The Wii Browser is not free!

every once and a while i hope on my couch and watch some quick anime on youtube...=D

Ypu need to read the dates on theese things man, at comic con they had the full version of Opera ( or was it the beta?) and im pretty sure they said it was free, anyway if its not ill just stick eeith the beta.

just making sure...
lets say i bought the browser between april and may...i will keep my browser forever without ever having to pay again? Just making sure that there arent any monthly fees after june...since they called it TRIAL version...thx:)

Nfanboy said:
no F you Jerrod.
now why do I hate Fanboys again? Anyway I said I was sorry and I found out it was onyl a rumor that you HAD to pay for the Full version

wiirules123 said:
whats the difference from the trial version and the final version?
Hopefully they upgrade the Flash Player thats the only thing I can see wrong with the browser.

s9am_me said:
i remember seeing an article that said Firefox is coming to the Wii. If so, Firefox all the way!
...think about it. come on why the heck would Nintendo make its own internet system AND then have firefox come in? Beta means its gonna have the features PLUS more. Not a new internet browser.

Hmm...I'm pretty sure that the dev's that worked (and are working) on adapting the Opera Browser for use on Wii are getting paid. I'm pretty sure that it costs Nintendo to offer bandwidth and server space to support downloads. I don't mind paying $5.00. That's pretty much a bargain. Look at it like this, you could be paying $50.00 a year for XBOX live, then paying for each individual download, then paying...ahem...the equiv of about $8.00 if you want to do something like change you online gamer tag.
I'd have no problem paying for the upgrade to full even though I have the trial version. It's not like their charging $19 or $29 for a piece of software. $5.00 is pretty much a drop in the bucket.

ScuzzBuster said:
Hmm...I'm pretty sure that the dev's that worked (and are working) on adapting the Opera Browser for use on Wii are getting paid. I'm pretty sure that it costs Nintendo to offer bandwidth and server space to support downloads. I don't mind paying $5.00. That's pretty much a bargain. Look at it like this, you could be paying $50.00 a year for XBOX live, then paying for each individual download, then paying...ahem...the equiv of about $8.00 if you want to do something like change you online gamer tag.
I'd have no problem paying for the upgrade to full even though I have the trial version. It's not like their charging $19 or $29 for a piece of software. $5.00 is pretty much a drop in the bucket.
Just to let you know, Xbox Live is doing the best job at internet service. Even though there isn't a browser, they have kick ass games compared to what the wii is offering for online. PS3 hasn't even gotten close to Xbox Live and their service is free too. People like Xbox Live so much that they don't have a problem paying that much. Also, the games only cost if you wanna download content or pay for arcade games. Online play from REAL games are just included in the service. Wanna know why gamertags cost to change? Do you know how many people HAVE gamertags? It would be a huge hassle to allow people to instantly change ur tag. People would be changing all the time. Wii doesn't even have gamertags. They have "wii codes"... ("Uh excuse me nintendo, will it cost me to change my "wii code" i don't like my last four digits.") Gotta get all the facts, not some of em.
Wii hasn't even released a game out yet for online. The internet trial, everybody votes, and updates are only online. Brawl will be good, but thats FAR away.

PandaExpress 2 said:
Just to let you know, Xbox Live is doing the best job at internet service. Even though there isn't a browser, they have kick ass games compared to what the wii is offering for online. PS3 hasn't even gotten close to Xbox Live and their service is free too. People like Xbox Live so much that they don't have a problem paying that much.

Don't get me wrong. I actually have 2 XBOX live accounts, one's mine and one's my son, but comparably, Wii Connect is a bargain for you get beyond the games. Until we get some online games for Wii, we won't really know WHAT we're getting on that end.

I also certainly see the reason why they charge to change gamertags, I just think it's a lot higher than it needs to be for a deterrant. A couple of bucks I think would be sufficient to keep people from changing them every week.
I'm not complaining about live. I love it. But overall I can't see how people can complain about WiiConnect costs when at the point you don't even have to pay to access the network.

There are a lot of thing's we're paying for with LIVE that we don't get with WiiConnect at this point...online/game status and stats tracking just to skim the surface. Just using the comparison to slap somone upside the head before the gift horse bites them. You're really getting quite a bit at no charge with WiiConnect.

Last edited:
mr_resi said:
Ypu need to read the dates on theese things man, at comic con they had the full version of Opera ( or was it the beta?) and im pretty sure they said it was free, anyway if its not ill just stick eeith the beta.

If you don't know for sure then you probably shouldn't tell people that they need to read the dates. Just a tip.

ScuzzBuster said:
Don't get me wrong. I actually have 2 XBOX live accounts, one's mine and one's my son, but comparably, Wii Connect is a bargain for you get beyond the games. Until we get some online games for Wii, we won't really know WHAT we're getting on that end.

I also certainly see the reason why they charge to change gamertags, I just think it's a lot higher than it needs to be for a deterrant. A couple of bucks I think would be sufficient to keep people from changing them every week.
I'm not complaining about live. I love it. But overall I can't see how people can complain about WiiConnect costs when at the point you don't even have to pay to access the network.

There are a lot of thing's we're paying for with LIVE that we don't get with WiiConnect at this point...online/game status and stats tracking just to skim the surface. Just using the comparison to slap somone upside the head before the gift horse bites them. You're really getting quite a bit at no charge with WiiConnect.

OHHH ok I see what you mean. I believe maybe it is higher than it should be for a gamertag, but like I said before, people would be changing like crazy. People who are actually willing to pay that much will do it. Heck, I did. My name I have now is actually my gamertag ^_^

About the wii, completely agree about how people are complaining about how much it costs to pay 5 bucks for the browser. If people are really willing to pay 5 bucks, they are gonna. If they want it that bad, they are gonna pay for it.

babiiverson said:
Just use a computer =S
Try thinking outside the wet paper bag....errr, outside the box. :p
The Opera Browser is the portal that busts the doors wide open in capabilities for the Wii.

The browser isn't just for "browsing the web", but as an open-platform for development. Games and applications... I'm not going to be surprised when Google offers Wii-optimized versions of their online office suite apps.

as soon as you look at this you know of course if you are an early adopter, you wont have to worry bout buying the silly thing, so if you want the browser, just buy a wii! its simple and I mean, who hasnt bought a wii yet?

Not me, thats for sure, I love the Wii! =3

I Hope They'll Add The Capabilities To View Windows Media Player Files And Real Player Files.

Your a fool, this isnt microsoft moneybags that can't make games for their life. This is nintendo, the trail is free get that and be satisfied, or IF you even have to pay pay that one time go 10 bucks. Your a moron.

Back