitly have people's attention.

#3 Jesse, May 15, 2006
    Last edited: May 20, 2006
  4. SolidusRaccoon

SolidusRaccoon Philosopher

You are very correct, this is the reason why I am so eager for the Wii, This system is just dripping with innovations and potential, and what we have seen at E3 is just the tip of the iceberg, I am looking forward to truly having a fun time playing the games for the Wii.

5. i0n

i0n :eek:

Such a refreshing change to have a company committed to push the boundries to provide the freshest gaming experience. Focusing on playability and gameplay rather than the eye candy and latest graphical effects is what its all about.

6. Napalmbrain

Napalmbrain WiiChat Member

I think people are starting to get tired of the same old rehashes and want to see some new ideas. If Nintendo can get their marketing right, the Wii could pay off big time.

7. SolidusRaccoon

Indeed, it seems that Microsoft and Sony are just going for flashy gaming horsepower, and they are losing the spirit of the games. This is the main reason I am so excited for the Wii, Nintendo is brilliant for NOT competing with them, but instead is focusing on its own niche market, innovative and fun game play. This is also why the DS is outselling the PSP almost 3 to 1.
    If Nintendo had just got for a high end gaming system this generation like the other companies I would not be giving them a second look. But luckily they have not, and they have my gaming dollars for now.

8. SolidusRaccoon

Sorry for making two posts in a row.

The problem with Sony and Microsoft is stagnation, each of their systems are basically just upgrades of the previous generation. Keeping the system name is a sign of this Playstation and XBOX, yes from a marketing standpoint it is a good idea to keep the same name from system to system. It creates a sense of familiarity, but it also gives an appearance of “All it is is just an upgraded version of the previous system, nothing really new” The same goes for the controllers, yes it is good to have a controller that stays basically the same from system to system, once again it helps people make the change over, but it also causes stagnation. Stagnation is a trap that can cause serious harm to a company; Nintendo is avoiding that by taking risks with something new. It is the reason I love the company. The only true innovations on the Playstaion and XBOX are from the third party developers. Sony and Microsoft themselves have never really made the leaps of innovation that makes playing games fun.

9. phimuajedi69

phimuajedi69 WiiChat Member

^-- all of that is very true, though i'm a sucker for the eye candy as well....

however, the wii has such versatility that i'm already sold (the controller add ons and such, and the vconsole, not to mention the wiimote itself)

now i just have to figure out how i'm going to play the new final fantasy games....i just read that xiii is confirmed for a ps3 only release :(

10. SolidusRaccoon

Well I also plan to get a PS3 eventually (MGS4), but will wait 3 years or so. That is what I did for the PS2, wait till it comes down in price and all the major bugs have been worked out. And if the blu-ray tech losses out to HD DVD you can get the PS3 for a steal. Just be patient, you will get your FF fix.

11. phimuajedi69

Yeah i know, i mean, xii isn't even out yet so i'll get that one and give the ps2 one more good workout... it'll be a while (couple years prolly) before they release xiii, maybe by then the ps3 will be a reasonable price

12. gnikgib

gnikgib New Wii owner!

Wii Friend Code: 8614-2096-6005-1385
    8614-2096-6005-1385
    I completely agree that the Wii has tons of potential, and the "Wiimote" is a good way to make a controller that works with any game! :D

13. SolidusRaccoon

Everthing about the Wii screams "Winner" Now we just have to wait.

14. phimuajedi69

Or wiinner as Waluigi would say (you probably have to have played the mario parties to get this....)

15. Mr Jimsmit

As I've said in a previous post, Nintendo have always been for the gamer, Microsoft and Sony are both used to competing in the area of multimedia technology, as it has been noted, they just like to play with the newest gadgets. I have enjoyed the Final Fantasy series, and a few other GREAT games for the Playstation, and ps2, but I'm afraid great games are few and far between, I have always loved Nintendo because they've always been dedicated to gamers, the whole concept of the Wii in my opinion is extremely brilliant, it has such an enormous amount of potential as a games console, and at the moment, I feel Nintendo are the only company making games consoles, instead of some multimedia THING with graphics that are so amazing you can't even see the difference.*nod*

16. imahawki

imahawki (relatively) old guy.

I agree that there is huge potential here. A few caveats though.

1) don't nerf the online play for the sake of child protection.

2) don't shy away from "adult" titles at first, only to realize its the way of the market and you have to sell them (this is kinda what happened with GCN, no "M" titles at first and then it felt like they relinquished)

3) make sure the controllers, sensor bar, etc. are ready for prime time when you release.

17. sonic7

sonic7 Banned

SolidusRaccoon you summed it up exactly

18. Arcadium

Arcadium Not Banned

Wii Friend Code: 6980-3796-3948-8393
    6980-3796-3948-8393
    Good Post... =)

19. DBloke

DBloke The last original
    Staff Member Moderator

Wii Friend Code: 8041-7231-3447-6164
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    its not what the consloe does its the games
    pokemon sold the old gb
    brain training sold the ds in japan
    nintendogs sold it "over ere"
    zelda sold the n64
    tomb raider sold the psx (even thow it came out on saturn first)
    so whats gona sell the wii

20. struss789

struss789 WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7795-4616-5509-6155
    7795-4616-5509-6155
    And even though the wii dosent have hd it's still gonna have some nice graphics. I think nintendo has the most rounded console.