Transfering VC Games

durabull

Durabull
Dec 2, 2006
Okay, so I just got off the phone with Nintendo. Apparently, the VC games we download are exclusive to that console. That I already knew. My question to them was, what happens in 3 months, or 3 years, when my WII Console bites the dust, and I have to buy a new one. Apparently, according to them, we lose all the games we've paid for. The end licence agreement we "have all ready", states that they are "not" transferable to a other Consoles. He did say that "Nintendo tries to make the customer happy, so if that ever happens, give us a call then", but said he could promise nothing. Then he proceeded to tell me to "Take care of my console, and that shouldn't ever happen".

I mean, come on! Electronic devices die all the time. I have a friend who's on his 3rd PS2.

Thoughts or feelings about this?

Nintendo should take a look at Apple iTunes. Things purchased from iTunes can be used on upto five computers. But you have the option to de-authorize whatever computer is using it, and transfer it to another. They could also have it so once a console is de-authorized, it can never be authorized for that game again. That would keep people from tradeing games back and fourth.

durabull said:
I mean, come on! Electronic devices die all the time. I have a friend who's on his 3rd PS2.

Thoughts or feelings about this?

My binatone is still working and its older than me (made in 1979)
As is my atari vcs

That sucks, must calm down my VC buying`s now :(

I take good care of my stuff, no dvd`s or games i own have any scratches at all. But still i have had to buy 5 PS2 the older consoles i have sold pretty fast so i didnt need to replace them. But my Nes i had to buy 3 times.

I guess that the wii is broken at least before 2 years.

I would love Nintendo if they did something like Steam. So you could for example logg inn on your "wii2" and still have all your VC games ready for download.

I never thought about this, damn this is crap. Maybe better of buying a GP2X and play roms on the TV....

They could somehow bind the games to your Mii and demand online connection to play VC games that are bind to Mii`s. So when your system breaks down you can go to server and download a back up file of your Mii That contains information about what games you have bought so you can download them again. Since the download of the VC games need an online clarification they could just make the Mii on the other "broken or not" console nonfunctional. Simple and good, that way i would buy alot more VC games to have a big collection, and i could use my Mii account on a wii2 system and still have my VC games.

Found this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776378
A guy got he`s points back after.

Last edited:
It's definitely crappy to have their hardware faults cost you money if that situation were to ever arise. I guess the best option would possibly be to send the unit in somewhere to have it fixed so that you can retain all VC games. I do think it'd be best if they had you set up an "owner account" of some type that would allow you to de-activate the account on your old Wii and transfer it to a new one to retain VC games.

doestn matter, if you register your wii, and take care and act correctly, and you wii breaks, nintendo will give you the games youve downloaded for free if you send in your broken wii for replacement. so quit bitching, I am a music pirate, but not video game, thats just bad

ocdan said:
doestn matter, if you register your wii, and take care and act correctly, and you wii breaks, nintendo will give you the games youve downloaded for free if you send in your broken wii for replacement. so quit bitching, I am a music pirate, but not video game, thats just bad

I never send in anything, i just throw it and buy a new one. i guess i need to send in now, since other wise i will lose all my VC games, and that sucks. I have never had any good memories from sending stuff in. It always take long time and is a hassle.
And the good thing with an account type of thing is that you dont need to rebuy everything on a wii2.

Keep in mind I specifically asked the Nintendo rep if we could send in our consoles, and he said, "technically no". He said...now this is key..."once your warranty is up, Nintendo is under no obligations to restore your VC games, as per the licence agreement we've all "read" before buying the games." He also said to phone back if that ever were to happen, cause they may be able to help. He obviously didn't have the athority to commit to it, and was trying to make me happy at that point...

durabull said:
Keep in mind I specifically asked the Nintendo rep if we could send in our consoles, and he said, "technically no". He said...now this is key..."once your warranty is up, Nintendo is under no obligations to restore your VC games, as per the licence agreement we've all "read" before buying the games." He also said to phone back if that ever were to happen, cause they may be able to help. He obviously didn't have the athority to commit to it, and was trying to make me happy at that point...
ah didnt think of that xD. :frown2:

Can you not put them on a SD card then load them on to the new wii!

Im proberly wrong.
:( :(

I've just been given the same story from Nintendo here in Aus. My console has a fault, but when I bought it, I also got an extended 2 year/replacement guarantee from the store (EB Games) so - once they get new consoles in, they’ll replace mine for me. Rang Nintendo to see how to transfer my VC Games - was basically told "Bad Luck!". Exact quote was "No - you can't transfer them. That is why we don't recommend getting extended warrantees as the end user will be out of pocket if something goes wrong". Excuse me? I didn't see anywhere on the box saying "Don't get extended warrantees as it'll cost you!", nor have I ever seen this in an add anywhere!!!

:prrr:

So - in a few years when your console dies, and it's cheaper to get a new one than to get it fixed - tough luck - you've just lost all the VC games you ever bought.

I'm not worried about the Wii breaking down. OK maybe a little bit when it plays GameCube discs and sounds like a jet engine but other than that... It's a Nintendo system. I trust them. PS2 I have an extended service plan on. There's a good reason I've never gotten a service plan on anything from Nintendo.

Have had my PS2 for 5 years now and only problem is that the disk tray becomes stuck sometimes and I must pull it out.

You'd think you'd get a seperate "VC profile".

If your Wii goes down, you just get a new one and enter in your account details and you have access to all the games you've bought. it would take like 5 minutes for any programmer to do.

Back