The World Asunder

Something’s wrong here. Gale was glancing through the visual captures she had taken of the corpse before disposing of it. Usually I’m better at figuring out what’s off, but this is much more subtle than that, yet somehow everywhere. It looks like everything’s just slightly off.

Putting the pictures down, she started to get dressed. She had only managed to sleep for a few hours, but Leo said they were nearing Heldenheim, and she needed to move quickly once they landed. Ilmarinen had to know about the splinters, the corpse, and about her scar. It had spread a bit while she slept, and now was solidly on her shoulderblade. It still was rather thin and vein-looking. Though Ilmarinen was the Supreme Director of the Sciences within the Frozen Court, he himself had specialized in medicine once upon a time, and Gale still regarded him as the best doctor in the country.

Gale exited her room and made her way to the cockpit. In front of her, the massive city loomed.

Heldenheim: the capital of Erigan, and a masterpiece of architecture. The city was situated on three mountains, expanding over both the vast space between them and tunneling through them. The city had no walls to speak of, as its natural defenses made it night impossible to assault, even in the days when it was three separate cities on three separate mountains. “Sky tunnels” connected various platforms on the outer rim, made of enchanted glass and steel. Spires rose up from the summits of the mountains, coils of metal wrapped around them. In very center of the mountains rose another great spire: the Ancient Library of Erigan. The city itself was a symbol of superior engineering and technology, but the Ancient Library was its true pride. The Library grew higher with each passing decade, as more space was needed. The library was known to reach all the way to the lowest point of the valley below, and then further underground. It was said that on the bottom floor of the library were the oldest books in Aravad- records and maps of a different world, from a different time.

Surrounding the library were the laboratories of Erigan’s world-renowned scientists. To the east lay the engineers, to the Southwest the biologists, and to the Northwest, the chemists. It was rumored in foreign nations, particularly Miriel, that Erigan was ruled by the scientists. However, Erigan was in fact ruled by The Frozen Court. This consisted of five members, each specialized in a different aspect of government: The Supreme Directors of Sciences, Armaments, Trade, Correspondence, and Jurisprudence. They were elected by different groups of people, ranging from the entire population of Erigan, with regards to the Director of Jurisprudence, to a small committee, with regards to the Director of Sciences.

Suddenly, a voice came in over the radio. “This is the border guard of Heldenheim, requesting identification before allowing you into our airspace.”
Leo picked up the transmitter and spoke.

“This is Leonard Argen, captain of the Sky Reaver speaking. I should be in your systems already: my entrance code is 5667343.”

There was a brief pause, before the voice returned. “All clear, you are indeed in our systems, Mr. Argen. What cargo is on board your craft?”

“I bring with me a few textile goods from Avalon, as well as two passengers, citizens of Erigan. Dr. Gale Elvek and Mr. Weidr Durgsson. They should also be in your systems.”

Again, a brief pause. “They are indeed. Where is it you are planning to land your craft?”

Leo turned to Gale. “Where am I dropping you?”

“The Elgrath District, please.”

Leo pushed the transmitter. “The Elgrath District”

“Roger that. Transmitting you to platform G now.”

With that, the radio went static for a moment before another voice spoke.

“Hello, this is Platform G. Please confirm your entrance code.”

“5667343.”

“You are cleared for landing. Proceed.”

Gale took out her communicator and entered in the code for Ilmarinen’s office. His assistant answered in Old Eriginian. “This is Dr. Frederikson’s office, how can I be of service?”

“This is Dr. Gale Elvek, of the Neo-Biological Core. I need to speak with Dr. Frederikson urgently.”

“Dr. Elvek, I regret to inform you that the Frozen Court is in session if we speak, and will be likely for the next few hours. I could contact that the court and see if they will admit you, if the matter concerns the nation as a whole.”

“It does. Please send a formal request. The nature of my request is splinter developments in Avalon and further findings.”

“I will contact you when I have a response. It may be a few minutes.

Gale sat down in the cockpit as Weidr came up.

“Goin’ to see the Frozen Court?”

“If they’ll see me.”

“About the incursion?”

“Yeah.”

“I’ll come too, I can provide some information you can’t, as well as add credibility to your story.”

“Very well. You’ll act as my assistant, then. Moken is on Lokasen anyways.”

“Moken is…?”

“My real assistant.”

“Ah. You certainly are quite the traveler. Not too common for someone to be as mobile as you these days. It seems to me that tensions rise every day between the nations.”

“Wait a second. That’s it.”

“What’s what?”

“The splinters…they’re also travelers. That’s what’s off!”

“I’m lost.”

Gale pulled out the visual captures and showed them to Weidr. “Look at these pictures. All of them have different skin color and patterns than what you usually see on splinters. Splinters always have a kind of seithr-signature, a density and aesthetic look that shows where they’re from, but I don’t recognize any of these. It’s almost as if…they’re not from anywhere. I’ve seen splinters from every country and none look like these.”

“So if they didn’t come from anywhere, where did they come from?”

“The only place they could. The surface.”

Last edited:
Citri heard what Karigen said, but as much as she felt bad for the panicked citizens, she couldn't bring herself to disobey the Kingdom Guard. She literally couldn't. She decided to go to the middle as well to see what was up.

She saw Karigen trying to confront the leader of these Kingdom Guard troops. The leader, a black haired woman, looked to be initiating a fight with a Fae woman.

The woman looked over at Karigen, obviously not wanted to be disturbed by what she considered to be some "small fry". "Who would you be, you little pest? Can't you see I'm busy?" she said. "Die!"

The woman charged towards Karigen before he could have had time to ready his aim. Citri, deciding she didn't want her new friend to die just yet, lept into action. Moving at breakneck speed (which wasn't all that difficult for her to do), she grabbed the lance with her bare hand and held it firmly in place.

"Huh?!" the woman pried her lance free and jumped back a few feet.

Citri glanced at Karigen, and then looked the woman in the eyes, struggling to explain herself. "Hehehe...uh...about that, you see, I'm part of the Kingdom Guard too, and that's my friend Kevin, and he's like a cosplayer and all that, and he's also a really silly boy, he thinks that you're a bad person, Ms. Kingdom Guard lady, if that's what your name is. I mean, of course, it wouldn't be! I just...ah..ha...haha....sorry. Really!" Citri put on an large awkward grin and twiddled her thumbs.

"Kingdom Guard or not, NOBODY interferes with the wrath of Zayn Winm--" the woman, apparently named Zayn, stopped mid sentence when she realized Citri's identity. A grin shot across her face. "Citri...Liquoric? Ah, deary, why didn't you say so!? You're most welcome here. Especially now, if I may be honest with you..."

"Zayn, is that it? Listen, Zayn, I don't really know what's going on h--" Citri was cut off by Zayn

"You don't need to know what's going on. All you're going to do is follow my orders, right down to the last detail." Zayn, still grinning sadistically, glared at Citri.

"O-of course..why wouldn't I? I-I'm always eager to help the Kingdom Guard...!" said Citri, nervously.

"You act as if you had a choice, dear." said Zayn, who clapped her hands together. "I just can't risk another outburst like that, sorry, I do wish I could believe you."

Suddenly, Citri felt very dizzy again. She kneeled down and clutched her legs. "N-no, you most certainly wouldn't, Zayn. Citri would never dare disobey. Citri can never disobey. Why. On. Earth. Would. Citri. Ever Dis. Obey?" she muttered with wide eyes and a half grin.

"I've been here the whole time," said Asha, as she emerged from the shadows in the opposite end of the bar.
"Why didn't you say anything?," asked Vanquo. "Did you know about this, Sven?"
"Aye. But you never asked. Anyway..." Sven gestured toward Pumice. "...would the little fella be wantin' a drink?"

"Uh, ya' got any soda? Tbh, I can't stand this alcohol and whatnot you serve. It's nasty." asked Pumice

Sven scowled for a brief moment, although Pumice wasn't looking at him. "Aye, we do. What would ya' be liken?"

"I don't really give a damn." said Pumice. He glanced at a sign which displayed the name of the inn. "Eh, shoot up a Violet Frost, actually." A "Violet Frost" was a kind of slushie infused with grape soda.

Sven walked back to the counter, and dumped some grape soda into the slushie machine. "Damn kids...this is a disgrace of a beverage." he muttered to himself. When he finished, he walked over to hand it to Pumice, who flew up and grabbed it out of Sven's hand.

"Thanks, Polyphemus." said Pumice. He took a gulp of the sugary beverage. "Tastes fantastic. Of course, you'd have to be a complete baboon to screw it up, so that's not saying much." Sven twitched.

"Alright, we all here? Great. Fantastic. Lovely. Jackpot. This is all so absolutely thrilling, I can hardly contain my excitement." stated Pumice in an intentionally unenthusiastic voice, complete with a fake smile on his face. He flew back to the table and waved for the Grey Reapers to follow. He pulled out his laptop and started it up.

"Long story short, I dropped a bomb in Haven Park. A metaphorical bomb, sadly, but that's still pretty cool. Not sure if you heard my announcement, but everybody and their dog is going to be scrambling after Kai Fishwash for his "Mask of the Unrisen", or something, idfk. It's important, that's what matters." said Pumice. The laptop finished loading, and he showed them the scene in Haven Park. "Wonder what all those Kingdom Guard bastards are there for? Whatever, according to this their main communication is still down, so I'm cool with this. Anyways, here's where you bas--guys come in. Let's say, oh, due to some crazy hax, Kai manages to safely keep the mask. That's not very fun. However, if this probably unlikely scenario goes down, Kai won't want to even keep the mask. Why on earth would Kai willingly give up the mask, do you ask?"

Pumice loaded an article about Miriel, complete with various images of the kingdom. Pumice pointed to one of the images. "According to my research, a woman by the name of "Samna Fishwash" lives here in Miriel. Has anybody else heard of a "Fishwash" before? No? That's what I thought. Via process of elimination, it's only probable that this chick is related to Kai in some way. Are you following me?" Pumice took another gulp of his Violet Frost, and set it on the table while proceeding to hover upsidedown in the air, still pointing at the screen. He started grinning widely. "Kidnap Samma Fishwash. She'll make for fantastic blackmail on Kai if anything goes wrong. Any questions, dear henchmen? If we're all on the same page, I have a few parting gifts, so to speak."

Last edited:
"Citri! Leave! Now!" Karigen commanded to Citri, he didn't expect her to intervene even if it saved him a few scales, his nerves were simply getting the better of him but this time he'd be prepared for anymore sudden aggression from both the Fae and Zayn.

She just doesn't know what the hell to do with herself does she? Now she's following "orders" like a slave to their master, maybe the rebels had the right idea.

"I'll ask again..." He said as he pointed his rifle at Zayn. "What the hell is going on here?" He asked making sure the rifle was ready to fire rounds at his target. "That includes the creepy mind control voodoo **** you just pulled with Citri!". His focus then changed to the Fae but he kept his rifle pointed at Zayn as she was a hostile. The Fae was not.

"If you can answer my question if "Commanding Officer Lardass" doesn't, that'd be great. I'd love to know what the heck is going on." He said in a more passive tone before once again focusing his gaze onto Zayn. He hoped Citri would "follow orders" and leave the park, if she didn't he'd have a second problem on his hand and he couldn't overpower nor outrun her but he was pretty sure he was able to outwit her if...if he could find the time to make a plan mid-life threatening chase. Being beaten up again wasn't on his "To-do" list which he had just mentally written up on the spot.

Bah! When I want her to do something, she does the complete opposite yet when Misses Commander wants something she does it without question. This is why I've worked alone for two years.

Lambert's eyes trailed Harkaras as he carried Kai off. The mask didn't seem so useful anymore, there was no point in something that powerful if it just got you killed. Then again that is always how it seems to go. Couldn't rely on Fishwash to get them out of this one.

Even if they're aren't behind this, the royal guard certainly aren't going to put an end to it. For all we know there are still soldiers pointing guns at civilians and they rather spent time here dealing with us instead of taking five minutes to cancel the order. His eyes darkened as he focused on the flame maiden, but than look at both Ansa and the kapshan that was holding her at gun point. They had to be the one's to take care of her. There were too many other soldiers out there for them not to. He rolled to the left and shot forward, checking a guard without losing his stride, "Ansa! I'll see you at the APF headquarters after this."

There were still hostages down there, being held, maybe not by the guard, but by someone. Though it made his knees weak and his body shutter, he had to let the rebels take care of themselves. They willingly put themselves here. The innocents in Lower Avalon were the more pressing matter here.

--------------------A Very Long Time Ago--------------------

A slim figure hunched over a carved, wooden laboratory workbench, muttering to himself and moving around several flasks, each containing differently-colored liquids that bubbled and frothed in unusual ways. The figure held up a deep-blue solution that seemed to continually shift between melting and freezing, and shook it gently a few times. He frowned slightly.

"No, that won't do."

Putting it aside, he picked up another flask, which held a golden liquid that shimmered with unearthly light.

"Still not catalyzing properly."

The figure clicked his tongue disapprovingly as his eyes wandered over the various containers of strange fluid before him. His head perked up as his eyes rested on a flask in the corner, which contained a crimson red liquid that had begun to bubble and emit flecks of varying colors. He gingerly picked up the flask and held it up to the light, surveying it with a look of greedy excitement on his face.

"Hello, there..."

Moving with exceeding care, the figure stood up and moved to a separate, cleaner table, holding the crimson liquid out in front of him. As he stepped into the light shining through the few windows in the room, his face came clearly into view, revealing a spiky mess of bright red hair and sharp, pointed features. The figure displayed a look of unmatched eagerness on his face, rather like a small child being given a present. He gently set the flask on the center of the table, then hurried back into the darkness, moving to and fro and collecting several different scientific instruments, all the while speaking rapidly to himself.

"Last time I tried a pure seithr injection--certainly an interesting response, but-- yes, definitely, a 60% diluted dose should provide the appropriate reaction--"

His hands full of roughly-hewn instruments of bronze and silver, the figure hurried back into the light and placed all but one on the table. Slowly, carefully, he lowered the instrument, a long, slender tube with several valves and levers, into the solution and pulled back gently. The tube began to fill with the red liquid, and after a few moments the figure pulled the tube completely out, apparently satisfied with the amount.

"All right, let's give this a try!"

Just then, the door to the laboratory burst open, flooding light into the room. The figure, startled, jumped backwards and dropped the tube, which shattered on the floor, spilling the liquid everywhere. A well-built man, with a thin goatee and long black hair, stepped into the laboratory, decked in purple and silver attire. He brushed his long black hair out of his eyes and surveyed the room. The red-haired figure looked down desperately.

"Must you always burst in so rudely, Victor? I nearly had it this time!"

"You will address me as General Stahler, Maxim. And the King demands your presence immediately."

The red-haired figure wrung his hands and opened his mouth as if to protest, but slumped rather sadly and nodded.

"Very well."

Maxim quickly cleaned the floor, and followed General Stahler out the door and down the winding staircase, periodically illuminated by torches that glowed a golden-red and flickered fiercely.

"Any idea what he needs me for?"

General Stahler chuckled.

"No, but it must be important. He seemed rather excited when he told me to fetch you."

He gestured back up the stairs to the laboratory.

"Still no luck?"

Maxim frowned, his brow furrowed.

"I am getting so close! But the answer keeps slipping out of my grasp, like quicksilver."

"Well, he's not going to like to hear that. The High Alchemist of Lokasen is expected to produce measurable results."

Maxim drooped sadly.

"Don't remind me."

--------------------Present--------------------

Ansa looked over at the Kapshen questioning her.

"Listen, kid, just get out of here! Head down to Lower or Middle Avalon, just get out of--"

She was cut short as Zayn rushed her, thrusting her spear out and barely missing Ansa as she dodged to the side.

"Law-breakers, criminals, rebels, you're all the same!" Zayn snarled. "Who gave you the right to protect this city? No one! And yet you walk around, head held high like some kind of folktale hero! Only the Kingdom Guard have the authority and power to do what's right--"

"Do what's right?" Ansa felt anger building inside her like a fire. "You've done nothing but cheat and threaten to get your way since you started with the Kingdom Guard--"

"As a member of the government, I am entitled to certain privelages," Zayn yelled, swinging her fiery lance around in a wide arc that Ansa ducked and rolled away from. "Why shouldn't the people pay us a little tribute? We're protecting them!"

"What do the other officers think about your "privileges"? Or do you have them all hoodwinked?"

"Shut UP!" shouted Zayn, readying another blow. She noticed the Masked Knight moving away from the engagement.

"Citri, stop the Masked Knight! That's an order!"

Last edited:
Citri's half grin turned into a sadistic smile with Zayn's words. Her eyes grew even wider. "Hehe, of course, madam Zayn! Citri will do anything for you!" yelled Citri. She completely ignored Karigen and anything he he had to say; she obviously wasn't "with it" right now. The Masked Knight seemed to have made some distance -- she went looking for him.

Edit:
OOC: overhauled due to this

Last edited:
Karigen noticed the crazed smile on Citri's face as she ran past him, bumping into his shoulder causing him to stumble and drop the rifle he was aiming.

"Citri! Wait!" He shouted, worried that she would do something she'd regret. He let out a small growl, Zayn took advantage of his newly placed focus and swung her lance at him. He realized a split second too late and as he tried to roll out of the way, he was caught in the chest and he left a trail of blood from where he was hit. Zayn took another swing at him, Karigen quickly took out his combat knife and barely managed to parry the blow causing him to get knocked back. He had a large cut across half of his chest, it was bleeding but it wasn't too bad and it showed clearly through his hooded jumper. The pain caused him to lean over, he held it with his left hand and let out a pained gasp.

"Let me help you. I won't let you down plus I need the practice." I need the practice for when my response form comes back, just need to make sure I don't die and make it back. He held the knife in reverse in his right hand now and he raised both his left - which was rather bloody after holding his fresh wound - and right hands into a fighting stance that would allow him to parry or dodge most of her blows, his plan was to strike Zayn when she was distracted as she had what he didn't, power and reach. It meant he'd be relying on his new ally and with his new injury he won't be as flexible as usual.

Last edited:
"I wouldn't mind a bit of help," said Ansa tersely, parrying another of Zayn's fiery blows, "But retreat if you're badly injured! I can handle this myself!"
Yeah right, Ansa thought to herself. Zayn'd be formidable even when I'm at peak strength, but after a full, sleepless night of fighting Splinters? Not to mention I'm totally out of seithr!
Zeal and Apathy still emitted a cool breeze, but otherwise were merely regular swords at the moment, while her opponent had a lance made of magical flame. Not the best match-up.
"What's wrong, Hifhildr? Feeling the heat?" Zayn continued to beat away at Ansa's defense. "Just surrender! I can promise you a trial, at least!"
"Not a chance, Zayn!"
Ansa spotted a brief opening as Zayn swung around for another blow. Blocking her strike, Ansa turned suddenly inward, using the lance's momentum to bring her between the lance and Zayn. She followed up with a headbutt straight into the center of the surprised officer's face, and she wheeled back, cursing and clutching her nose.
"I'll have your head for that, silverhair *****!"

The sun began to rise because a lot of time had passed, but nobody noticed how nice looking it was because they were too busy fighting each other.

"You won't regret it!" Karigen replied to the Fae as he swiftly took advantage of the 2 against 1 situation, he quickly flanked around Zayn and thrust his familiar into a slot between her armour getting a clean hit on her right arm, her sword arm. He pulled it out again before he was swiftly batted away by Zayn. The lance began flickering between it's original colour and a dulled red colour.

"A Kapshen that fights dirty? No wonder you left your kind, your even filthier then normal!" Zayn said as her frustration began to grow even more.

"As long as I keep breathing!" He responded, as he dashed out of a thrusting attack from Zayn herself. She then threw a downwards attack at him, instead of avoiding the attack he moved in and got hit by the pole end on the top of the head but he shrugged it off and jumped on top of Zayn, yet again stabbing his blade into her main arm weakening her Seithr yet again before being knocked off this time without his knife. It wouldn't drain Seithr unless he scored a new hit with it, the lance was now violently shimmering between it's original fire-like colour and a duller red colour. His attacks weren't making much progress on Zayn herself but it was obvious the weak seithr draining effect from his familiar was affecting her weapon.

Bah! I was hoping to break her link with Seithr so her lance was practically useless but that's not happening. Zayn perform a high sweep hoping to catch him off guard, he ducked under the attack and backed off as he was unarmed and he'd need another distraction if he was going to do anything. The heat from the lance weaker then it was earlier.

"Why don't you just keel over and die like the rest of your kind? It's not like your life is worth anything!" Zayn insulted, the frustration still clear in her voice. Karigen let out a small laugh as he felt dizzy for a little while but it quickly subsided.

"You should get some new patter." He calmly responded as he slowly backed off, keeping himself in motion meant he wouldn't be caught off guard if Zayn attempted to take another strike at him but he had no plans on bailing even if it looked like he was ready to turn tail and run.

Ansa fought alongside the Kapshen against Zayn, and couldn't help but notice that he was very skilled at getting past her defenses.
With a big, slow weapon like that, Zayn's worst nightmare is a quick and agile fighter like him! He's the perfect counter!
Just as Ansa was feeling a bit more hopeful, she noticed that the magic flames emitted by the mask were beginning to die down, and that the Kingdom Guard previously trapped behind them were coming into view. They would be free soon.
"Time to go!" she yelled to the Kapshen.
"You're not going anywhere except a Kingdom Guard cell!"
Zayn dashed towards both of them, but Ansa was ready. Using whatever meager seithr reserves were left in her blades, and drawing upon the seithr she stored in her body due to her fae ancestry, she planted her sword in the ground and channeled the seithr though it. Icy clamps formed around Zayn's legs, rooting her to the spot. Knowing it would only last a moment, Ansa turned towards the exit and bolted, sprinting as fast as she could.
"This isn't over, Zayn!"

"Aeolus has decreed that we help you, no matter the job. Even if it is a mere kidnapping."
Asha scoffed. "Whatever"
"What gifts are you giving us?" asked Swolinn eagerly. "Oh, and the job sounds good too. No questions."

Pumice went through his supply bag. First he brought out a large plastic bag. Opening it revealed its contents: three Kingdom Guard uniforms.

"I figured that if you're going to kidnap this girl, we might as well blame somebody else for it. I found these in the Palace of Wings." said Pumice. He grabbed another bag, which contained a small video camera. "If we end up needing to use her as blackmail, we'll put her on video for Kai to see. Don't want him to think we're full of ****. You do know how to operate this, I assume? How stupid could somebody be?"

Pumice took a gulp of his Violet Frost. "Pretty sure that's it. If we're about done here, I need to return to the Palace of Wings." he said. "Whenever you swipe the *****, meet up with me at the train station in Scaromorre town. Ya know, the place in Lokasen? Can't be expected to just chill in Avalon forever, heh."

Pumice waited to see if they had any further questions.

Back