The Wii Remote Controller

Sovieto

Banned
Aug 6, 2006
Okay, this is a topic made for a full understanding of the Wiimote, every button, its requirements, everything.

Wii Buttons:
A: Just the A Button
B: Just the B Button
Control Pad: Just the Control Pad
Home(House): Bring up the homepage? <-- need more info
+: ?
-: ?
1: Acts like A or is a whole other button?
2: Acts like B or is a whiole other button?
4 Glowing Squares: Show which slot number you are

Specs:
Runs on 2 AA Batteries
Wireless
Wireless range?
Battery life? (I forgot)

i think the 1 and 2 buttons are to use when you have to turn the wiimote sideways for racing games and games like sonic wildfire. They could be for gas and for the brakes.

Here's some more recent specs revealed by IGN:

~ Uses 2 AA batteries.
~ 30-60 hour battery life depending on type of use.
~ Communicates with Wii console via 2.4 GHz Bluetooth signal.
~ Contains 6KB of non-volatile memory for an unknown purpose.
~ SYNCHRO button on console and remote tell system which controllers are working with it.
~ A shortcut for SYNCHRO is holding the 1 & 2 buttons.
~ Each controller is given a wireless ID number.
~ All buttons are digital.
~ The 20cm long Sensor Bar has a sensor on each end which interacts with Wii-mote.
~ LEDs on WiiMote used to indicate battery life as well as which player it corresponds to.
~ Halogen lamps, fluorescent lights, and light from plastic or mirrors can affect the Wii's sensors.
~ To combat this, the Wii-mote needs to first register the coordinates of the two sensors on the sensor bar.

the memory may be space for save games like the memory cards!
that would be cool, no hassle or forgetting to bring ur save profiles.
just bring along the wiimote!

I thought that this topic had been discussed before?, in the previous one i said that + and - were to change things like sensitivity and volume (just like sam harris said previously) Wat does 6kb non volitile memory mean, i no everything in that sentence except non volitile, if it is just normal memory then i reckon its there to save memory like last time used sensitivity and volume

EDIT : Wat a bunch of ball squeeze ( i only said that cause Icetrash wanted me to :lol:

Last edited:
i0n said:
~ Contains 6KB of non-volatile memory for an unknown purpose.
Could it be for streaming/buffering sound to the inbuilt speaker? 6KB isn't very much, so I can't imagine it for much else...

~ Each controller is given a wireless ID number.
I wonder, will the first person to switch their controller on be player 1 (and so forth)?

~ Halogen lamps, fluorescent lights, and light from plastic or mirrors can affect the Wii's sensors.
~ To combat this, the Wii-mote needs to first register the coordinates of the two sensors on the sensor bar.
Cool. I was kinda worried about the whole "Halogen and fluorescent lights" and stuff. Not that I have it myself, but I'm glad Nintendo are thinking about these problems now, rather than having to fix it after it's release.

Ya... 6kb of memory definitly isn't enough to for a save game. Though it could be large enough to hold a small text file that could hold information about the particular controller, such as how long it has been turned on and such. I figure it is more likely for buffering sound though like Squall7 said. That makes the most sense.

DarkDepths said:
Ya... 6kb of memory definitly isn't enough to for a save game. Though it could be large enough to hold a small text file that could hold information about the particular controller, such as how long it has been turned on and such. I figure it is more likely for buffering sound though like Squall7 said. That makes the most sense.

Hearing a few rumours that have come to light today regarding voice recognition for the Wii remote, maybe this memory space could be in relation to that?

Apparently, a trusted person at the IGN Insider forums, who has been right before about a speaker in the Wii controller, has dropped a few pieces of information.
“…voice communication will be via wireless, head-mounted microphones…”

“Some peripherals for the DS will be compatible with Wii and vice-versa.”

“Many Nintendo first party games (specifically games designed for a younger audience) will feature a new system currently being developed by Nintendo called ‘voice to text communication’.”

“The system works using an advanced voice recognition system which Nintendo has been developing for several years. When a user speaks the sound is converted into on screen text and sent to the other players. However, rather than just plain text being sent the system also picks up the tone, pitch and volume of the voice and translates that into colour, font size and character set. For example, if a player shouts ‘I win’ loudly into the microphone the on screen text may be all capitalized, and in a large red font; conversely if a player speaks quietly the font may be a pastel shade and smaller.”

This system also allows online voice communication to be easily censored by the user.”

Back