total time to beat brawl, videos, lists of how to unlock things & more

ike is pretty good. a tiny bit better than roy in melee. ganondorf as in melee, is very slow with most of his attacks. i still reccomend him though, because his (up_A) move can deal up to 50% if you charge it. lucario is very good. since he's only a bit like mewtwo because he is faster and has a few different moves. i still think marth is better than ike though. (ps: ike's (up_B) move is sweet. i like it alot.

andrew, are there any differences in power between ness and lucas?? bit random but i went through a phase in melee when i mained with ness :sick:

andrewguy said:
ike is pretty good. a tiny bit better than roy in melee. ganondorf as in melee, is very slow with most of his attacks. i still reccomend him though, because his (up_A) move can deal up to 50% if you charge it. lucario is very good. since he's only a bit like mewtwo because he is faster and has a few different moves. i still think marth is better than ike though. (ps: ike's (up_B) move is sweet. i like it alot.

Cool thanks

i don't really notice a difference in power between ness and lucas. but ness is probably a better overall character. (pretty close though)

andrewguy said:
i don't really notice a difference in power between ness and lucas. but ness is probably a better overall character. (pretty close though)

thanks, any major changes for the veterans or are they all pretty much the same??

lucario and marth are very, very high. they are my 2 best characters. toon link is also pretty good.

my opinion: updated!

okay, so here it is, after playing brawl for about 70 hours i am finally going to review the darn thing. i will be telling you my opinion organized in different paragraphs based on different game modes and will conclude with some final scores on appearance, sound quality, in-depth gameplay, lasting appeal etc. so, onto the review!

the first thing i will be talking about is the characters. most characters are pretty straight-out different, unlike melee. this game technically does'nt have any clones. there are only, what some people call "half clones" which are a bit the same to another character. some characters that anyone can play are mario, C. falcon, fox and link. once you start to get good at the game, you will start to find playing as olimar and lucario will be accomplishable. each character is unique and obviously the best roster in the ssb series. it is quite easy to unlock most characters since playing vs. mode 30-100 times obviously won't take more than a week to do. i think that lucario and squirtle are one of the best structured characters. i like using snake very much, but for newbs, he might take a bit getting used to. one of the main things that i was concerned about when i first started playing was, will one character be better than the other, or will they all be pretty much equal? i was hoping that they were different, so when you're trying to unlock a character, they can be even better than the one's you have. that was the case! for some people, having each character different, not balanced is a bad thing. i personally do not understand that. anyway, unlocking is worth it because R.O.B is a good character and will most likely be on the top of the tier. it is very unfortunate that there are only 35 characters, i was expecting at least 45. unfortunatly, it takes getting used to with R.O.B as well. so now i'm giving my final score for the characters.

now the stages. wow, these places are so gorgeous. have you seen the final destination background yet? seeing as you can choose from about 3-5 different songs for each stage sends chills down your spine. having all these song varieties for them can make a big difference, trust me. the stages are on average, quite small, but thanks to the return of the temple stage and stage builder, it's okay. stage builder is very, very fun to play around with. once you have a collection of some stages and images floating around in your mind, or you like creating things, you are going to love this mode. i am very happy that nintendo has put this into the smash series. in brawl, i find it a bit easier to die on most stages since the sides are a bit thinner on some stages, leaving your character's third jump a bit unused (maybe not for some people). so, time to rate the stages in brawl.

onto the subspace emmisary. well, after completing this mode on easy, i'd have to say it's pretty easy . but i encourage alot of you readers to play the subspace mode on normal or hard as it will be more rewarding once you complete each stage (plus the bosses are kick-ass hard!). this is my all-time favorite mode of this game. it is very in-depth and you can see so many clips of nintendo moments. plus you can get to see for the first time how some characters that have never met, have a clip together. it is very spectacularof how they combine the stories, but you have to see it for yourself. as yu already know, enemies have a health gauge and i'm sure most of you guys are eager for this. i also totally agree with np's review of ssbb in which they speak of the subspace emmisary. anyway, i don't want to spoil this part too much, because it's not just the icing on the cake, it's the extra cherries, sprinkles and oh yes, choclate!

now, what some people are interested in reading, the wi-fi mode of brawl. well, for the most part, i've only played this mode 3-5 times so i'm not 100% familiar with it. the reason i never got around to playing this mode alot is because it (no offense) isn't that great. since nintendo is a bit new to online play, it's a bit laggy. now, i know what most of you are thinking (the game just came out, so alot of people are going to be playing it), well once it comes out in america, there's going to be even MORE people playing it! don't forget europe. another reason is because (most of you already know this) there isn't a scoreboard for the online play. even with this mode not being that great, i won't tally up the online score to the final score (which i'm going to give in 2-3 weeks) that much. i'm doing this because it is still an awesome game without online play, but if it didn't have it, brawl would obviously be worse than with online play.

onto the classic mode. there isn't too much to say here because this mode is very simmilar to the classic mode of melee. although, it is still better. so far, every mode in brawl is looking better than melee's simmilar mode. i'd say that this classic mode is a bit longer than the other melee one. as usual, there are team battles, metal brawls and giant matches. do not worry about this mode being too short, it's just fine the way it is.

this aspect of the game has been upgraded tremendously. it is so spectacular. it is... music in brawl. for those of you who just zoom through the article, you may want to stop zooming at this point and read this part. the music in brawl is definatly the best combination of songs in a game. not only that, there are so many! the way they've composed the song in a new type of way reminds you of the old nintendo days while you are fighting on the stage. for example: when playing the luigi's mansion stage, it reminds me of sucking up those ghosts etc. this game offers so much variety for the songs and collecting a new CD feels rewarding. in melee, i just took a peek at the sound mode about 2-3 times. with brawl, you can close your eyes and the music will take you to whichever game you heard that from. you can tell this one's gonna get a pretty high score. so, here it is.

the event mode strikes my review at this point. i've beaten this mode and know that it is one of the hard parts of brawl. once you beat event mode in brawl, you don't seem to get the need to go back to it that much. this mode doesn't have too much of a lasting appeal. it is still exciting though. what i mean to say is, when you're playing event mode for the first time, it WILL be fun... but after you beat it, you probably won't go back to it that much. this event mode is more in-depth than melee's and has more thought-out events. it's definatly better than melee's event mode (even though it has less events). it's expected to beat this mode on easy in 1-3 hours. for hard, it's probably going to take you a good 7-12 hours to keep trying and aiming to beat it. so far, every single mode in brawl is much better than melee's simmilar mode. here's the final score.

here's the visual aspect of brawl reviewed. i can't talk too much about this so don't worry about too much reading. you can't compare the visuals from melee and brawl. there are just so much more detail put into the backgrounds of stages. it might not be as much of a difference as ssb to ssbm but it's still a big leap. twilight princess had very good visuals and i can kind of compare this game to those types of visuals. here's a tip: get a 50" TV, put the volume loud and sit back. brawl will do the rest. although some items (ex. pokemon) are pretty much blockey. this game can't compare to some of the ps3 games. it still features the peak of the wii though.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey i need your opinion on a few characters, because im trying to decide who to main as. can you tell me what you think as a brawler of falco, lucario, pokemon trainer, pit, pikachu, and olimar? because im considering maining as one of them, and i'd really appreciate your opinion.

okay fine, i'll take about 10 minutes to think about all of the characters...

i'll update soon :aureola:

i'll try to rate the characters

0= points for attack strength (max 3)
0= points for jump ability (max 2)
0= points for speed (max 4)

falco: 000000 total= 6

lucario: 0000000 total= 7

pokemon trainer: 00000 total= 5

pit: 00000 total= 5

pikachu: 000000 total= 6

olimar: 00000 total= 5

if the total is 6 or more, i'd consider it on the top tier

andrew how are fox and rob??

and any chance of you doing a tier section in your review???

thanks

Last edited:
andrewguy said:
okay fine, i'll take about 10 minutes to think about all of the characters...

i'll update soon :aureola:

i'll try to rate the characters

0= points for attack strength (max 3)
0= points for jump ability (max 2)
0= points for speed (max 4)

falco: 000000 total= 6

lucario: 0000000 total= 7

pokemon trainer: 00000 total= 5

pit: 00000 total= 5

pikachu: 000000 total= 6

olimar: 00000 total= 5

if the total is 6 or more, i'd consider it on the top tier
thanks for the ratings. i've wanted to use lucario since i heard of him, im definately gonna try out lucario when i see him. possibly main as him.

okay, instead of just posting ratings for characters all around this thread, i've decided to make a character ratings section in my 1st post. note: i will only list the characters you ask for. otherwise, it would take too long to list all of them. so, onto the section. expect all the characters asked for by you guys to be up by the end of a 48 hour period :smilewinkgrin:

Thanks! Can you do ratings on
Ganondorf, Capt. Olimar, and Lucario?

Back