To Mod or Not to Mod

XLaw said:
Your and idiot for agreeing with the other idiot who says that people who chip their consoles are noobs. You call a noob who just saves a loads of cash?
Think what your saying.

And erm how is he/she saving cash? if its illegal im tottaly against it!! If they are downloading and copying games thats illegal and rips off nintendo and other companies.
I would much rather have my console the way its sposed to be and pay for my games.
I dont want to get into the whole is modding right or wrong arguement here. I just think people who mod consoles to play Back-ups which they do not own is wrong! If they use it legaly and correctly i have no probs with it to be honest!

Modding is a discrace to the gaming world, no thanks to microsoft for introducing it to the "wide" public. (so fanboys won't say BUT THERE WAS MODDING BEFORE WE CAME :( )

1. voids warrenty
2. risky
3. cost money
4. not really worth it
5. Might interfear with other things nintendo releases.
6. potentially illegal.
7. future Firmware updates could find it even IF it even has a "stealth" mode.
8. stupid and pointless, why potentially ruin an amazing system?
9. Rips off great companies and no money means no games for you fools. Modding is a noob thing, Its so stupid. Kinda simple modding = no money = no games from game comapnies. Infact i think it might become illegal COMPLEATLY.
10. Some game companies are shooting law suits from all over at basement geeks making "home brews"

Last edited:
miiplaywii said:
Ill give you some advice from a WiiKey user.
Don't buy a Cyclowiz, theres lots of problems with them including only been compatible with some Wiis
My WiiKey works great, my friends Wiifree also works great.
If you are good at soldering surface mount components, you can do it yourself but I recommend getting someone who does it regularly.
The quick solder joints don't line up (its weird) so wires must be used on all joints.
At this point you can only backup games with a specific DVD ROM (LG). Its only about $20. You can always download backups through torrent sites but they are big files 4GB. Hope that helps you make a decision

Calm down CP30 getting too excited.

You can mod ur wii with wiikey, its undetectable , unpgreadable, works with stealth mode and restore mod. It's the best one out there, just make sure to buy from an offecial resellercuz there are many clones fakes and edae on arrival chipps out there.

BUT make sure that you still buy original games, the once that you like the most, like a gamoe or two at least, or else game producers will loose and this will affect you in the long run :)

minto said:
making backups is what killed the dreamcast

Totally wrong. Dreamcast ultimately failed because of
1) Sega's already tarnished reputation from the Saturn debacle,
2) Lack of support from EA Games/Sports (due to previous poor sales of Saturn games), and
3) Brand dominance of Nintendo (N64) and Sony (PS2)'s forays in the market.

You'll notice that Dreamcast sales were brisk in its first six months, then quickly plummeted once the PS2 came out.

Dreamcast was a great system that just didn't have the games, marketing, and brand appeal behind it to enjoy any sort of staying power. It does, however, still have a substantial cult following more than 5 years after it stopped production because of its modability, not despite it.

neowiineo said:
Hi

I havent had a Wii long and with all my previous consoles I eventually Modded so i could play backups of my games (ahem)!

With my Xbox i didnt mod for a long long long time prefering to just buy the best games and I carried on like that.

Are there any real arguments against modding apart from the risk to the actual console etc

yes mod.. i will mod it soon too .. but this is my advice....
wait till online comes out and see if the mod's support online capabilities... until then.. don't mod..

I dont think I'd mod my Wii. Simply because if Nintendo finds out about the modchip then they just send out an update and then you just waste your money. Then again you can turn off WiiConnect24 but then you cant go online so it defeats the purpose. Dont mod :).

mod your wii with the wiikey. you will not regret it. and you can use the tons of money you save on buying GAS!!!

The main purpose of most of these mod chip is to interface w/ the serial port on the dvd mech and allow it to run any type of media. It should have no effects on any other aspects of the wii other that the speed and the ability of the dvd mech to read whats in it. You can alway remove a mod chip.
Also even w/ the wiikey installed on I still buy games, but it allows me to rent games and play them for longer then 5 days (because most of the time I end up getting to play maybe 1 day) w/o spending $50 on a game that may be a pos.

Last edited:
Mod away! It's up to you! Enjoy it's fantastic benifits! I modded my Wii with the WiiKey and it works magic!

By the way, about the warranty stuff, yeah it voids the warranty but I don't care, If something happens to my Wii, I'll just go buy another one. Honestly, $250 is not that bad. And then, I'll mod it again!

consider a soft mod

datel (they made action replay) released a product called "sd media launcher" where u can put an sd card in a reader the fits into ur gamecube memory card slot can play some emulators and few other features u cant play back ups of new games but they have emulators for many of the old ones
http://us.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&p=23&i=9064&s=8

joey47 said:
mod your wii with the wiikey. you will not regret it. and you can use the tons of money you save on buying GAS!!!

Better idea... How about you steal the gas instead. Atleast you'll be supporting those that aren't out to rob you in the first place.

Anyhow, I would not mod my wii, however I have a modded xbox with EVERY nes game, Just about every SNES game, lots o' 64 games, and so on... Yet I feel no issue with that setup. I just laugh when people whine about all the games they cant or wont ever get on VC cause of ownership rights. They way I see it, im not robbing anything from Microsoft that they would have ever got from me in first place. (one exception, San Andreas: but I own it on ps2 so RS got paid)

Just re-read post and realized I rambled like an old man... O well im a :tard:

i would never mod my wii..i dunno but to me it somehow feels like my wii would be infected or something...lol...plus i think it's just wrong..

Back