The Universe

Napalmbrain said:
I think the Universe is infinitely large, since the current evidence points towards a "flat" universe. For you guys, a flat universe is one in which the rules of Euclidean geometry (the geometry you learn in school, rather than the various types of geometry in general relativity) apply. If it is flat, then the Universe is infinitely large, and the expansion of the Universe is actually the gaps between galaxies getting larger. It's possible the Universe is "closed" (sort of like living on the surface of a balloon) or "open" (similar to a flat universe, but with hyperbolic geometry instead) too. It all depends on the value of the density parameter Ω, which is thought to be close to or exactly 1.

Haha I've heard about this! I personally can relate and understand the "open", saddle-shaped universe. I've read up a bit on astrophysics ("The Universe - A Biography" by John Gribbin is an amazing read), and I love it! I'm not really convinced with the Big Crunch though... Doesn't work for me.

I'm personally more into astrobiology though ("Life in the Universe" by Lewis E. Dartnell - EVEN BETTER THAN HARRY POTTER).

Inducing gravity on space-craft... I'd feel cheated.

DP said:
Who will livein in space for a long time effect the human body

Presuming you meant how, people are becoming more and more able to spend extended periods in space. One of the things that the ISS has been good for is exploring this idea. People learning to monitor and look after their body in microgravity will put us in good stead for the planned missions for Mars after 2020.

Still forming my ideas...

But a post to subscribe.

String isnt' out of the question.

@ Prinny. To simulate gravity, you just need pressure, a human centrifuge would do just fine.

DRMARIO said:
I found out recently that what I believe, is exactly the same as Stephen Hawking. The universe came out of nothing, and it made itsself by itsself.
I believe in Time Travel, the warping of space-time, and I'm looking forward to when Dr Ronald Mallett completes his funds, and begins work on his machine.

I do also believe in alternate universes, perhaps stacked up between different 'Branes'. The whole Brane thing is just an estimated guess by scientists at the moment, nothing can be proved. But, like I said, I think there is an infinite amount of universes out in the 'nothing'.
One of the main thoreys of time macheian is when ones bulit you get go back before it was bult because it whouldnt exist

Other wise we whould have them now

Brawny said:
Still forming my ideas...

But a post to subscribe.

String isnt' out of the question.

@ Prinny. To simulate gravity, you just need pressure, a human centrifuge would do just fine.

String theory? That would be all well and good if they could actually come up with a way to test it. Mind you, some theorists have actually moved on from string theory to the so-called M-theory, where instead of strings you have 11-dimensional "membranes" instead. Interestingly, M-theory allows for the existence of other universes, and would provide a possible explanation for the Big Bang (the collision of two membranes). Again, there's no evidence for M-theory either.

Napalmbrain said:
String theory? That would be all well and good if they could actually come up with a way to test it. Mind you, some theorists have actually moved on from string theory to the so-called M-theory, where instead of strings you have 11-dimensional "membranes" instead. Interestingly, M-theory allows for the existence of other universes, and would provide a possible explanation for the Big Bang (the collision of two membranes). Again, there's no evidence for M-theory either.

Yeah, I mentioned string at the top of the page and Kwon just carried it on so yes, it was ST he was reffering too.

Yeah, I looked a little into M a while back after hearing it on a show about 2 weeks ago, seemed interesting but again like you said..no way to test. Weren't they constructing something though? Where they get fired through 'a pipe' and meet in the middle?

DRMARIO said:
You don't mean the experiment where they're measuring Gravitational waves, are you? Because that's not too successful at the moment..
If you're talking about the Large Hadron Collider, I'm not sure they've even started yet..Actually, on second thoughts, they haven't.

I'm sure one was set to happen in may...some scientists are skeptic and think it may cause a worm but hopes are they'll recreate a mini big-bang...

Fermilab has been operational for a few years, CERN too. I forget what the newest one is called.

They're particle colliders...I think that's the official generic name.

Isn't M theory based on strings?

Brawny said:
Fermilab has been operational for a few years, CERN too. I forget what the newest one is called.

They're particle colliders...I think that's the official generic name.

Isn't M theory based on strings?

I meant to paragraph the collidors away from M-Theory...sorry about that.

Yes, M-Theory is basically the step beyond string theory in a way...it unifies string theories.

DRMARIO said:
You don't mean the experiment where they're measuring Gravitational waves, are you? Because that's not too successful at the moment..
If you're talking about the Large Hadron Collider, I'm not sure they've even started yet..Actually, on second thoughts, they haven't.

CANT POST THAT PIC
CANT POST THAT PIC
CANT POST THAT PIC
CANT POST THAT PIC

Cpt.McCloud said:
I'm sure one was set to happen in may...some scientists are skeptic and think it may cause a worm but hopes are they'll recreate a mini big-bang...

I think that's a little extreme. I mean, cosmic rays often hit the Earth with much bigger energies than anything the LHC will ever produce, and they don't produce mini big bangs.

DRMARIO said:

Hehe, they're never going to detect gravitational waves with the current detectors. They're too small, and it's all too easy to give false readings (because they have to be ultra-sensitive). They are planning to launch a detector into space, which should do a much better job.

Just thought it worth mentioning, one of the professors in our physics department is among those who hunt for gravitational waves.

Darkprinny said:
CANT POST THAT PIC
CANT POST THAT PIC
CANT POST THAT PIC
CANT POST THAT PIC

The sad part is, I'm not remotely surprised that such a pic would exist on the internet.

Napalmbrain said:

11 dimension? I can't even fathom 4.

Wont antoher big bang make another universe ?
For some resion my brains not workin like it was yesterday so myimput to this thread will just be my useual guff
(I blame it on me going out side)
Napalmbrain said:
The sad part is, I'm not remotely surprised that such a pic would exist on the internet.
The large hardon collider is a strange pic

crazyman2 said:
11 dimension? I can't even fathom 4.

Well, there'd be the normal 3 space dimensions and 1 time dimension which we're all familiar with, plus extra space dimensions which are "folded up" (for lack of a better description) so that they are too small for us to experience. Don't ask me how that works, it's very complicated maths and I won't pretend to understand it.

Back