Tiger Woods Controls

uncleclives

WiiChat Member
Jan 25, 2007
After reading the new article on IGN is anyone else just a little worried that the controls are not going to be what us golfers are expecting?

Extract - "We tried to mess with the AI tracking as much as possible to see what does and doesn't work, and the overall consensus is the same. The game doesn't care how far back you personally go to swing, or how large of a follow-through you have, just how your actions pertain to what Tiger is doing on-screen. This means that a tiny bit of movement can result in the same distance as a full-fledged blasting shot, and with the controller tracking your wrist movements for hook and slice, why risk moving your arm more than you need to? The swing mechanic still works for the most part, it just doesn't come off as a true tracking of the user's actual golf swing."

Full article - http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/769/769978p1.html plus new videos to watch.

Still buying it though the chance to play St Andrews Old Course and Pebble Beach are no brainers for me...

well that explains why the douche in the testing/sample video was using one hand to swing the remote.

yeah I was going to buy this game on release date but then I read that article and now I'm not sure if I want to buy it anymore... I def love the golf on Wii sports but I wanted a more professional game with more course!

Raij said:
Sounds like EA needs to take a lesson from WiiSport's Golf.

if you were a real golfer, you'd realize how bad that game is. you can't even take a full swing. If i take even a half of a swing, it goes straight into the red. As long as i can take a real swing in tiger, i'll be happy. It just doesn't feel like it should if i can't grip it and rip it.

I too was going to get it until I saw the demo and the one handed swing - I'm not really a golf player but I at least want the game to play like real golf...

drewster2k said:
what more can a person ask for..

Proper tracking of my golf swing.

By the sound of it Tiger swings automatically and all we have to do is match his rythm. The new vid's look really good though I just hope the control system does'nt ruin the experience.

OK now Im confussed by all these game sites after reading the CVG preview http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158080

Extract CVG - "the whole system doesn't quite work as you would expect. Oddly the power you put into your shot depends not on how fast you swing the Remote, but on how far you raise the Remote behind you before swinging. Maybe there are some safety issues behind that decision?

So if you want to swing at full power, you raise the remote right up before you swing. But for half power you only raise the Remote back to just around hip-height.

To us that's totally illogical because, considering the Wii is intended to make games accessible to the whole family, if you give the Remote to your golf-loving granddad he will expect the speed of his arm movements to convert into his in-game shot - as it is in Wii Sports Golf."

Now I play golf and the above sounds like near proper golf tracking to me. If you just go ahead and grip it and rip it as hard as you can you might hit the odd long shot but most of the time you would just lose control and hook or slice or just simply duff it. In real golf you choose the club and try and put the same smooth full swing on each club to gain the required distance (the club dictates the distance). If I was playing real golf and I had to pitch up to the green and a full swing was'nt required I would swing three quarters or maybe half to cut the distance the ball flies.

So I've come to the conclusion these games reviewers (IGN, CVG etc) have'nt got a clue how to play real golf!!!

I'm still getting it regardless, i've had it preorder for over a month now, i have been playing the 360 demo of Tiger Woods and I can't wait to see how it stacks up on the Wii.

callme.nasty said:
if you were a real golfer, you'd realize how bad that game is. you can't even take a full swing. If i take even a half of a swing, it goes straight into the red. As long as i can take a real swing in tiger, i'll be happy. It just doesn't feel like it should if i can't grip it and rip it.

WiiGolf is bad because you can't rip it like a "real golfer".. ? well, you could say the same for virtually any of the WiiSports titles. I doubt real boxers would be satisfied with Boxing, or real baseball players with Baseball. But the point isn't to make a perfect golf simulation, it's to make an accessible golfing game for golfers and nongolfers alike.

Granted if you actually read the article linked, you would realize that Tiger Woods is not going to be anywhere NEAR your real golf swing. It will actually be MUCH further off than WiiGolf is, hence my comment. Readbeforereply next time pls thks.

callme.nasty said:

totaly agree with u!!

Back