Traveling with a Wii - Getting Through Airport Security

MBoffin

WiiChat Member
Dec 2, 2007
My sister-in-law is begging me to bring our Wii with us when we travel to Chicago for the holidays. However, there's no way I plan to pack it in my luggage, as I could see it being treated as "a suspicious electronic device/hey my niece would love one of these" by the baggage checkers.

So that leaves bringing it as carry-on.

But, unlike a laptop, I can't just "turn it on to show it works" like you can with a laptop, PDA, or MP3 player. I will also be traveling with my wife and kids, so having a big hold-up in the security line and having some jerk security worker decide to give me hassle for bringing it is not an option. (Especially if they decide to really be jerks and won't let me take it.)

So how am I planning ahead? By bringing a USB video-input device. You know, like those USB TV-tuner devices that have video inputs on them. This way if anyone in security really has a beef with me bringing a Wii through the line and wants me to "prove" that it's really not a bomb, then I can just fire up my laptop, plug the Wii video cables into the laptop and show them right there.

Granted, this is a worse-case scenario, but the USB video-input device is really small, so it's no problem to bring it with me, and I'd rather be prepared than up a creek when traveling during the holidays.

MBoffin said:
My sister-in-law is begging me to bring our Wii with us when we travel to Chicago for the holidays. However, there's no way I plan to pack it in my luggage, as I could see it being treated as "a suspicious electronic device/hey my niece would love one of these" by the baggage checkers.

So that leaves bringing it as carry-on.

But, unlike a laptop, I can't just "turn it on to show it works" like you can with a laptop, PDA, or MP3 player. I will also be traveling with my wife and kids, so having a big hold-up in the security line and having some jerk security worker decide to give me hassle for bringing it is not an option. (Especially if they decide to really be jerks and won't let me take it.)

So how am I planning ahead? By bringing a USB video-input device. You know, like those USB TV-tuner devices that have video inputs on them. This way if anyone in security really has a beef with me bringing a Wii through the line and wants me to "prove" that it's really not a bomb, then I can just fire up my laptop, plug the Wii video cables into the laptop and show them right there.

Granted, this is a worse-case scenario, but the USB video-input device is really small, so it's no problem to bring it with me, and I'd rather be prepared than up a creek when traveling during the holidays.
Considering i think everyone who owns a house owns a tv. and everyone who owns a tv almost always watches shows / commercials. how would they not know what a wii is. and why not just put it in its original box. and if they dont accept it. plug it into a tv in their security place granted they take you there because its ''mysterious''

Waky Wii said:
Or a 360 fan.:lol:
darkmaster said:
lets just hope security isnt a PS# fan :lol:
Oh, that would be easy. Once I fire it up, I'd just hand them the remote. *poof* Five minutes later and they're no longer a 360 or ps3 fan! Now they're a Wii fan! Or at least that's how it's gone with anyone else who's come over to try playing it at my house. :)

Dude get real they are not going to stop you for this. then if you want to put it in a suit case get a lock for it. they sell suitcase locks in the airport if you don't have one. they make you turn labtops and phones on because they are communication devices that can trigger other things. i have traveld with psp, xbox and other systems and have never had a problem ever. my cousin got more problems then me with all his piercings they almost made him strip. my father too with his knee, i just walked through with no problems.

I get hassled more riding the grey hound cross country every stop they want to check my bag and frisk me as im waiting to get on or as im getting off the bus for drugs and guns. That was the most degrading experience of my life.

Last edited:
I'm sure you're right and it won't be a big deal. However, in reading as many forums as I could, I couldn't find anyone reporting that they had traveled by plane with their Wii as carry-on with no problems. By the same token, I haven't found any threads of people traveling where they were given a problem. So lacking information either way, I decided to play it safe and bring the little USB video dongle with me. Just thought I'd document it here for anyone like myself who was searching for an answer to this question.

And yes, I do plan on posting back to this thread after I travel to give an update on how it went. :)

Just to put some clarification, I have traveled with the wii many many times on trips, business and personal (I do a decent amount of business travel). Going through both smaller regional airports to international big hubs, I have never encountered problems with my wii.

I have generally used a standard brief case that I carry it in with all the accessories. Going to security, its required to be taken out of the carrying bag and place in a seperate scanning bin. I get more stops for traveling with licensed medical devices, go figure.

I wouldn't worry one bit. I have never been asked to turn it on or anything of the like. So feel at ease with bringing it as a carry-on. Personally I would never trust it in a suitcase under the plane.

At least a dozen round trips flying and zero stops or additional checks for carrying the wii.

Thank you very much for posting your experience. That's very good to know. Since the USB is so small, I'll take it anyway. It'll probably come in handy for something else anyway.

^Z0MG! Troll! :lol:

What are the chances if the Security guy thinks that it's a bomb? Or any other ""illegal device". Unless he's a *GASP* SEGA Fan! :scared:

[Horrible Advice]

Strap it to your chest with duct tape, and run the cables around to a pack of D-Batteries taped together.
Twitch and sweat a lot.
This will calm the security guards fears.

[/Horrible Advice]

So, are you going to a relatives house or something?
Because I think the easiest thing to do would be to MAIL it, and avoid the TSA altogether.

Baring that, simply take the whole thing in your carry-on, with the cords bundled, and hope that the guard isn't Severely Retarded (OMFG L1t3Br1ght R a b0mzz0rz!) or a jerk. And if they won't let you take it, Walk...

Info that may help

Hi all. I'm in the same predicament with bringing my Wii onto a plane. Thankfully I came across this site from the TSA:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm

Toward the bottom of the page, they specifically mention full-sized video game consoles (Wii, PS3, 360) can be brought onto the plane as a carry-on. The only caveat is that you have to remove it from your carry-on bag and scan it by itself.

Back