This is why online gaming is a must..

But since I got the 360/PS3 I dont personally care for it. Even if all their games had online, I would still play on my 360 cuz it has better overall games. Especially when it comes to multiplayer.

As you can see bumble, I wouldnt. As of now atleast... Since Wii isnt so big on FPS even though their console would be great for more FPS titles, their arent many online games worth playing. The other type of online game I like is RPG, but Wii has none. Niether does 360 (for online) but they will with Too Human and Fable 2. They do with KUF:COD but that game sucks.

But anyway, I wasn't talking about me. I was speaking for the people who only own a Wii who cannot play those 360 games, or maybe just dont want to. There's alot of people who do not like CoD4 and Halo. Now, maybe they're just lying because they dont have a 360, but either way they can't play it. So don't you think hardcore Nintendo fans want online? If not FPS games, maybe boxing games, baseball games (baseball owns on the Wii), etc. On a plus side, most games with a Multiplayer mode has online.

wezeles said:
Just because your favorite online games are FPS doesnt mean everyones will be... Nintendo will offer a breath of fresh air to online.. not the Same old FPS games over and over again with a different story line... FPS have dominated the online world and i dont think Nintendo should really even bother with it.. they arnt going to lead in that area although the gameplay is better for a FPS the big titles and fans are still on the other consoles, nintendo can do them as well but they wont lead FPS this gen thats for sure...

but sports games,racing games,fighting games, these are the games nintendo will get in large numbers, and will do great online... not to mention there own exclusive 1st party multi players that will do very well online.. Wii isnt going to be the Leader of online, but atleast they will open up the genre more to include more games online, than the "hardcore" FPS again and again... i got bored with that with xbox...

I just mentioned FPS's because those are the top games right now on both systems online. I think you are forgetting about the Madden titles, all of EA's sports offerings, NBA 2K's, Forza 2, Project Gotham, Grand Turismo Online, Gears of War (not a FPS), the many addictive xbox live arcade titles (Uno, TMNT 1989) Virtua Fighter 5 Online...the list goes on and on.

Nintendo isn't going to do anything online, nor make a dent in the online community. Ever wonder why the big N isn't putting a whole lot of time or resources into the online gig? Maybe it's because they realize that there is no way they will ever be profitable, or even make a dent in the community that relishes in online gaming. It isn't worth their time to implement that strategy when the majority of the Wii's install base (gamers who already own a 360/ps3, very young gamers, older gamers who bought the system bc of the novelty of it) have NO interest in the machine becoming an online gaming machine.

Face the facts everyone, the Wii is simply going to offer a very vanilla, watered down online function that will work with games like Mario Kart and SSBB. It's been said several times--if online gaming is this important to you, then you should go purchase a 360 or PS3. The wii is just going to offer gamers a pretty bland online experience..and I for one am ok with that.

T3kNi9e said:
As you can see bumble, I wouldnt. As of now atleast... Since Wii isnt so big on FPS even though their console would be great for more FPS titles, their arent many online games worth playing. The other type of online game I like is RPG, but Wii has none. Niether does 360 (for online) but they will with Too Human and Fable 2. They do with KUF:COD but that game sucks.

But anyway, I wasn't talking about me. I was speaking for the people who only own a Wii who cannot play those 360 games, or maybe just dont want to. There's alot of people who do not like CoD4 and Halo. Now, maybe they're just lying because they dont have a 360, but either way they can't play it. So don't you think hardcore Nintendo fans want online? If not FPS games, maybe boxing games, baseball games (baseball owns on the Wii), etc. On a plus side, most games with a Multiplayer mode has online.

Do you even realize how difficult it is to translate complex motion controls like batting or other sports techniques into an online game? The lag is absolutely horrendous in Madden 08, and it will be even worse the more complex control schemes you get.

Sorry guys, the wii was never designed to utilize online gaming....just deal with it.

Im sure everyone knows that. People who think Nintendo will improve is going to be in for a disappointment... Not a suprise, or atleast shouldn't be because its expected. Nintendo fans have a higher chance of having better online in the next console than expecting it for later on this year. Nintendo is making too much money off the casual market to worry about the hardcore much. Even then, alot of hardcore Nintendo fans dont care about online either way because they really only care about Nintendo titles, most of which are not Multiplayer. Mario Kart and SSBB will be the biggest titles of Nintendo in 2008, I think.... and they will also be the biggest online titles for Nintendo in 08.

Mario Kart and SSBB will be the biggest titles of video gaming in 2008. SSBB being my early prediction for GOTY 2008. But about the motion sensing in online games; how could that add to any lag of play. Surely that's only down to server speed?

the fact that its motion sensing has nothing to do with its online ability, in the end its still translated into the basic up down left right forward back commands.... same as any game its just the way you make it move that way on the console that is different...

the online will still be good.. games like MK SSBB will be a nice change of pace from the majority of online games..

will it ever be better than xbox live? probably not if they keep it free... they make zero dollars with online games and most acctually loose money unless you wanna start tossing up commercial breaks every 15 minutes on a server you never will make money...

you can however charge a monthly premium for a better online service like xbox live does, and WOW ect.. and you can expect to get a better overall online experience. and in the end a larger library of games dedicated to online because they can make a profit doing it that way...

your comparing apples to oranges here... the online is different in everyway, games types ,price,quality...you pay for what you want...

T3kNi9e said:
I wonder how long people are going to use the "Wii just hit its 1 year mark" excuse :p Ive been hearing it as an answer to everything :p

Anyway, more online for Wii would be nice. But since I got the 360/PS3 I dont personally care for it. Even if all their games had online, I would still play on my 360 cuz it has better overall games. Especially when it comes to multiplayer. But for the Wii only owners, it would be something they should really want.

Also, people need to stop using the "why dont you go buy a 360" as an answer also. What if people dont want to play 360 games online? What if I want to play Wii games online? I would have loved to play Metroid Prime 3 in a deathmatch arena. Which obviously you cannot do on a 360.

Well technically, you could use the excuse. Considering it was its first year which saw barely any online games, and the one's we did get were not too great. Mainly because Nintendo has not been big on online in the past and are just starting to get the ball rolling. Games like Brawl and Animal Crossing could have great online, online can be done on the Wii.

Also, the thing is with most Nintendo games, online play just wouldn't work.
I know you used Metroid Prime 3 as an example, but the online in that game would have just been weird. Honestly, I never once thought Super Smash Bros. would have an online game, I just didn't think it would work. Games like Animal Crossing would work nicely with Online play if done right.

What Nintendo needs to do is make more games that would be good online material, like you suggested..More FPS's etc. But if Nintendo plans on keeping pace with their casual stuff, online for Wii may never be accomplished, at least not to what it could be.

If SSBB doesnt win its obviously going to be nominated in all GOTY awards. Im pretty sure it will win, thats how popular it is. Especially since all the other major AAA titles for 360 have already passed, exept for Fable 2. MGS4 could be nominated too. But as for MY GOTY, it won't be SSBB. Im 20 and im past Mario. I still like it, just not as much as I used to. So thats why I didnt say best of Video gaming.

CantGetAWii said:
Well technically, you could use the excuse. Considering it was its first year which saw barely any online games, and the one's we did get were not too great. Mainly because Nintendo has not been big on online in the past and are just starting to get the ball rolling. Games like Brawl and Animal Crossing could have great online, online can be done on the Wii.

Also, the thing is with most Nintendo games, online play just wouldn't work.
I know you used Metroid Prime 3 as an example, but the online in that game would have just been weird. Honestly, I never once thought Super Smash Bros. would have an online game, I just didn't think it would work. Games like Animal Crossing would work nicely with Online play if done right.

What Nintendo needs to do is make more games that would be good online material, like you suggested..More FPS's etc. But if Nintendo plans on keeping pace with their casual stuff, online for Wii may never be accomplished, at least not to what it could be.

I mean that people were using the 1 year excuse for everything. Its obviously true, because the best gaming of a console usually comes after the 1st year. But thats USUALLY. The reason why I think this about Wii is because, its so similar to Gamecube graphically that it wasn't hard for Nintendo to start development before Wii was released. So its possible, that as far as Nintendo games go, 2007 could be their best overall. I think SSBB and Mario Kart will be their best. Other games will be good, but nothing great as 2007 year.

And yes, I dont think at this pace of keeping casual gamers happy, Wii will not really improve online much. I think that may happen in the next console.

they have yet to tap the multi player "mario titles" on wii yet... and almost all of them, baseball,tennis,golf will probably be online just like strikers is... granted SB and MK are two of the most popular multiplayer/online possibal games in nintendos lineup and probably be the biggest sellers... but its just a piece of the current library... not to mention whatever Wii specific 1st party games we get because of the motion controll...

with more and more 3rd partys saying they are going to make games for the Wii im not all that concerned...
the great online games will still be in the 3rd party format because they have dedicated alot of time to it... the nintendo titles its just going to be nice extra change with what we already know...
The ground breaking stuff will be comming from the 3rd party developers once they really get into the motion controll and start designing games specifically aimed twards that... i still wouldnt expect anything "ground breaking" till mid 2008 till closer to christmas just because of how long it took for them to come around to the Wii

i have both a wii and 360 and i really like the wii's online, not because of gaming but because of the channels, i sped ages mucking around in them lol

n/m i tried and obviously it doesnt work without an adapter
what about with an adapter

Last edited:
I wouldnt be expecting anything groundbreaking from 3rd parties ever. They hardly make AAA titles. Orange Box and COD4 were AAA titles. Maybe 1 or 2 more, but I cant think of any right this moment.

Back