The Wii innovative marketing strategy

Joe

Banned
Oct 23, 2006
Parker CO
Wii Online Code
5856-5939-3035-0479
Nintendo Wii is coming out in less then a week and will need all the ways to advertise it self to boost it popularity, but the head of Nintendo America Reggie, isn’t following the traditional way to advertise the console on TV as a paid advertisement. Reggie is finding way to market the console innovatively to match the consoles Innovativeness. It has been featured on the hit TV show south park where it was the focus off attention and this marketing strategy has paid off. The Nintendo Wii has been seen in magazines such as Wall Street Journal, made People magazine's Style Watch gift guide issue, was the focus of attention on BusinessWeek article and had also featured in other magazines.

All this hype and anticipation of this console without a single TV ad, this could marketing strategy could make Nintendo Wii one of the most anticipated consoles ever but Reggie business strategy has been questioned but he stays optimistic and in an recent interview said "(Our competitors) will see our results, and they'll see how much of a challenge and dogfight this new era of gaming will be.” I don’t think Microsoft should be taking Nintendo so lightly, eh?

2 of my back home friends here and one of my friends at uni, chalk up 3 more for Nintendo sales ^_^, they aint preordered though so unlucky for them.

+Maniacal=Maniac+ said:
Ditto......

Ditto..... as well.
Ive gotten..leme count.. 1..2...4....5......6 ppl to convert. yes i no i skipped 3 lol theres a reason for that. nintendo owes me comission.

I've gotten 0...0...0 people to convert... I don't want to convert any... Or else if they get a wii and i don't then that means he took the only wii that was supposed to me mine... Yea i think im a bit too greedy o_O

I sorta converted some of my friends, not really but they were saying "I don't know the wii looks kinds dumb" but then I told them about red steel and such.

.....I hate dumbass friends that think the Wii will suck!
I am not wasting my time trying to convince them...although this weekend
they will notice it

You said that the south park episode was a great marketing strategy...but Nintendo didn't plan that at all. It was completely the idea of the writers and nintendo had no idea (supposedly). i do agree that it definitely got the word out about wii and probably gained some popularity.

And as for converting friends....i dont think i have. i mean, ive convinced people that its awesome but most of my friends aren't avid gamers and the ones that are plan on getting a wii...some jackasses plan on a ps3 just because its reputation is that its hardcore...but they're not real gamers, just rich kids with rich mommies and daddies looking for the new thing to buy.

I hate nongamers!!!
Video games are just way to awsome to be put in second place......Video games first, Education second!

I do think it's a bit cliche how videogames are marketed nowadays. PS3 is your run-of-the-mill gaming machine, marketed towards Pizza boys and 40-year old virgins. I think to reach that target audience Nintendo needs to do the exact opposite of Microsoft and Sony. I guess it's smart that they're broadcasting commercials with Dancing with the Stars. I don't know many fifteen year old pizza boys who watch Ballroom Dancing during Primetime. They're definetly shooting towards adults who've never played video games, and namely women.

Yea I sold a few friends on Wii also. I would market that way too, TV spots are so expensive, you could advertise 500x more without a huge tv budget.

lets all be honest, even if you aren't converting your mates just yet, as soon as they play with yours, their gonna want it.

I knew it was going to come out, but how I first saw it was my best friend said you have to see it! and hearinng about the PS3 bbe so mmuch I think sonys getting to cocky! I think it will be a big mistake! it's the cheapest and the most diffrent. even if you got an XBOX 360 the new nintendo's so cheap it's worth getting as well! but PS3 they got guts! I think it will be a big mistake

Back