Total Wii Sales Will Top 360's In U.S By June?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Nintendo president, Reggie “I’m about kicking ass, I’m about taking names” Fils-Aimes has never been one to mince his words, but latest choice quote might be a bit of a tall order. The firm’s US boss has claimed that by June this year, the Nintendo Wii will have shifted more units in the territory than the Microsoft Xbox 360.

In a Bloomberg article full of long words, numbers and complicated financial stuff that we don’t really understand (“Nintendo, which counts the Americas as its biggest market, advanced 4.1 percent to 53,300 yen, the highest since Jan. 23″), Fils-Aime is quoted as saying:

“The Wii will surpass the Xbox 360 in total U.S. sales by June, helped by video-game titles including Super Smash Bros. Brawl.”

The Nintendo Wii currently sits 1.6 million units behind the Microsoft Xbox 360 in North America, and there are a total of 18 weeks until the stated June deadline (that’s if we’re talking the end of the month). Mathematically this means that Nintendo would need to outsell the rival console by a total of 320,000 units each month in order to surpass its total unit sales in the region.

Bit of a pipe dream even considering support from the likes of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit? Probably.

Source

I agree

Edit: Wait... but not by June :p Too many Wii shortages for them to pass 360 by June I think... But Wii WILL pass 360 by the end of this year in the US.

Man thats a lot yet it can be done they have raised production yet we don't know the final number. The xbox won't get a big boost till gears 2 which comes out in nov. The HD dvd thing really seems to actually be hurting it's sales too.

It will be cutting it very close.

In America:
The Wii Averages about_625,000units a month
The 360 has averaged __404,000 units a month.

Making a differance of___221,000 more units of the Wii sold a month than 360, Thats 100,000 shy then what they need.

Now these are just average sales numbers,with current trends the 360 is slightly decreasing in popularity while the wii is holding pretty steady but still limited by production. The only way they are gonna win by June is if production is sped up enough to add way more units.

Still like I said you have to take current sales trends into consideration, consoles do not sell crazy numbers outside of christmas season. They usually hold a steady trend right now the Wii is at about 300,000 a month "depending on supply" and the 360 is at about 200,000 a month. If they are keeping a supply fix secret and they are gonna boom Wii's on the market soon then its still based on just the current assumtion of the demand for Wii. Being demand has never been met we have no clue what it acctually is.

In the end it doesn't matter how great the games are when people can't find a Wii now! I imagine they do have production issues probably close to fixed and pretty soon we will see supply equal demand, but unless its really soon this is still a "tall order" to meet.

But its about time Nintendo got cocky, God knows the other 2 have been from the start!

Last edited:
nintendo needs to get some immigrants and pay them less to make wii then everybody wins

T3kNi9e said:
I agree

Edit: Wait... but not by June :p Too many Wii shortages for them to pass 360 by June I think... But Wii WILL pass 360 by the end of this year in the US.

Oh Emm Eff Gee!!!!

Optimism about the Wii...FROM T3kNi9e??????????????????

Good point though, but i suspect the shortages will have stopped by mid year...

WTF IS THAT TACO DOING ON MY DESK!!!!

Dorkfish said:
Oh Emm Eff Gee!!!!

Optimism about the Wii...FROM T3kNi9e??????????????????

Good point though, but i suspect the shortages will have stopped by mid year...

WTF IS THAT TACO DOING ON MY DESK!!!!

Thats my guess too, its been over a year they should have supply just about covered. They might be launching a new manufacturing facility soon who knows.I doubt they would get cocky without a reason behind it, they cant magically pull extra Wii's outta there butt with current production facilitys thats obvious.

Double the current stock should just about keep them ok. It's amazing they were able to push out what they did so far. Even PS2 "the best selling video game console EVER" didn't have to deal with this kind of production numbers untill year 3 of its life.

Is it a double decker? if so bean or cheese adhesive? I vote bean!

wezeles said:
Thats my guess too, its been over a year they should have supply just about covered. They might be launching a new manufacturing facility soon who knows.I doubt they would get cocky without a reason behind it, they cant magically pull extra Wii's outta there butt with current production facilitys thats obvious.

Double the current stock should just about keep them ok. It's amazing they were able to push out what they did so far. Even PS2 "the best selling video game console EVER" didn't have to deal with this kind of production numbers untill year 3 of its life.

Is it a double decker? if so bean or cheese adhesive? I vote bean!

Oh yes, it was the bean...

[media]http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/touchstone_pictures/the_hot_chick/megan_kuhlmann/chick.jpg[/media] That sounds delicious!

Back