UNCONFIRMED: Halo 3 to be HD-DVD Exclusive!!

cBus

WiiChat Member
Sep 14, 2006
Caught wind of this lil tidbit in online chat with someone who CLAIMED to be an M$ game studio employee: Halo3--after the beta release--will be released for commercial sale SOLELY on HD-DVD disks. This meaning, of course, that everyone who bought an X360 will be FORCED :ciappa: to buy the HD-DVD attachment to play the system exclusive killer app. Microsoft, the kings of REAR ENDING sales, (i.e. making you buy a new version of Office/Win every two three years, or paying for your Live connection on top of paying for your ISP...) will--in effect--be marking up the total cost of ownership of an X360 premium OR core to $599.00 in order to play Halo3!! (Core+HDD((needed to run HD-DVD drive))+HD-DVD also = $599) My source said that there has been MUCH internal debate about allowing x360 owners w/o HD-DVD drive to be able to pay for and download Halo3 over Live but because the game comes in at over a whopping 15 GIGS they decided AGAINST because this would consume 75% of the HDD for ONE game. Comments??

Last edited:
just rumors dont think to highly of it.... anyone can impersonate anyone... so.. :p

MS already confermed a while ago that no matter what, the HD-DVD player will be optional and WILL NOT be used for games

Of course, take it with a grain of sodium, however, just as soon as I told him that I was going to post re: what he had told me; he said that they're discussing releasing a DVD version that contains about 70% of the finalized game requiring you to download the additional 30% to your HDD over Live....however the Accounting Wizards/Gurus at M$ are so EXTREMELY opposed to this proposed option that they've vetoed it at the board level. So, in essense, Mr. Gates has his hand in this decision.

MITCH: Sony promised dual HDMI for the PS3 too....

the current HD-DVD drive can only accept HD-DVD Video disks not HD-DVD ROM disks (ie what would be needed for a game)

This is totally bogus, MS have said that no games will be on HD-DVD's, and anyways, i don't see a reason for that much space for a game.

Cabe said:
the current HD-DVD drive can only accept HD-DVD Video disks not HD-DVD ROM disks (ie what would be needed for a game)

Well not technically, just the ones on the market.

And this is false.

It's false. Bungie has already said that there will be 3 different Halo 3 SKUs. Each will come with a different number of DVD discs. The standard edition comes with one game disc (DVD), the collector's edition comes with the game disc and one bonus disc of behind the scenes stuff, and the legendary edition (which costs $100!) will come with 4 DVDs and a replica helmet. One is the game disc, one is a disc with all the cut-scenes from the previous Halo games spliced together into a movie, one is the bonus disc from the collector's edition, and the 4th disc will be stuff from the Red vs. Blue series I think.

Last edited:
cBus said:
Of course, take it with a grain of sodium, however, just as soon as I told him that I was going to post re: what he had told me; he said that they're discussing releasing a DVD version that contains about 70% of the finalized game requiring you to download the additional 30% to your HDD over Live....however the Accounting Wizards/Gurus at M$ are so EXTREMELY opposed to this proposed option that they've vetoed it at the board level. So, in essense, Mr. Gates has his hand in this decision.

MITCH: Sony promised dual HDMI for the PS3 too....
can you give me alink to whatever forums yyou were on

if this is true, it does suck, but i was planning to buy a hd-dvd for the 360 anyways... so it won't effect me that much if it turns out to be true...

would you experience lag or anything, is the hd drive capable of reading games and then sending them to the 360!?? i know may sound stupid but these are just things im wondering

^^^not at the moment right now... and i dont know about lag... it'll be transferring the info through usb so it could be, but not positive.. but MS could always release a update for the HD-DVD to read games... but that seems unlikely...

Back