Tricky connection question

X2222

WiiChat Member
Feb 15, 2007
Hi, Im hoping somone can help me figure this out since I just got my wii and am hoping i don't need to buy the usb connecter.

My question is, if i'm connected to a lan via a ethernet wire, and my laptop also has wifi, is it possible to use the connections control panel to bridge the lan and wifi so that it will allow the wii to connect to the internet (through the laptop's extended wifi)? Anyone know if that would work? Thanks!

are you asking if you can use your laptap as a router then? In your user guide/instruction book, describes 2 or 3 ways you can connect to the internet. Don't think there are any other ways

Yea, i figure that since its a laptop and it already has wifi, than can't i get it to do the same thing that the nintendo usb wifi thing does. I live in a college dorm and the wifi signal here is extened by piggybacking off other laptops in range. Thats why I figure I could do the same. But i doubt nintendo would explain how. Thats why i was wondering if somone here knew.

I saw something at Best Buy (Canada) which is now available. It's meant for people without wireless networks (or people who have trouble connecting through wireless). Just plug a device into your USB port and your Wii can get a connection that way.

Yes you can. You need to setup Internet Connection Sharing (if your using Windows, I don't know what it is called on a Mac but they do have that functionality built in also) and setup your WLAN to be an AP (your wireless utility SHOULD have that option in it)

And btw Nintendo has nothing to do with setting this up. You setup your wifi to act as an ad hoc AP then it is just a matter of setting up the connection sharing. The Wii setup is no different than if you were using a traditional AP.

Back