The wifi usb adapter is extremely annoying.

ZiG

WiiChat Member
May 27, 2007
So my wireless router won't work and I can't afford one atm because I don't need a wireless network for anything else. So I bought the wifi usb adapter. The thing is, the stupid thing will pop up a bubble saying a user is connected each time the wii synchs with it. Which is like every 5 minutes when it's in standby. Is there ANY way to turn that &%$#$ notification off?

well , its not that annoying you know.. just click on it and it will dissapear lol

timeassasin said:
well , its not that annoying you know.. just click on it and it will dissapear lol

It is when you work from home on your computer and watch movies and such. I know I can just unplug it or turn it off, and I do, i just wish there was a way to simply stop those notifications.

ZiG said:
It is when you work from home on your computer and watch movies and such. I know I can just unplug it or turn it off, and I do, i just wish there was a way to simply stop those notifications.

did you click that link I posted above? there is a troubleshooting section for the wifi usb adapter. :wtf:

Byuakuya said:
I also hate the adapters. A wireless router is so much better for online gaming.

It's not
Just make sure nothing internet based is working on your PC and you always get a good connection
So much better

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
did you click that link I posted above? there is a troubleshooting section for the wifi usb adapter. :wtf:

Yes, I did. But not only is there nothing at all wrong with the thing, it doesn't make any mentioning of how to disable that popup bubble. :wtf:

I know nothing about the WiFi USB attachment since I don't own one. I just know alittle from what I have read on the Nintendo Website help area.

Here are my questions:

Do you own a Wireless router, and if so why are you using the WiFi since the Wii can be run of the router

where is the WiFi plugged into the Wii or a computer. I think the pop ups notification has a setting in the computer.

What version software are you using, 1.04?

What OS of Windows are you using since Vista is not compatible?

If all else fails fill this out and you will get a response in regards to your problem

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

Last edited:
I do own a wireless router. I am using the wifi usb adapter because the router isn't working and since I sold my laptop, I don't really need to buy a new one. the usb adapter was far cheaper than a new router.

The wifi has to plug into a computer. it interfaces with the wii through wifi.

Yes it's 1.04

Windows xp sp2

Hmm.. I guess I can try that. But since there is no apparent setting to disable notifications, I was hoping someone would tell me how to alter it so it would not notify me anymore. I doubt Nintendo would give me such an answer, but we'll see..

Which application specifically is generating the pop up bobbles? Are they system messages generated by the network status or is it from the Nintendo driver?

HA! Im a ninja! I found out how to disable ALL pop up bubbles forever!
1 Run regedit
2 Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
3 create a new dword named EnableBalloonTips.
4 give it a hex value of 0
5 Profit err I mean reboot

Last edited:
Uhhh system messages?

grrrr.jpg

edit: Oh, that might work! :)

Realize you won't get any ever. No messages to say your network is unplugged, no message to say your downloads are done, nothing to say when the antivirus is turned off. I tested it before posting this on my system and it worked perfectly.

Yeah, well I don't think I would miss them much. I still wish I could alter the code, but this would be a good last resort.

A discovery.... the Nintendo Wifi adapter and software is nothing more than a repackaged PCTel Softap! I can't believe we missed this the entire time.

Edit: After figuring this out I found a way to restore the original SoftAP functionality! If you want you can ditch the crap Nintendo software and enable the adapter to be an access point for all devices (like a PSP or another computer)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/390312

Last edited:
Back