TMNT Smash Up

Frog

WiiChat Member
Oct 21, 2007
I rented this game and must say it is not that great.

It's shallow, the moves are boring, and frankly there is not enough variety in stages or characters.

It's clearly meant to be a Smash Brothers clone as it is the same developers (Game Arts) yet it has absolutely no soul.

I then took the the game out after playing multiplayer with my wife and some friends (all hated it), and the arcade mode, and the missions. All of it was boring and I love the original black&white comics, later cartoons, and even the live-action movies. I put Super Smash Brothers in for the first time in six months and was just blown away how good it is in comparison. Every character plays tight and has gazillions of moves etc.

TMNT's biggest flaw is that the move-sets are really limited and boring.

Do you think a kid would like this game ages 7 and 3? They love TMNT as do I. I dont think they would care that the game is shallow just as long as they can play turtles lol. I might have to rent it but i know its a game they both want. As my 3 year old keeps asking to play TMNT4 on PS3.

Do you think a kid would like this game ages 7 and 3? They love TMNT as do I. I dont think they would care that the game is shallow just as long as they can play turtles lol. I might have to rent it but i know its a game they both want. As my 3 year old keeps asking to play TMNT4 on PS3.
Yea, I am guessing this would work for them.

I'd rent it first though to see if they have fun or not.

i bought it from amazon and just arrived today. i will post my impression but judging by the utube videos is:
sort of close to smash bros but with ninja turtles.

HAY YOU GUYS!
teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_tournament_fighters_profilelarge.jpg
Who said that the recent Turtles games where good?

Even the remake of Turtles in time was crap compared to the original.

i remember tournament fighters.i wanted it when i saw it in nintendo power. was it for snes because i think by the time it came out i either moved on to n64 or i wasnt a turtle maniac anymore. i never played it.

about smash up:

first impression is...i love it.. i actually win a couple times unlike smash where im in loser city.

i saw some cool characters i dont have like the nightwatcher, foot soldier,a bunny, shredder, and craing(yea he is inside the robot).

gameplay is similar to smash but you cant crouch.

i played with a GC controller since i started.

wifi is just 2 options... friends or matchup(with anyone).. during the wait instead of a punching bag you can fight your clone..however i wish you could turn him off because he gets annoying.
lag is there i suppose. i had to quit and reconnect sometimes because it wouldnt find anyone

It's shallow, the moves are boring, and frankly there is not enough variety in stages or characters.

It's clearly meant to be a Smash Brothers clone as it is the same developers (Game Arts) yet it has absolutely no soul.

I disagree. There are similarities, but it's not really a Smash Bros clone at all. The controls were kept simple like Smash Bros, but there are little simple combos you can do with each character if you look them up on GameFAQs or somewhere (or button mash and do them accidentally). There's also the addition of climbing on and attacking from the wall and swinging from objects in certain stages. With all of those added, there are just as many moves to use as there are in Smash Bros. TMNT uses health bars and stuns when you get hit. In that regard, it's more like a traditional fighting game than Smash Bros is. I think they really went out of their way to make sure it wasn't a Smash Bros clone. But if you don't like it, you don't like it. Not everyone is gonna like it.

Being limited to only one franchise (which Smash Bros. obviously isn't) can make variety challenging. The "Rabbid" characters are a stupid addition to this game and a total waste. There are still plenty of characters they could have added instead, but the same is true of Smash Bros. Shredder is too strong and can take out about half of the health bar with one hit even if you're blocking.

I put Super Smash Brothers in for the first time in six months and was just blown away how good it is in comparison. Every character plays tight and has gazillions of moves etc.

I lol'd @ "gazillions of moves".

Back