total time to beat brawl, videos, lists of how to unlock things & more

wiilike

Banned
Aug 21, 2007
total time to beat brawl, videos, lists of how to unlock things, my review & more

SPOILERS~

-text colored in green is an indication that it is updated
-text colored in light red is an indication that it is a message
-text colored in blue is an indication of a new section

is there truly another character that we don't know of?
there is a very big rumor going around that another character (a.k.a taboo, mewtwo or roy) is unlockable in brawl. taboo, unlocked by beating subspace on intese, mewtwo and roy by being downloaded. now, are both true? is one true? is this just a big piece of ****? i'll be answering that question by experiencing with the japan version of brawl. i hope this rumor is true, seeing as i can't beat subspace on intense.

the lasting appeal of super smash bros. brawl
we all know that melee is a great succes. even to this day, i am still playing melee, as i've had it for 4+ years. melee's lasting appeal is probably one of the strongest in the gaming world for me. but will brawl have this kind of lasting appeal? to most people, the answer is yes (see as brawl has more things to waste time on). but don't forget, alot of things from melee are also in brawl, which means that once someone who has beaten melee will be familiarized with some aspects of brawl already. i'm trying to say that this will cut down your experience time with the game. to tell you the truth, i think that to people who have played melee, this game will last about 2-3 years. to people new to the series will probably be playing for about 4-6 years. the discussion doesn't stop here, feel free to post your opinion!

played brawl for 100 hours. what's left?
well, when i was at about 100 hours of playing brawl, i definetly knew that there were some trophies that were well hidden and needed to be spotted. in brawl, there are technically two types of trophies in my eyes. the one's that you get from playing the coin laucher and subspace. plus, there are some that you unlock by beating a particular goal (much like characters and stages are unlocked). some of these goals are EXTREMLY hard to meet. to get about 3 trophies, it took about 5 hours to do. most of the "goal" trophies that i have so far, were unlocked in events mode. for example: i had to complete an event in a certain amount of time. for those of you who think you can get to about 98%, or even about 92%... THINK again!!! it's gonna be hard, believe me. so once you get to about 80%, don't feel like you've basically unlocked everything.

It looks like downloadable content for brawl won't happen
apparantly, nintendo has confirmed that this will not happen. click here to see the interview. i'm sorry for the people who were hoping for this. although, this doesn't 100% confirm that there will not be DLC (downloadable characters)

the top ten characters of brawl (in my opinion)
let's face it, everyone is better with some characters than playing with other ones. i'm first going to tell you what type of fighter i am so you can understand why i've selected these. i like fighting with power, i don't want to keep smacking and working my butt off just to get an enemy's damage to 30%. i like bowser's recovery as well as DK's and fox's. that is because these can travel horizontally and go quite a distance. i like to have a character that can avoid an enemy's moves with a simple side-step. this is one of the easiest ways to grab someone offguard. now, for what you've all been waiting for, the list. note: it may be updated later on due to more experience. (click the spoiler tag to see)
10. falco
9. luigi
8. fox
7. link
6. R.O.B
5. cpt. falcon
4. metaknight
3. toon link
2. marth
1. lucario

ps: marth and lucario are about equal for me

BRAWL Q & A

simple. post in this thread (about a question) and i'll (hopefully) answer to my knowledge about brawl. then, it will be viewed here. short and sweet. this was made on Feb. 28th 2008

Q: How do you usually play brawl? like i mean with what controller set up. with the wii mote and numchuck? or gamecube controller

A:
i've tried all controllers. i'll tell you from least to greatest (in my opinion)

4th : wii remote + nunchuk
3rd : wii remote (sideways)
2nd : classic controller
1st : gamecube controller

once, you've been used to melee, it's hard to change.

Q: Is yoshi a good character in brawl and is his up B move, a third jump?

A:
I've never thought of yoshi as a good character. i'm not too good with him in neither smash bros. game. but if you're good with him in melee, he hasn't changed much. unfortunatly, his (up B) move won't be yoshi's third jump. but don't forget to use your sheild in the air! it's a tiny bit like a third jump

Q: who is taboo?

A:
he is the final boss in the subspace emmisary. he looks all blueish and is related to the master hand. this is his first appearance.

Q: i really need to know this. can u use 2 gamecube controllers and 2 wii controllers?

A:
you can use any combination with a maximum of 4 controllers

CHARACTER REVIEWS

welcome to the character review section. this section was added on Feb. 26th 2008. most people will look at this section to see who's good and bad (in my opinion). to be able to see your character's ratings in this thread, just post about it. don't worry, i'll add them here within 1-5 days garanteed. if you don't agree with some ratings, always feel free to post your opinion.

0 = points for strength (max. 5)
0 = points for jump ability (max. 3)
0 = points for speed (max. 4)

the most a character can score is 12 in total. if the score is 5- they are considered not too great. a score between 6 and 8 is about average and 9+ is to be one of the best characters.

000000000 = marth (total: 9)

0000000 = ike (total: 7)

00000000 = metaknight (total: 8)

00000000 = fox (total: 8)

000000 = R.O.B (total: 6)

0000000 = falco (total: 7)

0000000 = ganondorf (total: 7)

0000000000 = lucario (total: 10)

HOW LONG THIS GAME IS...

i've been living in japan for 2 years now as a canadian and am so happy i have made the descision to stay! now that i have my copy of brawl, i can tell you guys all about it. plus have it one month earlier! (sorry, don't mean to be such a bragger)

in this game, in order for you to 100% complete it,

-you must have all 35 chars
-all stages
-trophies
-stickers
-completed all adventure modes
-played brawl (2-4 player mode) at least 1,000 times
-unlocked parts in stage builder
-played classic mode with all characters
-beat all target test stages

and so on...

well, it turns out that i'm actually 87% complete with 114hrs. of gameplay (i really like this game!)

since this is what it is, it is expected to unlock at least 95% of things within about 200hrs!

i'm dead serious, it's very hard to acquire some well hidden trophies and don't forget playing subspace in hard mode! actually, it will be almost impossible to get a 100%. think about it, if you can't just complete one mission, or not know about one trophy, then you're screwed!

MY REVIEW

as for my review, i'm going to update this post after i've gotten about 50% though the game.

okay, so here it is, after playing brawl for about 70 hours i am finally going to review the darn thing. i will be telling you my opinion organized in different paragraphs based on different game modes and will conclude with some final scores on appearance, sound quality, in-depth gameplay, lasting appeal etc. so, onto the review!

the first thing i will be talking about is the characters. most characters are pretty straight-out different, unlike melee. this game technically does'nt have any clones. there are only, what some people call "half clones" which are a bit the same to another character. some characters that anyone can play are mario, C. falcon, fox and link. once you start to get good at the game, you will start to find playing as olimar and lucario will be accomplishable. each character is unique and obviously the best roster in the ssb series. it is quite easy to unlock most characters since playing vs. mode 30-100 times obviously won't take more than a week to do. i think that lucario and squirtle are one of the best structured characters. i like using snake very much, but for newbs, he might take a bit getting used to. one of the main things that i was concerned about when i first started playing was, will one character be better than the other, or will they all be pretty much equal? i was hoping that they were different, so when you're trying to unlock a character, they can be even better than the one's you have. that was the case! for some people, having each character different, not balanced is a bad thing. i personally do not understand that. anyway, unlocking is worth it because R.O.B is a good character and will most likely be on the top of the tier. it is very unfortunate that there are only 35 characters, i was expecting at least 45. unfortunatly, it takes getting used to with R.O.B as well. so now i'm giving my final score for the characters.

now the stages. wow, these places are so gorgeous. have you seen the final destination background yet? seeing as you can choose from about 3-5 different songs for each stage sends chills down your spine. having all these song varieties for them can make a big difference, trust me. the stages are on average, quite small, but thanks to the return of the temple stage and stage builder, it's okay. stage builder is very, very fun to play around with. once you have a collection of some stages and images floating around in your mind, or you like creating things, you are going to love this mode. i am very happy that nintendo has put this into the smash series. in brawl, i find it a bit easier to die on most stages since the sides are a bit thinner on some stages, leaving your character's third jump a bit unused (maybe not for some people). so, time to rate the stages in brawl.

onto the subspace emmisary. well, after completing this mode on easy, i'd have to say it's pretty easy :lol:. but i encourage alot of you readers to play the subspace mode on normal or hard as it will be more rewarding once you complete each stage (plus the bosses are kick-ass hard!). this is my all-time favorite mode of this game. it is very in-depth and you can see so many clips of nintendo moments. plus you can get to see for the first time how some characters that have never met, have a clip together. it is very spectacularof how they combine the stories, but you have to see it for yourself. as yu already know, enemies have a health gauge and i'm sure most of you guys are eager for this. i also totally agree with np's review of ssbb in which they speak of the subspace emmisary. anyway, i don't want to spoil this part too much, because it's not just the icing on the cake, it's the extra cherries, sprinkles and oh yes, choclate!

now, what some people are interested in reading, the wi-fi mode of brawl. well, for the most part, i've only played this mode 3-5 times so i'm not 100% familiar with it. the reason i never got around to playing this mode alot is because it (no offense) isn't that great. since nintendo is a bit new to online play, it's a bit laggy. now, i know what most of you are thinking (the game just came out, so alot of people are going to be playing it), well once it comes out in america, there's going to be even MORE people playing it! don't forget europe. another reason is because (most of you already know this) there isn't a scoreboard for the online play. even with this mode not being that great, i won't tally up the online score to the final score (which i'm going to give in 2-3 weeks) that much. i'm doing this because it is still an awesome game without online play, but if it didn't have it, brawl would obviously be worse than with online play.

onto the classic mode. there isn't too much to say here because this mode is very simmilar to the classic mode of melee. although, it is still better. so far, every mode in brawl is looking better than melee's simmilar mode. i'd say that this classic mode is a bit longer than the other melee one. as usual, there are team battles, metal brawls and giant matches. do not worry about this mode being too short, it's just fine the way it is.

this aspect of the game has been upgraded tremendously. it is so spectacular. it is... music in brawl. for those of you who just zoom through the article, you may want to stop zooming at this point and read this part. the music in brawl is definatly the best combination of songs in a game. not only that, there are so many! the way they've composed the song in a new type of way reminds you of the old nintendo days while you are fighting on the stage. for example: when playing the luigi's mansion stage, it reminds me of sucking up those ghosts etc. this game offers so much variety for the songs and collecting a new CD feels rewarding. in melee, i just took a peek at the sound mode about 2-3 times. with brawl, you can close your eyes and the music will take you to whichever game you heard that from. you can tell this one's gonna get a pretty high score. so, here it is.

the event mode strikes my review at this point. i've beaten this mode and know that it is one of the hard parts of brawl. once you beat event mode in brawl, you don't seem to get the need to go back to it that much. this mode doesn't have too much of a lasting appeal. it is still exciting though. what i mean to say is, when you're playing event mode for the first time, it WILL be fun... but after you beat it, you probably won't go back to it that much. this event mode is more in-depth than melee's and has more thought-out events. it's definatly better than melee's event mode (even though it has less events). it's expected to beat this mode on easy in 1-3 hours. for hard, it's probably going to take you a good 7-12 hours to keep trying and aiming to beat it. so far, every single mode in brawl is much better than melee's simmilar mode. here's the final score.

here's the visual aspect of brawl reviewed. i can't talk too much about this so don't worry about too much reading. you can't compare the visuals from melee and brawl. there are just so much more detail put into the backgrounds of stages. it might not be as much of a difference as ssb to ssbm but it's still a big leap. twilight princess had very good visuals and i can kind of compare this game to those types of visuals. here's a tip: get a 50" TV, put the volume loud and sit back. brawl will do the rest. although some items (ex. pokemon) are pretty much blockey. this game can't compare to some of the ps3 games. it still features the peak of the wii though.

HOW TO UNLOCK THINGS

here are some unlockable things in the game to show what i'm talking about.

ps: spoiler galore and mr. game & watch is unlockable by playing classic with every character!!! (three hours right there)

super spoilers coming up:

characters:

Captain Falcon: Beat Classic in 20 minutes or less then defeat him in the following match or 70 VS matches

Falco: Beat 100-man brawl or play 50 VS matches

Ganondorf: Clear Classic on Hard with Link or Zelda OR play 200 VS. matches

Jigglypuff: Complete Classic Mode with any character other than Ike or Complete Event Match 20 or 350 VS matches

Lucario: Defeat in SSE with Meta Knight or Complete 5 Target Tests with any character or 100 VS matches

Luigi: Complete Classic Mode on Easy (without continues) or 22 VS matches

Marth: Play 10 Brawls OR finish Classic on any difficulty OR get Marth in the SSE

Mr. Game & Watch: Beat classic mode with every character or 250 VS matches

Ness: Play five matches OR Reflect ten projecticles AND meet Ness in SSE.

R.O.B. (Robot): Play 160 VS. matches

Snake: Play 15 matches on Shadow Moses Island or 130 VS matches

Sonic: Complete the Subspace Emissary or 300 VS matches

Toon Link: Finish the Classic mode as Link or 400 VS matches

Wolf: In the stage "Iseki" (Ruins) skip the first door you pass when being lowered in to the pit. Instead enter the second door at the bottom or 450 VS matches

stages:

Luigi's Mansion: play brawl as luigi 3 times

Jungle Japes: Play on any Melee stage 10 times in VS Mode

Pokémon Stadium: Play on Pokémon Stadium 2 10 times in VS Mode

Electroplankton Stage: Complete Event #28

Mario Bros: beat Challenge #19

Great Sea: Unlock Toon Link

Big Blue (Melee): Brawl as Captain Falcon 10 times

Spear Pillar: Clear stage #25 in Event Mode

Green Hill Zone: Unlock Sonic

Flat Zone 2: Unlock Mr. Game & Watch

Green Greens: Fight as Kirby in VS mode 20 times

75m: Brawl as Donkey Kong 20 times

trophies:

Smash Ball
Assist Trophy
CDs
Rolling Crates
Blast Box
Sandbag
Food
Timer

note: these are the ways to unlock things in the JAPAN version (which is simmilar to the AMERICAN version)

GAMEPLAY VIDEOS

this section is going to grow rapidly with gameplay videos of super smash bros brawl. of the hundreds that are already on youtube, i will be selecting the best of the best to present to you guys.

all character's final smashes

footage of lucario, R.O.B and C. Falcon

20 minute events mode footage

subspace cutscenes

stage builder footage

sonic mania on green hill zone

brawl tutorial and more...

electroplankton stage

SONGS IN BRAWL

i'll be filling this section up with the highlight (best) songs from brawl. just a few, not too much. probably about 6-15. enjoy :wink: !

zelda:

kakariko village

hidden village

song of storms

sonic:

sonic boom

metriod:

metriod prime menu theme

brinstar

starfox:

corneria

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks dude, by three days i expect to get my full review on this thread. it will contain a bit of spoilage and will be about one full page. i've made a list on a scrap piece of paper of what i'm planning to type about. I am currently 47% through the game

man. you are reel tough on your review. never seen someone give such low scores. but i know that ur prob. gonna give like a 9.9 on subspace. if not, you should! other that that, very very very nice thread. this should be sickied

now it's 78 hours with 78% complete (lol). i have all stages and chars

ps: subspace is rockin' (see 1st post for everything)

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, this game looks sweet. I am personally looking forward to playing as Link, Pit, Sonic and Lucario, can you tell me if they are any good?

link is better than he was in melee. lucario has a very good moveset. fox is a bit slower than last time. sonic is obviously the fastest in the game. i'd say that wolf is a tiny bit better than fox because i'm good with stong guys.

hope that helped dude :wink:

you should review the gameplay...it being the most important part of the game. but nice thread

thanks, but i was going to do that anyway (lol). my review isn't finished yet. but thanks for the observation. :cool:

what i like about this thread is even when we get ssbb, we'll be able to come to this when we need a little help.:yesnod:

guys, take it easy, i added another message about a hidden (possible 36th character) read and reply please! :wink:

:crazy:

he is.....................................................................................
the final boss of the subspace emmisary mode

Back