Turning off Wii but the light didn't turn red instead it is yellow/orange

jubei74

WiiChat Member
May 16, 2007
I know yellow/orange means "stand by mode." But why it is doing it. I am worry to leave my Wii on stand by mode.

When the orange light is on, it means that the Wii is on standby mode. WiiConnect24 is only active during this mode. If you do not want to stay connected, simply turn the power off at the main switch.

Well the main switch can turn it off either to standby or completely. To get the red light/full power off, hold the console's power button down until the light turns red.

Is it bad for the machine to constantly leave it in stand-by mode? I thought that was the point, leave it in stand-by so that the Wii-Connect 24 would work. Is it not designed to be OK in stand-by?

Wii-Wild said:
Is it bad for the machine to constantly leave it in stand-by mode? I thought that was the point, leave it in stand-by so that the Wii-Connect 24 would work. Is it not designed to be OK in stand-by?

When the console is on, and actually generating great deals of heat, the internal fans quickly dissipate it and extend the life of the components. However, in standby mode, basically just the network card is running (and maybe not even persistently), however it can heat up after spending time in standby. The more heat your system is exposed to, from within or from without, the less time the components will last.

No one has ever, to my knowledge, reported early system failure resulting from network card heat, but then the Wii is only a few months old, and most people place it in it's stand, so that regular air flow in the room dissipates some of the heat (if placed flat, heat could build up to greater levels underneath it). But heat damage isn't an instantaneous thing. It doesn't destroy parts, it just decreases their lifespan.

Most people don't worry about it. Of those that do, some expect Nintendo to release a patch that occasionally cycles the fan on in standby. Personally, I turn mine all the way off. I don't get messages and I don't care whether updates come in overnight, and I plan on owning this console till the end of time. Your own priorities may lead you to a different course of action.

Last edited:
Turn Off Your Wii

Wiinter said:
Personally, I turn mine all the way off. I don't get messages and I don't care whether updates come in overnight, and I plan on owning this console till the end of time. Your own priorities may lead you to a different course of action.
I second that! If the temperature on the case is already hot, the inside temperature must be way over the specs for the IC's .

Until Nintendo comes out with new firmware that cool down the internal temperature in standby mode, I am leaving mine OFF.

Wiinter said:
When the console is on, and actually generating great deals of heat, the internal fans quickly dissipate it and extend the life of the components. However, in standby mode, basically just the network card is running (and maybe not even persistently), however it can heat up after spending time in standby. The more heat your system is exposed to, from within or from without, the less time the components will last.

No one has ever, to my knowledge, reported early system failure resulting from network card heat, but then the Wii is only a few months old, and most people place it in it's stand, so that regular air flow in the room dissipates some of the heat (if placed flat, heat could build up to greater levels underneath it). But heat damage isn't an instantaneous thing. It doesn't destroy parts, it just decreases their lifespan.

Most people don't worry about it. Of those that do, some expect Nintendo to release a patch that occasionally cycles the fan on in standby. Personally, I turn mine all the way off. I don't get messages and I don't care whether updates come in overnight, and I plan on owning this console till the end of time. Your own priorities may lead you to a different course of action.

Whoa, thanks for posting that. I better turn my Wii off all the way then, I don't want my precious Wii to overheat! Thanks for the warning. :)

Why don't you turn WiiConnect 24 off in the options menu? It's not that hard...

And do u really plan on having a Wii until the end of time? LOL ... in 10 years time it'll be as redundent as the SNES.

WolfpacSnakepit said:
Why don't you turn WiiConnect 24 off in the options menu? It's not that hard...

And do u really plan on having a Wii until the end of time? LOL ... in 10 years time it'll be as redundent as the SNES.

It's not that hard to press the power button for an extra second either.

However turning WiiConnect 24 itself off would mean no internet, period, standby or not. For whatever reason, even turning off the standby mode in WC24 options prevents me from accessing the weather channel (where it incorrectly tells me that WiiConnect24 is off) even though all the other online channels still work fine.

And no, in 10 years, the Wii will be as redundant as the N64 (released 1996), which is what I probably would have bought had I not been so confident in the Wii's success. It's games, along with SNES's and NES's et al, will also be purchased by me for my Wii on the VC. I'm not a console gamer, haven't been one for a whole lot of years. This isn't a purchase I would have made if I didn't intend for it to be around longer than the average gamer. The end of time is a slight exaggeration, but only slight.

Meh, I bought a radiator for this...

Meh... Mine doesn't get that hot at all. A little warm on the left side and thats all. You can get a radiator for it?

I think Nintendo designed it so that it is ok for it to be in standby mode (why else would there be an option). Heck, even your computer is on standby mode all the time unless you unplug it or flip the power supply switch at the back. It does get warm, but its nothing life threatening to the Wii. I've had mines on stand by after playing since the day I got it, back in January, no problems whatsoever.

Back