Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Think my Wiimote is broken

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Hardware' started by dinhtk, Nov 19, 2006.

1. dinhtk

dinhtk WiiChat Member

First off, this is my first post and I've found a lot of useful info on this board. Good stuff. Anyways:

So I bought 3 extra Wiimotes and Nunchucks and opened one of them. I start playing baseball with my brother, then it stops working and the lights at the bottom shows a random configuration instead of just the 2nd light for being player 2. At first I thought I was pressing 1 and 2 at the same time while I am swinging. So I would just remove a battery, then it would go back to lighting the second light like its supposed to. I start playing again and it does it again, some random configuration with the lights at the bottom, but this time I know I'm not pressing the buttons.
    I look through the manual and there's really nothing about the Wiimote. Kind of ironic, but the manual has tons of info on features that aren't available yet.

Alright, here are my questions:
    -How will I know if my controller is syncing correctly? I see the lights on the controller light up, but nothing from the console or on the screen. And is there supposed to be an order? Like console 1st, then press sync on the remote or vice versa? Doesn't matter? Also, when I remove the batteries, it will work for a few seconds, if that helps troubleshooting.
    -When it says See pg. 21 in the quick installation guide, which packet is it talking about? I'm trying to find more info on syncing it, but page 21 in the Owner's Manual is about the Photo sharing thing.
    -If it is broken, is there any kind of warranty? I'm really afraid to open another controller, just to have it break on me and not be able to return it.

I hope I didn't break it by swinging too hard, but baseball is intense on the Wii.

2. bilal19

bilal19 WiiChat Member

I think my Wii is broken

I have the same story, but a different mishap. My roommate and I both bought our Wii day of (11/19/06). We purchased a extra Wii remote, Nunchuck, Red Steel, and Zelda: Twilight Princess. The first night, the Wii worked like a dream. Now, (literally hours ago) after two hard collisions with the Wii remote and a bad restart session, the Wii only powers up for only one of the controllers. Also, the - and home buttons don't work for Zelda. More bad news, the Wii remote does not register on Wii Sports games. Let me break it down: the remote operates normally as a cursor, but doesn't register during actual gameplay. The buttons register during gameplay, but the motion sensor does not. This happens for only one of the controllers. Finally, the core system is having problems reading discs. I hope this is just a faulty system.

3. COLDshiver

COLDshiver Wii Owner

Wii Friend Code: 4532-8683-6668-7765
    4532-8683-6668-7765
    That sucks.. Mine works fine atm. *knock on wood*

4. Wii Want Wii!

Wii Want Wii! We have got it

Wii Friend Code: 1552-4343-3050-4813
    1552-4343-3050-4813
    Well on the one thats working press the home button and go to the bottom of the screen and click the 2nd Remote one and then hole 1 and 2.

5. bilal19

bilal19 WiiChat Member

The problem is not adding a controller on the game, the problem is that I don't know if the controller is the problem, or the system itself. Some buttons and functions work and the problems vary from game to game. Mostly between Zelda and Wii Sports.

6. MysticGohan

MysticGohan WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 2476-7789-3835-5591
    2476-7789-3835-5591
    its so sad how all theses people are having problems

7. frontsidefish

frontsidefish WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 4287-9909-4049-1336
    4287-9909-4049-1336
    I suggest you all check the batteries.:yikes:

8. bilal19

bilal19 WiiChat Member

OK. Problem solved. The Wii remote is very fragile. A good swing against something will throw the IR sensor out of position. Now, I'll have to wait to buy a new remote.

9. jus.

jus. WiiChat Member

i find if it feels like your remote is all ****y, lay it down for about a minute. i think the accellerometers take seisures from super intense bouts of tennis. they start to feel a little less accurate. might just be me getting less accurate. i'm not the most in shape ma****a on the planet. Wii is my new exercise routine. Either way, hope you get your new 'mote soon.

10. wiiCrazy

wiiCrazy wiiiing since 11/19/06

Wii Friend Code: 0738-7957-2604-0610
    0738-7957-2604-0610
    bought an extra wiimote, it's sensitivity sucked compared to the 1 that came with the system...got lucky and the walmart had one left. swapped it and the new 1 works great.

11. bilal19

bilal19 WiiChat Member

Well, we lucked out again and a friend fixed it for us. Now, we don't have to buy a new remote. Also, you can adjust the sensitivity through the Wii options.

12. m7ticalm

m7ticalm WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 0287-9971-6660-4138
    0287-9971-6660-4138
    Good for u mate :)

13. White-Wolf

White-Wolf WiiChat Member

how did he fix it?

14. bilal19

bilal19 WiiChat Member

He opened the remote and readjusted the IR sensor.

15. MONICAATEEMS

MONICAATEEMS WiiChat Member

how did he open it, the screws are weird Y shape?

16. happymom

happymom WiiChat Member

Solution to broken wii remote

We had a similar experience with one of the remotes after a collision of remotes during tennis. Buttons worked...cursor worked...but no action. We just got off the phone with tech support, and you are going to love the solution: Turn the remote over with the buttons face down. While holding it, give it a good "love pat" whack against the palm of your other hand. Honest to goodness, it works! The tech guy who helped my husband had to chuckle when suggesting it. I can't help smiling now. Too funny! I hope this helps you and anyone else out there! God Bless!

17. WiiLink

WiiLink WiiChat Member

18. millbrook1

millbrook1 WiiChat Member

Thanks for that.... just smacked my remote a few time and its working again,

Cheers

19. happymom

happymom WiiChat Member

Glad to have helped! Happy New Year!

20. goffrey

goffrey WiiChat Member

I've been getting similar too...

I was playing Zelda last night when it started going a bit funny - Link was running on his own accord, I wasn't pushing the joystick at all and I had to move it in almost the opposite direction to that of which I wanted him to move.

So I exited the game and came back in, it was all fine and then it happened again a bit later. I couldnt make Link move properly at all so I went back to the Wii Menu and at this point, the remote wasnt working and the nunchuck appeared to be dead as well.

First off I changed the batteries - nothing happened with that. I unplugged and replugged in the sensor bar - nothing. I tried resynching the remote and Wii - the remote lights flashed but nothing happened. Whenever I press a button on the remote, the lights flash briefly but thats it.

Has anyone got any ideas or troubleshooting tips (other than those in the manual) to help me out!? With the remote and Nunchuck shortage, I dont know when I will get chance to play again at this rate!!