Too many 'girl games'

Celeste said:
If someone bought me something like Metroid Prime or Mario Strikers Charged, I'd probably start crying.
I need the girly games. And a variety of them, at that. Look at me, the stereotypical girl ~*gamer*~
I actually have Cooking Mama on pause. I suck at cracking teh eggs, that **** is hard.
I'm not domestic either...at all. Toasted bagels and ramen noodles FTW.
That is all.
you will love this game then.....

B000GJ0J1K.jpg

It seems to be Nintendo's tactic as of late- they can't get the hardcore gamers (who mostly play 360 and PS3) so they appeal to other potential gamers. Ingenious really, but the problem is it leads to all these bloody party games and non-games (like Brain Age and WarioWare) and not enough "traditional" games (I dislike trying to define games as being masculine or feminine, so I'm avoiding it). I know some females who only like casual/cute games, but equally I know females who like Zelda, Metroid, etc. as much as the next male. I guess it's the price of Nintendo's resurgence that we must suffer a flood of those sorts of games, because I doubt they'd have survived without them.

Heyy I liked Nintendogs..only because I cant have a dog of my own. I think these "girl games" are mostly "little girl games" that the companies pop out because they know it attracts the younger crowd...which it does. There are just as many YU GI OH games for little boys. I hate these games too, but im sure if i was 9 I would dig em. But now I just ignore them, just like the boys. Gender schmender, i play what I want.

I played Nintendogs at a friends house! I think it was Nintendogs... but it was surprisingly entertaining... coming from a 16 year old boy. :scared:

Oh God, I didn't expect all these replies, but I'll go with it anyway...

Squall7 said:
Although, gaming in general is regarded as "naturally masculine", which I also dislike the idea of, and that exactly where Nintendo are doing things right. Take for example Phantom Hourglass's ads. Some of those are targetted towards girls/women, despite the Zelda games being associated as "Longtime gaming" and therefore "naturally masculine". Compare that to Ocarina of Time's, "Whilst thou save the girl, or play like one", and you begin to see a serious difference in attitudes towards female gamers.

I don't know why it started off to be masculine, surely, everyone fancies playing games, we've just accepted in society today now that it's a boy thing. That's what I noticed when I was little, my uncle passed me down all of his old Nintendo consoles, my nan wouldn't buy them for my mum, she asked for them, but I just never knew why. I mean, games weren't even gender specific then.

The Phantom Hourglass advert really threw me off, they started to introduce all of the typical girl games then came out with that at the end. I own that game, and, yeah, it's fun, but I wouldn't throw it in with the modern girly category. The reason I think that was for was the cell shaded graphics, I knew people who bought Wind Waker because it looked 'cute' compared to the other games, even though the graphics side on the DS look absolutely dreadful.

Byuakuya said:
Wow, remind me never to get on your bad side.
Anyway, I agree with you on all sections, since I have a sister who feels the same way. Girls can be just as "hardcore" as boys when it comes down to games, but I don't think that these kind of games will ever go away. As long as there are parents who continue to purchase these sort of games for their children, these games will continue to thrive.

Why does no one ever want to get on my bad side? xD

I think that's due to all of the violent games that are associated with gaming has spawned these girly parental satisfactory games on. I'd be playing Soul Calibur and my nan just simply could not watch, she saw it as some form of violence, but I was like "Do you know how many freaking buttons I had to press to get that combo!?" It's just the way you look on it... She'd point out crappy girly things in the shops too... Ehh, history is repeating itself through their children.

Napalmbrain said:
It seems to be Nintendo's tactic as of late- they can't get the hardcore gamers (who mostly play 360 and PS3) so they appeal to other potential gamers. Ingenious really, but the problem is it leads to all these bloody party games and non-games (like Brain Age and WarioWare) and not enough "traditional" games (I dislike trying to define games as being masculine or feminine, so I'm avoiding it). I know some females who only like casual/cute games, but equally I know females who like Zelda, Metroid, etc. as much as the next male. I guess it's the price of Nintendo's resurgence that we must suffer a flood of those sorts of games, because I doubt they'd have survived without them.

Well, I think that Nintendo could have survived without targeting a market which isn't new to games. It is really like trying to sell a car to people who can't drive. I applaud them for being innovative and all that jazz but these games aren't encouraging third party developers, they're just wasting time on all cases. But, I suppose if it's for money then we better get some sunshine from their asses when Brawl comes out.

Celestial said:
I played Nintendogs at a friends house! I think it was Nintendogs... but it was surprisingly entertaining... coming from a 16 year old boy.

Yeah, well, you like Celine Dion, Ziad. ;)

Celestial said:
lol Can I ask how you know that? Or is that just a guess?! Or did I tell you..? I dunno!:scared:

You tell me lots of things.

:shifty:

Celeste said:
If someone bought me something like Metroid Prime or Mario Strikers Charged, I'd probably start crying.
I need the girly games. And a variety of them, at that. Look at me, the stereotypical girl ~*gamer*~
I actually have Cooking Mama on pause. I suck at cracking teh eggs, that **** is hard.
I'm not domestic either...at all. Toasted bagels and ramen noodles FTW.
That is all.

To crack the eggs, you have to nudge the Wii Remote twice. Don't nudge it hard. I have that game as well.. Lmao! >_> But I finished. Well, I don't really mind. It does kind of bother me a bit, about the whole 'Hannah Montana Game' ..hmm, but yeah. Oh well, we can't really do anything about it. I just find a game that I think that's really interesting. So I buy it.

WiiWouldLike2Play said:
To crack the eggs, you have to nudge the Wii Remote twice. Don't nudge it hard. I have that game as well.. Lmao! >_> But I finished. Well, I don't really mind. It does kind of bother me a bit, about the whole 'Hannah Montana Game' ..hmm, but yeah. Oh well, we can't really do anything about it. I just find a game that I think that's really interesting. So I buy it.
Haha I alwaysss nudge it too hard.
I love Hannah Montana, lmao.
I'm probably the oldest girl here, too.

I mostly agree with you, except for one thing, Cooking Mama.

That game is awesome and not "Girly". COOKING IS FOR MENZ! I know at least 3 other guys friends who own it and no girls who own it. Again, COOKING IS FOR MENZ.

The only way you can say it is girly, is by not playing it. That's all I have to say about that.

Last edited:
Back