The state of music?

I'm not going to lie; I don't feel I'm old enough to compare the state of the music industry now to anything else. I've only truly known this music industry, so I'm used to the garbage pop bands stopping in to MTV for their share of cash, and stepping out for the next crappy band. I like the music that I like, and as long as there is music for me to enjoy, I think the music industry is doing just fine. Music services like iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, etc. have made paying for music more appealing than downloading it illegally. The fact of the matter is, music will always be alive. So I'm not worrying about the state of music any time soon.

i don't know if it's just the people i'm around, but it seems like now that the internet is more common than the newspaper, there isn't any ONE band that people like/know/listen to. almost everyone i know is a big fan of at least one band that not very many people know of. sometimes people just say they like unpopular bands because they're so anti-pop, though. but my point is that music seems more "spread out" because of so many different tastes. we don't really have a certain band or type of music that defines this era... maybe in ten years i'll think differently, but as of right now, i can't think of a current band that has "revolutionized" music...

well, maybe radiohead, but they were really 90's.

i also agree with sovieto about the type of music you listen to defines your personality/friends/appearance more than it should. but i think it's always done that.

There havent been a lot of well written, hits, becuase we have been plagued unfortunately with rap. Don't stray from the real music. Rock is the only kind that will survive the longest.

People don't like the mainstream music because their hasn't been a defined hit that everyone listens to; The Beatles, Stones, CCR. I still say it's because of the diversity of music. If you listen to T-Pain, you're not gonna like the Bravery or even guys like Akon who kinda stem from rap(r&b but whatever), just like if you like queens of the stone age you're not gonna like the pop stuff Plain White Tees have. There are a lot of dif genres of music, but people are very narrow minded, which causes them to only like their small portion of mainstream music, if any (classic rock fans hate everything,NOWDAYS although Wolfmother, Jet, and plenty of other indie bands exist.)

Last edited:
I think the hip hop and the rap is crap!!!! Some many students (kids) in my school are talking like they are from a another planet. this is what one told me (we are from the hood) I thought he said we are from the same hoodie What does hood mean. i don,t even know this idiot. and then some kid called me a dog? WTF and some other kid called me a homie. A home? WOW WTF It is the F*** Rap and hip hop. I looked at that boogie. All of the songs are crap. They even have a song from the black eyed peas. Black peas that have eyes ? WTF

Eh, I'm not too interested in indie bands. I listen mostly to "mainstream" rock of 20-40 years ago :p.

Agreed with the guy ^up there^ who complains of the longevity of bands. For those crying "diversity".......ugh.....

Ever freaking heard of pink floyd? They are like....20 different bands. haha.

@edit @ bigjake. either you're the stupidest person ever.....or your jokes just suck......hard....

Brawny said:
@edit @ bigjake. either you're the stupidest person ever.....or your jokes just suck......hard....

your just an idiot and\or drunk dont make fun of the power full bigjake52 just joking but i am not an idiot

Well, this is a fun little paradox. By denying my suggestion, you have admitted to not noticing the OR in my statement, thus making you, an idiot.

muahhhaa....meh. I is soooo bored here.

Led Zep FTW! ~fini

I just wish I could turn on the radio, and listen to some Big Band or Swing music.

Everything today is either rap, pop with some guitar thrown in it, or one of the many types of rock.

And every time I've glanced at MTV or VH1 (I despise both those channels,) I see no music. At all.

The only real station that plays music is GAC.
If you want to listen to some country music on the television without the bombardment of reality TV shows, tune into GAC.
They play music, surprisingly. And it's actually good (well, if you're into country, that is. Sad to say, country isn't popular these days among the youth.)

ARav989 said:
Lol well...I have a completely different perspective on music then you guys... I can be labeled as punk i suppose. i listen to bands such as Three Days Grace, Linkin Park, Avenged SevenFold, and NickelBack.

None of those bands are anywhere near punk.....

Trulen said:
I just wish I could turn on the radio, and listen to some Big Band or Swing music.

Everything today is either rap, pop with some guitar thrown in it, or one of the many types of rock.

And every time I've glanced at MTV or VH1 (I despise both those channels,) I see no music. At all.

The only real station that plays music is GAC.
If you want to listen to some country music on the television without the bombardment of reality TV shows, tune into GAC.
They play music, surprisingly. And it's actually good (well, if you're into country, that is. Sad to say, country isn't popular these days among the youth.)
IMF is a pretty good music channel too, if you have sattelite, don't know many people into swing either.
O and this is like the first or second time i've seen you post, that's pretty cool.:smilewinkgrin:

The state of music right now is horrible, its like ****ing, gay. Like rlly music shouldnt just be three cords on a guitar pounded over and over again with shitty lyrics, music also shouldn't be 2 notes on a piano, 2 strings on a guitar and N and F bombs for lyricss. Music also shouldnt be wamming a guitar randomly and screaming at the top of your lungs. I miss the 80's heavy metalis were its it. myspace.com/ironmaiden -that music myspace.com/helloween - thats music myspace.com/dimmuborgir -thats music myspace.com/slayer - thats music. myspace.com/mychemicalromance THATS NOT MUSIC

Back