TV Questions (480p to 720p)

RoninPedoroshin

WiiChat Member
Nov 30, 2006
Portugal
Wii Online Code
6185-7652-2351-7722
Hey guys,

First of all I am a TV noob. The only things I know well are stuff related to computers and such.
I'm about to sell my 15 year old big CRT TV to buy an LCD HDTV from LG. The model is LG 32LC3R - LCD TV (720p display format). It has a resolution of 1366 x 768 and 32'', image ratio of 16:9.

I would like to know, since the Wii displays at an inferior display format (480p), what will happen to the image and what will I need for the image to display properly?:

- Will the image stretch and be blurry because it's being transmitted in a resolution not native to the LCD (or doesn't 480p have a different resolution of 720p)?
- Will the image be surrounded by a letter-box or a pillar-box?
- What are the composite cables and component cables everyone is talking about? What's their function and what's the difference between them?

Thanks for taking your time to answer these probably silly questions but I just want to be sure before I go out and buy a new TV!

vagrant said:
The wii settings allow you to change between standard and 16:9

But is there no blurry effect due to the fact that the TV is LCD and the image transmitted from the Wii is 480p while the native format of the TV is 720p? Should I choose a CRT or Plasma instead??? I have no idea. Does component cable help or whatever that is?

Ok, the screen ratio of 16:9 has no relevance to the resolution (480p). So with that said, the Wii does 16:9 (which is widescreen) at 480p with the component cable accesory. Get an LCD, whichever is in your price range (Vizio's are the best bang for the buck) and the component cables and you will be set.

ABC said:
Ok, the screen ratio of 16:9 has no relevance to the resolution (480p). So with that said, the Wii does 16:9 (which is widescreen) at 480p with the component cable accesory. Get an LCD, whichever is in your price range (Vizio's are the best bang for the buck) and the component cables and you will be set.

Do you know if 480p upscaled to a 720p TV looks fine by the way?

Also are those component cables Wii-specific? Can't I just get in an electronic store and ask for some generic component cables?

Thanks!

why get a tv thats 720p only try to find on that is 480p and 720p, if it doesnt say 480p dont get it its 1: more money generally, and 2: wii cant do 720p its got gona do 480p cuz it doesnt support it so standard def, find a 480p supporter or EDTV as their called now

also wii component cables are made for wii cant use just any component cable either nintendo wii calbe or 3rd party wii compatible cable , not even sure if any 3rd party has made any..anyone know?

martin8768 said:
why get a tv thats 720p only try to find on that is 480p and 720p, if it doesnt say 480p dont get it its 1: more money generally, and 2: wii cant do 720p its got gona do 480p cuz it doesnt support it so standard def, find a 480p supporter or EDTV as their called now

What man? If he is going to upgrade, why stay in the same generation... if your going to do it, do it right. Go to your local Costco or BJ Warehouse and pick up a brand called Vizio. The best bang for the buck... 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.... no 1080p but if you want that resolution, your looking at the LEAST $1800 for a decent size. Anyway, get a 1080i/720p compatible television if you are upgrading, it will last you a long time.

No you can't buy a "standard" component cable. And yes, 3rd parties have started making component cables for the Wii. I think most of them are launching this month.

just an fyi

i bought that exact television about a month ago and freakin love it

the wii looks great with the av inputs, just change your wii settings to 16:9 ratio and no problems

i have component cables on the way and would be glad to give you some feedback after i receive them

this is a great television set though!

hi abc anyway im also a TV nub and i dont even know if the higher "P" number is better or if the lowest is better.

ABC said:

Actually it does, considering he asked these two things;

- Will the image stretch and be blurry because it's being transmitted in a resolution not native to the LCD (or doesn't 480p have a different resolution of 720p)?
- Will the image be surrounded by a letter-box or a pillar-box?

That has to do with the aspect ratio.

athenstiger said:
ordered mine off of the nintedo website

Same here. The Nintendo component cables are gold plated while the play-asia ones aren't. Some people say it makes a difference.

To answer your question. Component Cables give you the highest possible quality for the Wii. It's a big jump over Composite Cables(what comes with the Wii). Here's a comparison(mouse over images for component cable look):

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162297/p-2.html

Last edited:
Don't get gold plated plugs (scart/rca-phono/bnc/anything) unless the sockets are gold plated too. You might initially get a better picture, but the moisture in the atmosphere will soon trigger a chemical reaction called DMC (dissimilar metal corrosion) which will eventually cause a seriously degraded picture.

DMC happens when two different metals are held against each other for extended periods of time. It is inevitable and unstoppable. You are better off staying with the nickel or chrome plated connectors which don't look as fancy, but will serve you a lot better in the long run.

As stated though, if your TV/monitor has gold plated receptacles, then go for gold plated plugs.

Back