the wii can rival the graphics of ps3/360

Have you ever tossed your systems on a SD/ED then taken them over to a HD? you would understand after that for sure.

It looks like you have a decent size SD/ED CRT t.v. in your profile pic T3kNi9e, you can't tell me you don't notice a HUGE differance between the systems on that then when on an HDTV.

I've had all 3 systems on both my t.v's and although its a cleaner picture with the HD consoles, you will not notice the great details on a SD/ED as you do on a HD. This is also where you notice the downfalls of the Wii alot more.

The majority of people with an HD console that I know don't even have an HDTV yet. They don't know what they are missing without it! I personally wouldn't buy the HD consoles without a HDTV first, you just miss out on so much of what you paid for.

ssbb_lover said:
Using Youtube videos to show a graphics comparison...wow. Also, you don't even give a video for a good PS3/360 game to let us truly decide. It's like saying, "Well, if you print screen, upload it to Photoshop, turn it upside down, have blurry vision, and squint...it looks just like PS3 graphics!"

LMFAO !!!1:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pwned. Simply Pwned.

Why this thread exists is beyond my scope of understanding.
To me TP game play looks better that that render video x3
But really any system can push out fmv.

Another noteworthy difference between 480p and 1080p resolutions is that the 1080p resolution is going to take roughly 4x the horsepower to render the same scene since you're dealing with 4x the pixels. Granted, you are getting more detail in your picture but it's certainly a trade off. The PS3 and 360 are both more capable than the Wii but I don't know if I'd put money on them being 4x as powerful graphically.

Anyone who monkeyed around with game programming in DOS probably remembers what a benefit Mode X was to all of us. It was an unofficial VGA resolution you could get through some video register manipulation. It wasn't the highest resolution available but it allowed for 256 colors and used up little enough VRAM that you could double buffer. The trade off to a lower resolution was certainly worth it in that case.

Dorkfish said:
go away, nobodys talking to you.
You have no right to say that. Your name is dorkfish, your avatar is a fish, and your sig is a fish saying dorkfish. You cannot insult anyone. you have to be in some way better than they are, and since you openly call yourself a dork, you obviously are not. I'll finish this by saying: go away, nobody's talking to you. Bich.

ShawVAuto said:
I have to agree that the Wii's specs were NEVER officially revealed which I think is funny. People always talk about what they do not know. ALL specs on the Wii are rumored, 100% rumored. I think it's funny that Nintendo NEVER once revealed their specs but the other two quickly bragged about their multi-threaded processes, etc. "A quiet company holds the biggest secrets" I say. People should start talking about the Wii once it is in fact revealed.

This is actually smart because the Wii GPu is not made like the other GPUs. It is a fixed function shader GPU and the other are really easily programed. The GPU of the Wii is programmable yet it is not as easy to set up ways of doing this with out going all assembly on it. You know coding the metal as they like to say.

If nintendo would have just released the specs then every one would just look and say what ever, which is what is happening any way...LOL But the key to this whole thing is how far can you optimize the system.

Seriously normal mapping and higher texture resolution would easily make the Wii look next gen or even on par with the HD stuff. Thanks to normal mapping the polygon count doesn't matter as much as it did. The Wii is very capable of making enough polys to do some really good normal maps yet the big question is at what resolution and can the compression tech hard coded in it actually help?

I posted those specs so you could see too ways of getting the same performance. It is know that direct x 9 level graphics can do normal mapping and the 7 gen geforces can also.

If I could post some from my current work I would but NDAs and such are hard to get around. So I'll point you to factor 5 for your proof. Or you can just go to z brush.com and see some examples.
Here is one...
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/attachment.php?attachmentid=45140

Pay attention to the wireframe of the model. That is doable on the Wii res evil is crawling with models like that. Even if you wanted to consolidate the wireframe and reduce the polygon count you could still get some great normal maps outputs in game.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=040154

This is Sebcesoir's work and it was ok'd for public viewing. It illustrates my point though.

Here is a better one!
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/attachment.php?attachmentid=29504

Do you see what I am saying now? You don't have to believe the specs but I do know what I'm talking about and this art rocks! Just look at those wireframes and you'll see that even Ut2004 art with normal maps would be sweet. Ut was on the xbox 1 and the Wii is at the xbox 1 levels if not more. That more could easily be better normal mapping thanks to compression. We all know factor 5 is very good at math too.

Last edited:
T3kNi9e said:
I can't tell if you disagree with me, agree with me, talking about me or even responding to me o_O

I was talking S#*T!! Just playin'... I was just adding to the conversation.

:lol: Why all the hate guys?:lol:

hal2814 said:
Another noteworthy difference between 480p and 1080p resolutions is that the 1080p resolution is going to take roughly 4x the horsepower to render the same scene since you're dealing with 4x the pixels. Granted, you are getting more detail in your picture but it's certainly a trade off. The PS3 and 360 are both more capable than the Wii but I don't know if I'd put money on them being 4x as powerful graphically.

Yes, You are correct. A lot of kids complain about the Wii's optical disk space being inferior to the 360's and PS3's. Yet they fail to realize that HD is a HUGE memory hog so the extra storage mostly goes to HD not improved graphics.
The Wii has enough disk space to produce beautiful graphics, it's the developers we should worry about.

LOL did you just here they are going to use some crazy new compression to make all your games fit for Wii ware on a 512 internal memory. Now if they can do this for your Wii ware games then what if they can do this for textures and other GPU post processes!

Seriously Hal2814 got it right not quite 4x as powerful because of them being tied to HD resolutions. Hey but spec wise you guys can argue all you want. I mean fanboys far and wide where wrong about the PS2 in the end...LOL Really you you should get to know your tech before you call your self hardcore.

Caliko said:
My computer sucks. so it wont load the video. .

Reading/Hearing this never ceases to amaze me. ALL Internet based video will play just fine on ANY Intel/AMD PC made in the last TEN YEARS.

Anyone saying otherwise is full of crap.

Now, what is likely keeping you from doing so is incorrectly installed or corrupted software. People who frequent those "video" sites tend to get their software screwed up.

Sadly, the most assured fix for this is to wipe and reload clean from scratch, but most people would rather whine about their crappy PC than to actually fix the problem. No I'm not saying that you are one of those, but I run into enough of them to give me the right to say what I say.

strommsarnac said:
Reading/Hearing this never ceases to amaze me. ALL Internet based video will play just fine on ANY Intel/AMD PC made in the last TEN YEARS.

Anyone saying otherwise is full of crap.

Now, what is likely keeping you from doing so is incorrectly installed or corrupted software. People who frequent those "video" sites tend to get their software screwed up.

Sadly, the most assured fix for this is to wipe and reload clean from scratch, but most people would rather whine about their crappy PC than to actually fix the problem. No I'm not saying that you are one of those, but I run into enough of them to give me the right to say what I say.

NO dude, My computer really sucks that bad and I'm not whining. It will prolly load the video, but will take about 5 minutes to load maybe 4 seconds. I'd rather not wait.... so stop bitching unless your willing to buy me a new computer.

WiitnessID said:
Seriously normal mapping and higher texture resolution would easily make the Wii look next gen or even on par with the HD stuff. Thanks to normal mapping the polygon count doesn't matter as much as it did.

The Wii is very capable of making enough polys to do some really good normal maps yet the big question is at what resolution and can the compression tech hard coded in it actually help?

You know, you wade through dozens of clueless posts (certainly not supported by any hands-on experience) then you get a post like this.

Fantastic assessment and incredibly interesting food-for-thought (the moderate poly, high detailed tex-map capability).

WiitnessID said:
If I could post some from my current work I would but NDAs and such are hard to get around.

Yeah, my buddies in the industry flirt with danger (and fiscal security) by letting me see some work prior to release, but they know the trail ends with me.

Brawl_King said:
You have no right to say that. Your name is dorkfish, your avatar is a fish, and your sig is a fish saying dorkfish. You cannot insult anyone. you have to be in some way better than they are, and since you openly call yourself a dork, you obviously are not. I'll finish this by saying: go away, nobody's talking to you. Bich.

You have no right to say that. Your name is nooblet, your avatar is a chick you beat off to every night, and your sig is saying "help me! Im a loser!". You can not insult anyone. You are in no way better than anyone, and since the only person you've had sex with is your dog, you obviously are retarded. I'll finish this by saying "Kids, don't screw your mom, or you might end up with this guy."
Bitch

Back