The state of music?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
In this day and age we are in, there is a lot of music, many different genres, styles etc.
More and more we are seeing less one hit wonders (trust me we still have a few) but even back in the 90's there was so many one hit wonders, so many of your favorite tracks were considered to fall in this category.
There was still muchmusic/mtv back then, but now along with the great band coverage on myspace, so many people are given the shot to stardom, and gain many new fans in different ways.
Sure there is still downloading and that may affect cd sales, but with the new things out now and whatever there is in the future, downloading may be come less and less of a problem. (May happen still, but maybe not as much).
Anyways I ranted and raved about many different topics here, but I am hoping to get some good discussion going here. Fellow wiichatters, how do you feel about the state of music?

Personally I think the music industry has gone stale in the past few years. Admittedly I've never been much of a fan of popular music in the first place, but at least before I could respect it. Now the only artists on the radio seem to be either talentless gangster rappers or identical NME-favourite indie bands. That's not to say I think all music nowadays is bad, but rather it largely gets ignored by the media.

Downloading isn't going to go away any time soon. I see it becoming even more common, especially now the music industry is finally catching onto it. Their absolute paranoia about piracy could backfire though- if they put too many anti-piracy/spyware things on the downloads they could end up with no one buying them and people will just go back to downloading them illegally.

mainstream sounds all the same.
like, mainstream always sounds similar.
but back in the 60s and crap you could understand what they were saying.
now its all about screaming and tons of clashing music, which imo, makes better party music than listening to on your ipod.
i dont know, besides that, it seems like all people use music for is to like..label themselves. its so easy for anyone to start saying they like so and so bands and start listening to crap, then they magically change their whole wardrobe and what not.
my point:
music is now a statement more than it is actual music.

I agree with Napalmbrain the music industry has gone dry. I feel that they are putting out to much of that teeny bopper stuff. No one really has meaning behind there music anymore. I feel since the 90's when the grunge era was around music was good. But since then i havent felt it.

And yes downloading will never go away, but in all aspects if u really look at it downloading helps the artist. For me atleast if i download something and like it, i will go out and buy there album.

I know people will prob disagree with me but this is just my opinon.

Gaz said:
... one hit wounders, ...

Sorry I thought that was funny, not trying to be prickish ...

'The Music Scene' has been downhill for the last fifteen years. Before that the radio and music channels would play different kinds of good music, whereas today you get "play new song, now play ten other songs exactly like that, then that first song and the rest never get played again, new new song comes out and that cycle continues etc."

And the Green Day I knew back in the 90s would never play with U2. THERE IS NOTHING PUNK ABOUT PUNK ANYMORE. Punk used to all different colors like tye-dye now it all washed out into one sound. Punk now officially blows chunks.

-Signed "Everthing was Better in the 90s Guy" :yesnod:

Last edited:
I think Music is more diverse these days. Most negative minded individuals will bash the mainstream music, which is ignorent since their are so many artists who feel that way. I think the songs that the classic minded will enjoy are found in the indie bands. Their is good music out there, they're just not as popular.

Mindless ranting and random thoughts to follow:

I think rock music is in an awful state right now, and I really blame mainstream/MTV stations for making so little music available for public consumption. Ask ten random people walking down the street about who their favorite current rock band is. 9 out of 10 of them will probably say Nickelback or another **** pop band that is plastered all over the radio and labeled 'rock'. IMO, that really sucks.

Also, since when did Pop and Rock get grouped together into one genre? Last time I heard they were two completely different categories. I thought pop was like Modanna and Britney Spears, and rock was something like Metallica. Because pop and rock are grouped together, I have to listen to an hour of buckcherry and Nickelback on the radio just to hear a decent rock song.

This is a reason I am so thankful for the internet. I have discovered so many bands that I love today from online radio stations, and I know I would never had found these musicians if it weren't for the internet. If it weren't for online radio stations that cater to my likes, I may have ended up being an emo fan or something.

/rant
/random thoughts

Raider704 said:
Mindless ranting and random thoughts to follow:

I think rock music is in an awful state right now, and I really blame mainstream/MTV stations for making so little music available for public consumption. Ask ten random people walking down the street about who their favorite current rock band is. 9 out of 10 of them will probably say Nickelback or another **** pop band that is plastered all over the radio and labeled 'rock'. IMO, that really sucks.

Also, since when did Pop and Rock get grouped together into one genre? Last time I heard they were two completely different categories. I thought pop was like Modanna and Britney Spears, and rock was something like Metallica. Because pop and rock are grouped together, I have to listen to an hour of buckcherry and Nickelback on the radio just to hear a decent rock song.

This is a reason I am so thankful for the internet. I have discovered so many bands that I love today from online radio stations, and I know I would never had found these musicians if it weren't for the internet. If it weren't for online radio stations that cater to my likes, I may have ended up being an emo fan or something.

/rant
/random thoughts

I need to know, what do you listen to?

^^^^^^^^^^^

Lately I have been listening to a lot of Tool and Nine Inch Nails. I never used to like Nine Inch Nails, but something about them has grown on me.

(older)I've been listening to Metallica's first three albums a lot lately too, and I'm starting to check out some Megadeth. I could never really stand the lead singer, but I heard one of their songs I liked at a Ben + Jerry's a few weeks ago, so I'm giving them a listen.

Lol well...I have a completely different perspective on music then you guys... I can be labeled as punk i suppose. i listen to bands such as Three Days Grace, Linkin Park, Avenged SevenFold, and NickelBack.

Im actually very young and i think that age has a lot to do with music as well... im gonna assume that the above posters are at least 15-18 and are used to a completely different form of music. As for myself, I'm 12.

I heard the music that i listen to mainly from my friends. Not at all media based (but of course im sure my friends found their music from the media although).

And no one has mentioned how shows like Pop Idol and X Factor are polluting music? C'mon these TV shows are dangerous to the health of music.

The only thing I'm glad of when it comes to the UK music scene at the moment is that Boy/Girl Groups are finally melting away out of existence... unfortunatley they seem to arrange a come back tour whenever the money runs out.

Now if Acid Jazz would make a come back, I think I'd be happy for a while.

milliways said:
And no one has mentioned how shows like Pop Idol and X Factor are polluting music? C'mon these TV shows are dangerous to the health of music.
<_< they are pure humour, and then sometimes you get an amazing singer.
the people that are in it, and then in the charts for like 2 weeks, then there no more.

But people still buy their damn awful music...

As someone who went to school with Fame Academy's Alex Parks; shows like this are bad for music. She worked so much better when she was lead vocals in a band, rather than as a solo artist.

It is something that the folks I listened to growing up (I am 40something) are still going strong today (Rush, Genesis, Springsteen, even the Stones). I seriously wonder if anyone will be attending the Nickleback 30th year tour...

Its not that the music isn't good, but its more of a product to be marketed than music to be appreciated. Does anyone think that a 20+ minute song like Rush's 2112 would have a chance these days? Nope, its just quickie catch phrases that cater to what used to be called the MTV attention span (back when MTV actually had music).

American Idol is quite a cultural phenomenon as it has spawned some of the most successful acts around today (Clarkson, Underwood, Daughtry, etc). They have talent, but give it a few more years to see if they are still around.

Back