Transfering VC Games

Think though the next Nintendo console to come out will be in like 10 - 15 years it will take a while to outdo their current technology and Nintendo doesn't just come out with a new console so they can make more money they have never not made a large advance unlike Sony or Microsoft so by then those VC games will be pretty old

***PANIC***

Man, that scares the **** out of me. Like someone said, I guess time to calm it down. AAAAAAhhhhh!!!!! If Nintendo screws us like that, I will be very disappointed. I am not impressed with Nintendo at all. One thing after the other.
Nothing seems to be compatible with anything. Everything is compatible with nothing. Time to keep my mouth shut before I start a tirade. I was kinda hoping we could use these downloads for generations to come. Not going to buy every game 50 ****ing times before I die. All this talk about the SD card is to make us assume **** like that.

I've sent two emails to Nintendo telling them I won't be wasting my money on Virtual Console games until they can assure me they have a way to transfer my existing games to any new consoles I may purchase. I would like to encourage EVERYONE to spam Nintendo with similar emails until they address this serious concern...

*Even tell them that if you do actually plan to keep purchasing games. They don't have to know that!

Well - I've now swapped over my defective unit, and I can confirm 100% there is currently NO way of recovering games you've paid for. As others have already indicated, games backed-up on SD card do not work etc. And since I had to delete my Wii Shop information off my old console before swapping it over (as you are told to do by Nintendo when you set up a shop account), there is absolutly no way for any of this to be recovered.

Oh - and a hint to anyone out there "backing up" info to SD cards - you cannot overwrite data already on the card - you have to delete the data first then re-copy it. Found that out the hard way!!! Lost 14 hours progress in Zelda cause it doesn't overwrite data!!! :(

Ya this is the worst thing Nintendo could ever do. I have spent over $70 on VC titles and I have no way to transfer these games or get them back.

Eleron said:
Oh - and a hint to anyone out there "backing up" info to SD cards - you cannot overwrite data already on the card - you have to delete the data first then re-copy it. Found that out the hard way!!! Lost 14 hours progress in Zelda cause it doesn't overwrite data!!! :(

or get 2 SD cards. data size = not large so go for a 256mb card (cheap)

Or we could just keep the Wii when the next console comes out. Personally I'm hoping that Nintendo will figure a way out to transfer these games as time progresses. Surely someone there has heard about our complaints and I will call them too just to know that I did my part. Because I do agree that tis ridiculous for them to offer us these games and yet have no way for us to keep them on the next generation of consoles.

captainff said:
or get 2 SD cards. data size = not large so go for a 256mb card (cheap)

Doesn't matter how many SD cards/size of your SD cards. If you back up data to an SD card, then want to back up the same data to that SD card again, you have to delete the first set of data before copying.

MasterJedi2U said:
Because I do agree that tis ridiculous for them to offer us these games and yet have no way for us to keep them on the next generation of consoles.

Not so concerned about the next generation here! :) That's a fact of life - technology moves on.... DOS games don't work in XP, VHS tapes don't work in DVD Players - fact of life.

I'm only concerend with them still working on the SAME generation when your console blows up/get's stolen/lost in fire/dog eats it/brother sells it on ebay etc! :)

Wow rumors spread like wild fire. This is what I've learned talking to a patient nintendo. They DO have track of registered games through each individuals Nintendo profile, you know, on Nintendo.com. Ok, so you did register your Wii for that extended contract through Nintendo, right? Remember that log in and password? Yeah, it works on the Wii. Through the Wii's shop channel, you can "Link" your My Nintendo profile unto your Wii. EVERY downloaded titled is then automatically registered to your profile, under you, the registered owner of thus said game.
-AND I QUOTE-
Nintedo Representative Jordan: "As long as you sent your Wii into Nintendo for repairs, defects, etc., If for any reason you would need aid regaining the downloads, with a phone call we can help our customers in gaining access to registered Nintendo Wii Virtual Console downloads"
-END QUOTE-

*shrugs* Dunno, seemed right to me.

Back