UK Launch: 50,000 units sold in 12 Hours

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
As im sure many of you know, Wii was launched to the UK and European public today. Nintendo released a statement earlier boasting around 50,000 sales in the first 12 hours alone - thats roughly one unit sold throughout the UK every second.

The launch party festivities started at HMV's london store where some well known UK celebs entertained crowds and fans by showcasing some Wii Sports games.

Marwan Elgamal, 17, the first customer in the queue who pitched up his tent on Tuesday night, commented: “I have been looking forward to this day for months! Despite the cold and rain, it was well worth it - not only was I the very first person in the UK to own the Wii, but I also got to thrash Ian Wright in a game of Wii Sports!”

David Yarnton, General Manager, Nintendo UK; “This is such an exciting time for Nintendo – since the launch of the Nintendo DS we have been committed to exploring a new approach and offering a more inclusive experience. The launch of Wii sees our commitment to innovation and bringing in new audiences taken one stage further, and we are overwhelmed with the incredible response we’ve received from the public – both young, old, male and female.”

Today’s launch follows a succession of unforgettable moments throughout the global launch period over the past three weeks. Back on 19th November at the US launch, the Wii was an instant hit – selling out in just hours. In the first weeks since its launch over 600,000 consoles have been sold.

Following hot on the heels of the US launch came Japan’s launch on 2nd December – where the full quota of 400,000 units were sold-out on launch morning. Not to mention, in anticipation of the UK lunch, Amazon.co.uk reported a seven minute sell out on pre-orders – the fastest selling pre-order it has ever listed.

Via: Nintendo Press Release

Well Wii is now here, I hope you feel it was worth the wait :)

Back