This is why online gaming is a must..

Bliss said:
Yes the Wii does need better online..no wait let me rephrase that..The Wii needs MORE online games.

MOH: H2 is a great game to me, i play almost everyday and i dont feel myself gettin bored at all. Strikers on the other hand was about a month of playin then it hit the shelf.

As for Metroid bein online..NO..you cant do that, as much as everyone rants and rave that it should have been. IT CANT. First off its NOT a multiplayer game so that rules it out right there, yes u could have chosen from different hunters but Metroid itself since day one was a single player, why ruin something that has been great for yrs. Just my opion i know others will disagree.

would multiplayer really ruin Metroid? i mean look at Halo 3 that game is known for the multiplayer not the actual campange or whatever its called. i think multiplayer would make Metroid better, because since metroid already has the good gameplay, story, lvls, the multiplayer can only make it better.
nd i think we will be getting better online within a yr or 2 if not sooner. nintendo im shure has realized that the people want Online so were getting more online games and now we just need to make Online better i think it will all change with brawl and mario kart

wezeles said:
they have yet to tap the multi player "mario titles" on wii yet... and almost all of them, baseball,tennis,golf will probably be online just like strikers is... granted SB and MK are two of the most popular multiplayer/online possibal games in nintendos lineup and probably be the biggest sellers... but its just a piece of the current library... not to mention whatever Wii specific 1st party games we get because of the motion controll...

with more and more 3rd partys saying they are going to make games for the Wii im not all that concerned...
the great online games will still be in the 3rd party format because they have dedicated alot of time to it... the nintendo titles its just going to be nice extra change with what we already know...
The ground breaking stuff will be comming from the 3rd party developers once they really get into the motion controll and start designing games specifically aimed twards that... i still wouldnt expect anything "ground breaking" till mid 2008 till closer to christmas just because of how long it took for them to come around to the Wii

Not sure about the Third Party Developers making good online games, or better than what Nintendo can accomplish anyways. Sure, Medal Of Honor Heroes 2 was good, but you have to look at Nintendo who ultimately has online gaming in the hands, they just need to set it down and get er' done so to speak. With games like Mario Strikers, and new ones like Brawl and Mario Kart, so far Nintendo has the better online games for this year. Third Party support is increasing, but not all games have online play nor capabilities.

And Nintendo's online will only be really great once they shift their focus on the hardcore gamer, they need to remove their casual vision goggles.

T3kNi9e said:
The reason why I think this about Wii is because, its so similar to Gamecube graphically that it wasn't hard for Nintendo to start development before Wii was released. So its possible, that as far as Nintendo games go, 2007 could be their best overall. I think SSBB and Mario Kart will be their best. Other games will be good, but nothing great as 2007 year.

Well to the Wii's credit, its able to dish out some nicer visuals.
Wii game discs are larger than the Gamecube ones were, allowing for the game to be played on one disc rather than two, and visuals are a bit more pleasing. I know what you mean though in the sense of it being similar to the Gamecube, but it can do a bit better than what the Gamecube could do.

Bumble14 said:
I just mentioned FPS's because those are the top games right now on both systems online. I think you are forgetting about the Madden titles, all of EA's sports offerings, NBA 2K's, Forza 2, Project Gotham, Grand Turismo Online, Gears of War (not a FPS), the many addictive xbox live arcade titles (Uno, TMNT 1989) Virtua Fighter 5 Online...the list goes on and on.

Nintendo isn't going to do anything online, nor make a dent in the online community. Ever wonder why the big N isn't putting a whole lot of time or resources into the online gig? Maybe it's because they realize that there is no way they will ever be profitable, or even make a dent in the community that relishes in online gaming. It isn't worth their time to implement that strategy when the majority of the Wii's install base (gamers who already own a 360/ps3, very young gamers, older gamers who bought the system bc of the novelty of it) have NO interest in the machine becoming an online gaming machine.

Face the facts everyone, the Wii is simply going to offer a very vanilla, watered down online function that will work with games like Mario Kart and SSBB. It's been said several times--if online gaming is this important to you, then you should go purchase a 360 or PS3. The wii is just going to offer gamers a pretty bland online experience..and I for one am ok with that.

Uhhhhh...the majority of Wii owners don't care much about anything beyond the gimmicky controls and Wii Sports. So should Nintendo just stop making games and rest on gimmicky games like Wii Sports? If your reasoning for Nintendo not developing online holds true, so does this from a logic standpoint.

Just because the majority of Wii owners aren't interested in online, that doesn't mean that a significant portion aren't interested and that it should not be developed. By that logic, Nintendo shouldn't bother with wasting time producing good games as the current majority of owners are quite placated by crap like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Cooking Mama, and Chicken Shoot.

Bumble14 said:
[/B]

Do you even realize how difficult it is to translate complex motion controls like batting or other sports techniques into an online game? The lag is absolutely horrendous in Madden 08, and it will be even worse the more complex control schemes you get.

Sorry guys, the wii was never designed to utilize online gaming....just deal with it.

Well they sure have marketed it as one. Sure the online capabilities aren't quite as hyped up as those of 360 and PS3, but they sure have marketed the capability. Heck, they've splooged the whole WiiConnect24 crap all over the place. Why don't you just get off of your Nintendo fanboy brown-nosing pedastal and stop defending the lazy, greedy company that is Nintendo.

Geez.

Spinty said:
Mario Kart and SSBB will be the biggest titles of video gaming in 2008. SSBB being my early prediction for GOTY 2008. But about the motion sensing in online games; how could that add to any lag of play. Surely that's only down to server speed?

Doubtful. No Mario Kart game has ever come close to being GOTY. Heck, didn't MKDD on the GC get a score in the 7's or 8's. It'll be a great game and maybe even AAA if it has good online, but it'll be nowhere near GOTY. The same goes for SSBB.

My bet goes toward GTA IV. Then again, I don't follow the current trends in video games much, so I don't know much about what's out there.

Unless GTA4 truly brings something new to the table it may not be GOTY material. It could an average of 9 across the board. Which would be a great game no doubt, but not GOTY material, unless of course 2008 is a bad year all together. Especially since people are saying 2007 was the best year since 1998. I'll still admit GTA4 is one of my most anticipated games this year. But it doesnt mean its gonna make it GOTY material.

SSBB IMO does have the change of being GOTY. Not because I like it, hell I didnt even like Melee, but people loved it and their is no denying it no matter how much you hate it.

Mario Kart wont because its kind of like a sports game. People dont like it when sports games are nominated GOTY because they're not usually made to be GOTY. They're pretty easy to make, especially since they folllow basically the same mechanics as older titles. But still a great game none-the-less. This game I also will be buying.

Atomheart said:
Doubtful. No Mario Kart game has ever come close to being GOTY. Heck, didn't MKDD on the GC get a score in the 7's or 8's. It'll be a great game and maybe even AAA if it has good online, but it'll be nowhere near GOTY. The same goes for SSBB.

i understand your view on MK but just because DD wasnt that great duznt mean the new MK will be bad it will probaly be better but your right if probaly wont get GOTY but i think SSBB has a really good chance of becoming it becuz hell look at SMG...that got game of the year, if that got it SSBB will surely get it but what do i know brawl hasnt even come out yet

I've been trying to fight the same battle for a while now and I too got sick of people using the same damn excuse of "why don't you get a 360 then" but I might just actually take that advice. Lets face it guys, like most of you already said the Wii isn't made for intense online gaming, I'm ready to give up on it. Being a hardcore gamer, I made a major mistake in thinking the Wii would satisfy my gaming needs. 360 just keeps looking better and better.

We're not trying to say for you to give up on your Wii, well I'm not. Because what I had posted earlier is that all you got to do is wait for it.

T3kNi9e said:
Unless GTA4 truly brings something new to the table it may not be GOTY material. It could an average of 9 across the board. Which would be a great game no doubt, but not GOTY material, unless of course 2008 is a bad year all together. Especially since people are saying 2007 was the best year since 1998. I'll still admit GTA4 is one of my most anticipated games this year. But it doesnt mean its gonna make it GOTY material.

SSBB IMO does have the change of being GOTY. Not because I like it, hell I didnt even like Melee, but people loved it and their is no denying it no matter how much you hate it.

Mario Kart wont because its kind of like a sports game. People dont like it when sports games are nominated GOTY because they're not usually made to be GOTY. They're pretty easy to make, especially since they folllow basically the same mechanics as older titles. But still a great game none-the-less. This game I also will be buying.

So GTA IV needs to bring something new to be GOTY, but apparently SSBB doesn't need to? SSBB is moreso more of the same than GTA IV is. Much more so. There is very little new to SSBB. At least GTA IV will have a new story.

I wouldnt know if SSBB is different since I never liked Melee. I played Melee a little then I got bored. But people seem to love it. But people are already being skeptical about GTA4 wondering if it will be overall the same thing. There was a article about it someone posted. Asking why Nintendo didnt seem to care when their franchises stayed basically the same but when a game like GTA stays the same, its criticized. Im still gonna like GTA4, I know for a fact ill love it. Will be one of my favorite games of 2008 and Ill probably like it over and Wii game. But since people who give GOTY seem to do it wierd, I dont think it will get it unless there's something really new about it. I mean look at gamespot. COD4 and Crysis had twice as money votes for GOTY over SMG and SMG still won. So you never know how they do it.

I don't think SSBB has very little change to it, I actually think it has alot. Yet, we really shouldn't argue about what will and what won't make GOTY because neither of those games have been released.

Atomheart said:
So GTA IV needs to bring something new to be GOTY, but apparently SSBB doesn't need to? SSBB is moreso more of the same than GTA IV is. Much more so. There is very little new to SSBB. At least GTA IV will have a new story.

Oh yes, a new story.

Meanwhile Brawl has Online which is new for the series, a Story Mode, Create A Stage etc. So technically that makes it new as well.

Brawl's Online should determine how well the Online works for other games made by Nintendo.

CantGetAWii said:
Oh yes, a new story.

Meanwhile Brawl has Online which is new for the series, a Story Mode, Create A Stage etc. So technically that makes it new as well.

Brawl's Online should determine how well the Online works for other games made by Nintendo.

It's still the exact same core game with some new extras. It's more of an expansion to Melee than a totally new game. It'll no doubt be great, but not GOTY worthy.

GTA IV is an entirely different game based on the concept.

Back