The toughs of the "teenager"

Z3wpk

Fusion Mongle
Oct 9, 2007
NY
Wii Online Code
4826-4175-7020-5555
Well you always here adults saying "Enjoy while you can because being an adult is hard." Recently I have been questioning that phrase in my mind.

The stereotype of a teenager is usually: drunk, dirty, drug-infested skater kid. That is actually a little part of the population in teenagers (in some areas). But what about the "normal" kids? Or are some of us normal in some eyes and other different? Whether or not you are a jock, prep, geek, goth, or even all put together, you are a teenager.

No matter what being a teenager has its troubles. Despite what everyone says if their happy or not. The girls/guys, the schoolwork, the enemies, the back-stabbing friends, the cliques, the identities. Everything defines you as a person, as a teenager.

Lets start with the relationships. Either you're in one or not, you know its always a problem. Now as a guy myself I have experienced first hand the pressure of being with someone you like alot. The pressure of that moment when your about to kiss her. Just everything. All this pressure builds up into one single moment you when you just crash and burn. That single moment when you just crack. That single moment when you just lose everything. And then it starts all over again. The pressure, the problems, the crashing, and the reseting. Its just the most difficult thing to lose someone you have a close relationship even if you don't "love" them. Just to lose someone. The world crashing down on you. Then it just restarting all over again. The false hope keeping you happy. Its just being a teenager like everyone says.

Now this is just one little bit of a whole world of problems, smaller problems, bigger problems, situations, everything. Its all dealt with is those years. All at the same time. just shooting right at you as you try and try and dodge when you just cant. Its all done as a drunk, dirty, drug-infested skater kid.

tell me what you think please just a little piece i threw together. open to discussion too

Nicely put.

To me, being a teenager means:
- You can't actually be depressed, instead you're just "lulz emo kid!1~"
- You can't get a decent part-time job because nobody will provide you with opportunities...it's either retail or food service
- You can't really be in love, it must just be a silly crush, right?
- Your problems are marginalized and dismissed, "just wait until you're older and have REAL problems", people say
- You're a loner and/or loser if you don't partake in recreational drug use and underage drinking
...I could go on and on...but the conclusion is you aren't taken seriously at all...

In 29 days I'll no longer be a teenager. I'm sure you can tell how gutted I am.

Last edited:
Even though life as a teenager may be frustrating, I can assure you that it is most likely a lot harder on adults. For example, adults have to worry about the cost of living expenses, paying for both taxes and bills, paying tuition fees for university (if their still attending), and finding a job that they enjoy and one that can help them get through life, commuting to and from work, paying mortgage and or rent, being in a relationship, raising and sporting their kids (if they have any) etc... Thus, even though the life of a teenager may be hectic, the life of an adult is most likely a lot more stressful.

Last edited:
Well, as a 22 year old, I can honestly say that being an adult is tougher.

Technically, anyone can be clinically depressed. But then there's a difference between clinical depression and feeling down/blue. And cutting your wrist probably isn't clinical. Clinical is when you have a lack of apetite, lack of sleep, lack of interest in sex, lack of interest in pretty much anything.

And the jobs thing - You should try living in Cornwall. Pretty much the only thing you can get if you don't have a Degree and experience is retail work or food service. And that's for adults too.

And the love thing. It is just a crush. It may hurt you emotionally, it may even scar you, but for there to be truely love, there has to be reciprication. Otherwise it's just infatuation. I know from experience. Just think of all those representations throughout time: Romeo's love was Juliet, not Rosaline. While he felt like he would die for either of them, only Juliet would do the same for him.

If people actually say ""just wait until you're older and have REAL problems", ask whether they mean knocking up two girls is worse than knocking up one, and then walk away. The funny thing about being an adult is responsibility, and not just having to justify yourself to your parents. If you do something wrong when you're not a minor: It could be anything like, divorce, losing your job, fines, jail time, etc... People generally think (to which I would disagree with), that responsibility starts at age 18, when it's concerning actual laws. Before that age, you get a slap on the wrist, thought of as "don't know any better" or just generally less punishment than the same action when you're an adult.

I also don't like the way kids regard non-conformity (which is supposedly "cool") as doing the same thing the "cool" kids do. If you want to be non-conformist, do whatever you want, not because somebody else wants you to, but because you want to. Following the crowd basically is conformity. Oh, and anti-conformity is a form of conformity: just that you do the opposite to what everyone else is doing. So when considering being a rebel, first consider who you're rebelling against.

Z3wpk said:
Well you always here adults saying "Enjoy while you can because being an adult is hard." Recently I have been questioning that phrase in my mind.

The stereotype of a teenager is usually: drunk, dirty, drug-infested skater kid. That is actually a little part of the population in teenagers (in some areas). But what about the "normal" kids? Or are some of us normal in some eyes and other different? Whether or not you are a jock, prep, geek, goth, or even all put together, you are a teenager.

No matter what being a teenager has its troubles. Despite what everyone says if their happy or not. The girls/guys, the schoolwork, the enemies, the back-stabbing friends, the cliques, the identities. Everything defines you as a person, as a teenager.

Lets start with the relationships. Either you're in one or not, you know its always a problem. Now as a guy myself I have experienced first hand the pressure of being with someone you like alot. The pressure of that moment when your about to kiss her. Just everything. All this pressure builds up into one single moment you when you just crash and burn. That single moment when you just crack. That single moment when you just lose everything. And then it starts all over again. The pressure, the problems, the crashing, and the reseting. Its just the most difficult thing to lose someone you have a close relationship even if you don't "love" them. Just to lose someone. The world crashing down on you. Then it just restarting all over again. The false hope keeping you happy. Its just being a teenager like everyone says.

Now this is just one little bit of a whole world of problems, smaller problems, bigger problems, situations, everything. Its all dealt with is those years. All at the same time. just shooting right at you as you try and try and dodge when you just cant. Its all done as a drunk, dirty, drug-infested skater kid.

tell me what you think please just a little piece i threw together. open to discussion too

c'est la vie

No matter what your age , these issues face us all . Pier pressure and emotional turmoil is not exclusive to any generation .
But I think as your self awareness and resolve grows , many problems become easier to understand and deal with .

BUT while you are at school , spending nearly all of your time around certain groups , cliques or steryotypes , its then that you are tested most vicously .
Fitting in and being like a certain group or niche takes on an amplified meaning because at school you are surrounded by such things and despite how individual you want to be , you still want to feel a sense of belonging and without conforming to anything you may well face being "outcast" .

When you leave school , move out , get a job etc the world gets so much bigger .
As you get older people have thier own lifes to think about and start to care less about what you are and take you at face value (although idiots are idiots and thats that no matter what age)

POSTED BY SYNTAX"Thus, even though the life of a teenager may be hectic, the life of an adult is most likely a lot more stressful."

It all depends on the people who you are comparing

my teenage years were far more stressful than my adult life ,

Last edited:
DRMARIO said:
Assuming makes an arse out of you and me =).

That isn't always the case.
It's more often than not.

Although I failed to take into account when two people actually do like each other. Then, well, it could be love, but not in the "s/he's the only one for me, and I can't live without them" kind of way. But to be honest, there's no such thing as a "true" love. Nor a love at first sight. There's attraction and then there's love itself.

How can it be "one true love"? This assumes that there's always somebody for everybody, and only one. There's people that work well together, in many ways, but then there's always somebody else you'll always be good with.

Although, I do think that it's often a case of hormones (which teenagers have raging in them), which can either give the idea of love (through attraction) or lust. The reason every adult says it, is because they've been through it. Thinking they liked a girl/guy in the teenage years, only to find they either a, didn't really know them b, found someone better suited to them or c, just liked the idea of the "chase". There could be other reasons, but I think that's the basic principle.

I suppose it's part of the whole "growing up" thing.

DRMARIO said:
I agreed with everything in that post, save the part that I highlighted.
Believe you me, You can. And that feeling never goes away..ever.
I know you can!
My post was talking about how older people view teenagers, how they dismiss our feelings. OF COURSE you can be in love. =)

I think that squall wants to be able to define love ,
but fails to recognise that its a highly diverse and volatile emotion
and who says that love and hormones are completely seperate

Squall7 said:
Well, as a 22 year old, I can honestly say that being an adult is tougher.

Technically, anyone can be clinically depressed. But then there's a difference between clinical depression and feeling down/blue. And cutting your wrist probably isn't clinical. Clinical is when you have a lack of apetite, lack of sleep, lack of interest in sex, lack of interest in pretty much anything.

And the jobs thing - You should try living in Cornwall. Pretty much the only thing you can get if you don't have a Degree and experience is retail work or food service. And that's for adults too.

And the love thing. It is just a crush. It may hurt you emotionally, it may even scar you, but for there to be truely love, there has to be reciprication. Otherwise it's just infatuation. I know from experience. Just think of all those representations throughout time: Romeo's love was Juliet, not Rosaline. While he felt like he would die for either of them, only Juliet would do the same for him.

If people actually say ""just wait until you're older and have REAL problems", ask whether they mean knocking up two girls is worse than knocking up one, and then walk away. The funny thing about being an adult is responsibility, and not just having to justify yourself to your parents. If you do something wrong when you're not a minor: It could be anything like, divorce, losing your job, fines, jail time, etc... People generally think (to which I would disagree with), that responsibility starts at age 18, when it's concerning actual laws. Before that age, you get a slap on the wrist, thought of as "don't know any better" or just generally less punishment than the same action when you're an adult.

I also don't like the way kids regard non-conformity (which is supposedly "cool") as doing the same thing the "cool" kids do. If you want to be non-conformist, do whatever you want, not because somebody else wants you to, but because you want to. Following the crowd basically is conformity. Oh, and anti-conformity is a form of conformity: just that you do the opposite to what everyone else is doing. So when considering being a rebel, first consider who you're rebelling against.
There is clinical depression and situational depression. Self mutilation is DEFINITELY clinical, and everyone has different symptoms that fall under the umbrella of depression.

How can you say that love for teenagers is just a crush? You make the unfair assumption that the love is always unrequited. We're not talking about girls lusting over Johnny Depp posters here, (eww, btw), we're talking about having an emotionally intimate, powerful connection with someone. Like DRMARIO said, some of us are mature. Some of the things you said were pretty insulting.

Bringing up the fact that adults have bills, mortgages, etc, is irrelevant. I'm well aware being an adult brings more responsibility and subsequently more stress. ALL I'm talking about right now is people not taking us seriously, dismissing our feelings, and stereotyping us. It isn't fun. End of.

wow big discussion, but let me say this: this is just a piece of writing. I just wanted constructive criticism and maybe a discussion. Tell me what you think. It does mean alot to me. But go on with your educated convo's lol. I wish i was smart lmao

EDIT:sorry guys i didnt have much time to post ill post some more on this when i get home tonight :)

Last edited:
Heh, I am 13 yet I hate the culture of my age and how we get looked down upon when not all of us are like the stereotype.

It's not that teenagers are stupid, it's that their horomonal and stupid. It's best to listen to adults.
Adults were kids too, you know... they juuuuust might know what the hell they're talking about.
Oh, and I thought that I might add that it's easy to be in love with a girl when you don't live with her, and someone else pays all the bills.

Last edited:
BigORhyme said:
It's not that teenagers are stupid, it's that their horomonal and stupid. It's best to listen to adults.
Well...that was eloquent.

BigORhyme said:
It's not that teenagers are stupid, it's that their horomonal and stupid.

So not only am I stupid, I am stupid because of the changing anatomy that I accompany?

:lol:

Also it is Hormonal*

Back