Two questions before I buy

MilseCools

WiiChat Member
Nov 12, 2007
I don't have my wii yet, but plan to buy one soon before the Christmas rush (or after, depending on my money situation.) I just had a couple of questions:

1. Will the wiimote work if I play my little brother's Zelda: Twilight Princess that he has for GameCube? Or will i just have to use it like a normal remote?

2. Is there a way to play old nintendo games without buying them with "wii points"? Like, is there a way I can upload the roms I already have on my computer or is there a site that I can go to on the wii to play them for free?

1. If you play the GC version then you have to use a GC controller. Pros: Link is traditionally lefty and you play lefty link in the GC game, and theres less bugs in the GC one too.
Cons: Its not a Wii game, switch to the Wii version and that game is mirrored so when you went left in GC you have to go right on the Wii.

2. Yeowch! Theres no thought police getting you, yet, lucky! Nope!! The point of VC is to stop emulation. Play VC!!! HAIL NINTENDO!!!!!! WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!

Also do ya like this:
74d1a4c209.png

MilseCools said:
1. Will the wiimote work if I play my little brother's Zelda: Twilight Princess that he has for GameCube? Or will i just have to use it like a normal remote?

No offence dude, but that's a really stupid thing to say. If it's made for the Gamecube then why would they enable it to be played with the Wiimote?

Also, I think you'll find that the Christmas rush has already started for the Wii's. We're all sold out over here.

Welcome to Wiichat!

FRuMMaGe said:
No offence dude, but that's a really stupid thing to say. If it's made for the Gamecube then why would they enable it to be played with the Wiimote?]

That's not a stupid question. How do I know if the wiimote is actually programmed into each individual game? I figured: perhaps all of the functionality of the wiimote translates into normal controller motions through the console. Then, perhaps, there is an options menu where you can assign certain movements to certain buttons (i.e., swinging forward= A.) Not likely, but definitely worth asking.

So, given that, is it worth buying the wii zelda? Or should I just use my brother's GC version? Are the graphics better? Does the wiimote really make it that much more fun?

Last edited:
MilseCools said:
Thanks for the warm welcome (kinda.) I know this is a newbie question, but what's VC?

That's not a stupid question. How do I know if the wiimote is actually programmed into each individual game? I figured: perhaps all of the functionality of the wiimote translates into normal controller motions through the console. Then, perhaps, there is an options menu where you can assign certain movements to certain buttons (i.e., swinging forward= A.) Not likely, but definitely worth asking.

So, given that, is it worth buying the wii zelda? Or should I just use my brother's GC version? Are the graphics better? Does the wiimote really make it that much more fun?

The VC is the virtual console. It is on the Wii Shop Channel where you can download games from older systems such as the N64, NES, SNES, and more.

The Wii Remote is really fun if the game uses it correctly.

FRuMMaGe said:
No offence dude, but that's a really stupid thing to say. If it's made for the Gamecube then why would they enable it to be played with the Wiimote?

Also, I think you'll find that the Christmas rush has already started for the Wii's. We're all sold out over here.

Welcome to Wiichat!

Much offense to you, cause your response was a stupid thing to say. The average consumer does not know the differences between the wii and gc aside from controller scheme. Think if you join a audio-tech forum and ask a newcomer question, you want to be insulted for your lack of experience??? Besides, if someone came on and said 'could I use my gamecube controller for this Wii game?' -- it would'nt be a dumb question would it, because you can for some games! :frown2:

FRuMMaGe said:

Welcome to Wiichat!

Sorry but putting down new members, who do not have a Wii and may not know as much about it as you..is not needed here.
We're all here to help, and were like this member at some point or another.

As for your questions.

If you want to use the Wiimote with the Zelda game, just buy the Wii version.
And sorry, but you'll have to use the virtual console to get those old games.
Its really not that bad.

MilseCools said:

The graphics are virtually identical. But the gameplay is absolutely fantastic.

Seriously, the Wii version beats the Gamecube version in every aspect

EDIT: whoops dunno when I posted this. The Wii version isn't that great. Its mirrored and the motion is not that great(works very well, just not that involving). It also looks virtually the same.

Last edited:
lol, sorry... you cant upload roms from your computer. emulating is baaad, illegal as far as i know, but i dont know much about it. but VC is great, those games that you'd play for ages when you were 10 or whatever, can still be enjoyed today.

manufan15 said:
The VC is the virtual console. It is on the Wii Shop Channel where you can download games from older systems such as the N64, NES, SNES, and more.

The Wii Remote is really fun if the game uses it correctly.

Yeah, I realized what VC meant not long after I posted that. You'll notice I took that part out of my comment, but apparently not in time :p

I never really thought about emulations as illegal because I've only done them for original NES games and somehow that seemed OK :) I'm fine with buying them. How much do they cost? It think I saw somewhere that you could buy wii points for $20 for 2000 and that NES games run aroun 500 points, SNES around 800, and so on. If this is true that's $5 - $8 per game. Sounds kinda steep. Is this accurate? Are there other ways to earn "Wii points"?

Thanks for your kind words. I feel like the new kid at school whose Mom just reprimanded his peers for being mean :)

Monsteroids said:
EDIT: whoops dunno when I posted this. The Wii version isn't that great. Its mirrored and the motion is not that great(works very well, just not that involving). It also looks virtually the same.

I don't remember what you originally wrote. Now I have two totally opposite opinions of the Wii Zelda game vs the GC one... Any more opinions? I know there is a thread dedicated to 'what game should i rent/buy' but I want to know specifically what games I should ask for for Christmas that is going to give me the best experience with the Wii.

Back