Tiger Woods Controls

Borch712ers said:
wow...this is pathetic, simply pathetic

how long do we have to wait for someone to use the wiimote to its true potential. And dont give me that 'it just came out, give it some time bs' because they have had enough time, plus there is already a golf game out, plus wii sports golf that they could have learned from. If producers would actually use the mote to its potential than no matter how sad the storyline of the game is, it would be a huge success, just because it is original, why dont they understand that? Get your act together EA

You are completely clueless. And although I am not going to go back and quote every wrong statement from the people in this thread here are some highlights:

1) WiiSports Golf was a tech demo more or less, and as a pretty serious golfer, it was terrible.

2) Developers like EA put a tremendous amount of time and money into their games, they wouldn't do something stupid like have you "match his pace" to hit the ball. Nor would they do a velocity swing because that would handicap players who couldn't swing the remote fast.

3) Developers don't have access to other companies code/development, so regardless of whether another game is out and utlizing the wii controller, EA doesn't have access to ANY of their code so they are developing from scratch.

4) Golf games aren't about story, they are about gameplay. Tiger woods has added a "story" mode the last few years for lack of any real innovation because EA already has the best golf simulation on the market hands down. The key word there is SIMULATION, Tiger Woods is a realistic golf game, where Super Swing is an Arcade style golf game.

5) At least a large portion of Tiger Woods fans are golf enthusiasts, many golf, some simply like the sport. A minority are people who just play the games and have no interest in golf outside of the games.

Ok with that out of the way, it's pretty obvious you guys don't understand the IGN thing at all. Just because the guy is swinging with one hand doesn't mean you can't mimic your real life golf swing. I had a friend who did that in super swing golf, until he realized he gets a lot more consistant/accurate swing by doing it the right way (go figure, same applies to real golf). Also, range of movement matters in super swing golf too, the wii remote tracks how high you raise the remote at swing and then checks where you release the button to see if you followed through. What that means is you can use a little movement or a full fledged golf swing. However, to get a truly accurate and consistant swing you need to swing with a decent range of motion. So those lazy people who sit on their couch and flick the remote are going to be cursing at their tv when they end up shanking an important shot into the woods while I will be chipping out of the sand to inches from the cup because I have a good swing.

As far as the person who was wondering how the side arm guy was avoiding slices, go play some super swing golf...tiger woods is going to be similar in the slice/hook dept. What it does is check the angle the remote is facing at the top of your swing and sees if the angle changes during the swing....IE if you open up your wrists you will slice (just like you would in real golf). And if you haven't seen the commercials yet, the swing is real time...it's going to be about even pace just like it was on PS2...they wanted you to bring it back and forward smoothly to get the best shot (IE: real golf swing is better).

Rory

That's LAME.
I just watched the commercial with Tiger going full force and thought it'd be cool.
This sucks. I was actually thinking of buying this too.

Answer to the conversation that was going on before me first post: I love golf, I play it all the time, but I cant stand to watch it on TV, way too slow paced (dont ask, I know it doesnt make sense). Mario Golf is the only golf game I have ever played, so no, I dont have much experience in the 'golf gaming' dept but I will be getting this game.

Aithos said:
You are completely clueless. And although I am not going to go back and quote every wrong statement from the people in this thread here are some highlights:

1) WiiSports Golf was a tech demo more or less, and as a pretty serious golfer, it was terrible.

2) Developers like EA put a tremendous amount of time and money into their games, they wouldn't do something stupid like have you "match his pace" to hit the ball. Nor would they do a velocity swing because that would handicap players who couldn't swing the remote fast.

3) Developers don't have access to other companies code/development, so regardless of whether another game is out and utlizing the wii controller, EA doesn't have access to ANY of their code so they are developing from scratch.

4) Golf games aren't about story, they are about gameplay. Tiger woods has added a "story" mode the last few years for lack of any real innovation because EA already has the best golf simulation on the market hands down. The key word there is SIMULATION, Tiger Woods is a realistic golf game, where Super Swing is an Arcade style golf game.

5) At least a large portion of Tiger Woods fans are golf enthusiasts, many golf, some simply like the sport. A minority are people who just play the games and have no interest in golf outside of the games.

Ok with that out of the way, it's pretty obvious you guys don't understand the IGN thing at all. Just because the guy is swinging with one hand doesn't mean you can't mimic your real life golf swing. I had a friend who did that in super swing golf, until he realized he gets a lot more consistant/accurate swing by doing it the right way (go figure, same applies to real golf). Also, range of movement matters in super swing golf too, the wii remote tracks how high you raise the remote at swing and then checks where you release the button to see if you followed through. What that means is you can use a little movement or a full fledged golf swing. However, to get a truly accurate and consistant swing you need to swing with a decent range of motion. So those lazy people who sit on their couch and flick the remote are going to be cursing at their tv when they end up shanking an important shot into the woods while I will be chipping out of the sand to inches from the cup because I have a good swing.

As far as the person who was wondering how the side arm guy was avoiding slices, go play some super swing golf...tiger woods is going to be similar in the slice/hook dept. What it does is check the angle the remote is facing at the top of your swing and sees if the angle changes during the swing....IE if you open up your wrists you will slice (just like you would in real golf). And if you haven't seen the commercials yet, the swing is real time...it's going to be about even pace just like it was on PS2...they wanted you to bring it back and forward smoothly to get the best shot (IE: real golf swing is better).

Rory

Now, onto this. First off, I would like to admit that you probably do know more about this than I do, but I dont appreciate being called 'completely clueless', because I doubt that I am. I am fifteen and am probably jsut a little avove the 'average gamer'. Thanks for the reply because I now further understand this topic, but I still disagree with some of the things youve said.

1) Obviously, but atleast it replayed your swing on the swing just as you did in real life. From what Ive heard, TW wont do this.

2) lol, I thought the goal of the gaming world was to make things more realistic? I think the velocity of your swing should DEFINETLY matter. Maybe in the future they could have a setting for this: you could have velocity on (for a bigger challenge) or for children and (sorry if this offends anyone) women you could turn it off (if they need it off, that is). In any case, I think they should have the standard as velocity and if you dont like it than go get yourself mario golf or something of that nature.

3) I am not four, I understand that. I did not mean that EA should steal their codes and put it on their game and just change the name of the game to TW, what I meant is learn from those games' mistakes, and add onto the good things that they did. Again, back to the topic of TW not tracking your exact backswing/fallow-through.

4) Okay? But the point is they are both golf games. EA can definetly still learn things from this game.

5) I dont see where this point pertains to my post. Maybe about the velocity? I already went over that in number 2

Aithos said:

Rory

That was me. And that is really cool if that is how it is done.....checking the difference in the angle from the top to the bottom of the swing. I think that this is just going to have to be one that we all have to try it out and see how we like it. It's not like judging a games graphics or anything like that. It will feel different for each person, and respond differently to each persons swing. Which I think is the idea. I guess I'm just trying not to get myself all upset about it. I mean...nobody here has even tried the game, and there are people saying that the way they did the swing sucks. Maybe it will be a lot better when you actually try it. Who knows? I guess we will find out in a week.

And I ask that you be a bit more kind to people, and please don't do any name calling. It doesn't help anything.

They will never make the sports games 100% life like because in order to succeed you will need to be as good as Tiger. I....am not and prefer my sorts games to be playable to everyone

I just hope there are enough control options to satisfy both the casual gamer and us real golfers.

What would be really good is for a golf game with a virtual handicap. Beginners i.e. high handicap golfers could have the settings dumbed down and better players i.e. low handicap golfers could have more realistic settings slice,hook, topping etc.
As you improve at the game or get worse lol the settings get harder/ easier and the handicap changes. This would also help level the playing field in multiplayer games and keep everyone happy.

uncleclives said:
I just hope there are enough control options to satisfy both the casual gamer and us real golfers.

What would be really good is for a golf game with a virtual handicap. Beginners i.e. high handicap golfers could have the settings dumbed down and better players i.e. low handicap golfers could have more realistic settings slice,hook, topping etc.
As you improve at the game or get worse lol the settings get harder/ easier and the handicap changes. This would also help level the playing field in multiplayer games and keep everyone happy.

Awesome idea. Maybe you should write to EA. Maybe they wouldn't listen, but it is always worth a shot. It could go into next years game.

uncleclives said:

i like that idea. It kind of builds off of the idea that I previously posted. I am wondering how the computer would see someone topping the ball though...because they wouldnt know your height or arm span, so would it just make all tall people top the ball??

Aithos said:
Y Also, range of movement matters in super swing golf too, the wii remote tracks how high you raise the remote at swing and then checks where you release the button to see if you followed through. What that means is you can use a little movement or a full fledged golf swing. However, to get a truly accurate and consistant swing you need to swing with a decent range of motion. So those lazy people who sit on their couch and flick the remote are going to be cursing at their tv when they end up shanking an important shot into the woods while I will be chipping out of the sand to inches from the cup because I have a good swing.

Rory

not real sure how true that is. after struggling forever trying to get pangya on a fairly consistant basis swinging like a real golf shot, i finally gave up and became one of those 'lazy people who sit on their couch and flick the remote'.

now i know that sucks, and i wish i could play as well 'golfing' it, but thats not the point, the range of motion was. when i sit on my couch and flick my wrist, not only do i get full power, i get consistant pangya. and if you can do that, and basic mathematics, 'chipping inches from the cup' is a given, if not in the cup! hell tomahawking 240 yards, inches from the cup makes me mad lol. just scored a -26 on shining sand though :)

peterose said:
not real sure how true that is. after struggling forever trying to get pangya on a fairly consistant basis swinging like a real golf shot, i finally gave up and became one of those 'lazy people who sit on their couch and flick the remote'.

now i know that sucks, and i wish i could play as well 'golfing' it, but thats not the point, the range of motion was. when i sit on my couch and flick my wrist, not only do i get full power, i get consistant pangya. and if you can do that, and basic mathematics, 'chipping inches from the cup' is a given, if not in the cup! hell tomahawking 240 yards, inches from the cup makes me mad lol. just scored a -26 on shining sand though :)

Aithos, I rest my case.

Lets also keep in mind that just because you CAN play a game one handed doesn't mean you HAVE too. I mean I do a lot of stuff one handed :smilewinkgrin: but that doesn't mean it isn't much better in a different way.

What I am curious about is to see if they get this title and technology to a level where golfers use it to practice like NASCAR drivers do with racing sims. That would be fairly kickasz.

Last edited:
I think Tiger woods and SSX are both out on Friday in the UK and i'm really not sure which to get. I loved TW on the PS2 and am tempted to get and just use the GC controller if the motion sensor controls are not too good, i reckon id still get much enjoyment from it. As a keen and rather usless golfer I cant ever imagine playing a golf game and it feeling like the real thing, unless maybe they bring out a full size motion sensored club, now that would be ace/dangeroues.

Back