The Nintendo Wii's Four Darkest Games of 2008

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
One of the biggest questions many consumers had before buying the Nintendo Wii was, would the developers take it seriously and bring mature titles for the older gamers to play? Let me answer that question with a resounding yes. Baroque:
Here is the NFA’s list of the top five darker themed games coming your way in 2008.

The world has suffered a devastating cataclysm. Nearly being destroyed, it grows back dark and distorted, twisting the laws of nature and the land. You must travel to the Neuro Tower if you wish to save the world, but first you must find the courage to face your own sins, so that you can find a way to save yourself.

Baroque
Developer Altus describes Baroque as being, “A dark twisted fantasy.” You will find the world of Baroque to be inhabited by many twisted people; Meta Beings, Angels, and The Order of Malkuth

Almost all of the games action takes place in the Neuro Tower. The game continually generates its dungeons, changing its landscape to keep you on your toes.

Another interesting feature is that your characters death is actually an important factor in the story. The more time that you die while playing the game, the more secrets that will be unlocked.
Baroque is action/adventure rpg and is set for American release on 3/20/08. Rated Teen.

Fragile: Farewell Ruins Of The Moon.
fragile_shrine_of_light.jpg Fragile is a new rpg created by Namco and Bandai. The game takes place in the near future of an almost extinct planet. You play as a young boy name Seto, who is trying to discover the reason for all of the worlds missing people. Seto uses the moon to guide him as he travels on his adventure through deserted towns and cities. Here he crosses paths with the spirits of the dead, many of which who aren’t to happy to see him.

Exploration seems to be a major factor in the game play of Fragile. Seto has a flash light and a metal detector to help him uncover the secrets of the world. Not to much is known about how the combat will be implemented into the game.

Here is a direct translation of what is being said in the video. "Ah Hotaru. This Star, it's this sort of vastness the Earth is overflowing with people, but every person thinks "why am I alone?" It’s because their mind is rot with madness. And to end this madness I must destroy that world, and to do that, I must locate the virus."

Fragile is said to be released sometime in late 2008, and is expected to be rated Teen.

Fatal Frame 4

fatal_frame_4_corridor.jpg

Director Shibata Makoto and producer Keisuke Kikuchi are teaming up with Grasshoppers Studios for the newest Fatal Frame game. Suda 51 will have a large part in the project and is probably best known for his Killer 7 game for the Gamecube, and most recently the critically acclaimed No More Heroes for the Wii.

The Fatal Frame series is a very unique and very dark series unlike any of the other games in it’s genre. Instead of blasting weird creatures and ghosts with powerful guns you are armed with a soul capturing camera called Obscura. You can expect the game play to be similar to the previous games in the series which consist of mainly exploration and puzzle solving. All of the games in the series are very dark and the developers seem to pride themselves on making the titles as scary as possible.

It is important to note that Nintendo has bought the distribution rights for this title. So although it hasn’t been officially announced it yet, it is extremely unlikely that the game will be seen on a competing console.

Tecmo is trying for a late summer release and the game is expected to be rated Mature.

Sadness

sadness-20060504112612027_640w.jpg

Sadness is a very intriguing title that is making it way to Wii courtesy of its developer Nibris. Sadness takes place in a Slavic country sometime before World War I. The games artistic style is said to be influenced by the eras black and white cinema. The games storyline is also said to be inspired by a lot of Slavic legends. This is what we know of the games plot so far.

You play as Maria a woman trying to protect her son Alex after surviving a train derailment. Alex was hurt badly during the accident and has been blinded. You must now make your way through a dark and unfamiliar European countryside to find help.

Sadness is going to be a very unique game unlike anything else on the market. For one thing the entire game will be played in photo realistic black and white. The game will also not have any sort of game hub. Meaning you can not pause the game to access an inventory of any sort. And the games save system will be completely hidden from the player.

Piotr Bielatowicz one of the games designers had this to say about the game. "We are aiming at completely intuitive behavior of the player - just as in life. Every choice a player makes is essential - if you experience traumatic events in your life, they are with you all the time. This will be the same in Sadness. We want the player to feel that he is participating in events, not merely playing a game. If there is an item in the environment, such as an umbrella, the player needs only reach out with the Wiimote and grab that item. The player can then manipulate that item realistically through motioning with the controller."

linkage

I like the sound of Baroque, did they mention if it will be a wii exclusive?

Inceptor said:
I like the sound of Baroque, did they mention if it will be a wii exclusive?

yes it tis wii exclusive

Sweet, do you have any idea of the UK release date? is it near the US release date?

Inceptor said:
Sweet, do you have any idea of the UK release date? is it near the US release date?

prolly but not sure. search google.

Yeah I just found it it's the 6th of june. and there is a ps2 version by the way.

Inceptor said:
Yeah I just found it it's the 6th of june. and there is a ps2 version by the way.

yeah i meant its exclusive on wii as in this generation. and yeah, this game does dound dark and awesome.

vashivihan said:
yeah i meant its exclusive on wii as in this generation. and yeah, this game does Sound dark and awesome.

Oh right yeah in this generation.
Fixed your minor spelling mistake.

the game that has me most excited about is sadness. just read at the description. scandalous!!!!!

Yeah it does sound unique if anything, but it's not my type of game.

Hmmm Baroque and Fragile don't really seem to fit into the list.
They just seem to be Japanese RPG styled games, that don't really focus on a dark, scary athmosphere. But I haven't hearded any deeper information on the titles and therefore I'll just wait and see, wether my predictions are correct or not.

Fatal Frame seems to be much more of that horror based game. But it sounds like it's more the Adventure type of a game... But since Suda51 is part of the developers, I have no doubts that this game will be decent.

Sadness... Well... I really don't know anything about this game, since there are no news on it. Still, I have my hopes up for it, this may become a brilliant title... or not...

. For one thing the entire game will be played in photo realistic black and white
lol photo realistic is games like cod4 and ace combat. i am sorry but i think they might be going off that original video wich is just actors.. i mean that web site doesnt exactly look like they know what their doing anyways. i just had to point this out. noobs..

but sadness looks really good too bad well never ever see it.

also fatal frame's graphics lo ok nice.

Sadness may come, as those details are new, at least they are more than I read about before.

Baroque looked alright in Nintendo Power, its a shame it got pushed back a bit.
Fatal Frame and Sadness sound awesome, especially Sadness.

Back