Urgent Avice needed

Smaug

WiiChat Member
Oct 17, 2007
My family just got a router so its doing the update thing and its been stuck at half way for about 45 minutes.What sould I do ?
Also it says not to turn it. off but I do will it ruin anything?

yeah dont turn it off the wii will brick(rendering the console unusable)... give it time and if its still stuck call nintendo

Last edited:
This happened to me once...it just froze during the update...I just turned the wii off and restarted it, but if you don't feel safe doing that call nintendo...they should be able to tell you what to do.

It really shouldn't brick I'm sure mine froze at home once as we have a shite router, I just reset.

The on screen instructions say to cancel it, just turn it off. It shouldn't hurt anything.

I turned it off and when I turned it back on I had the 3rd version:)
Must have gotten that far and then frooze.

I turned mine off and then on again. No problem. I also changed my routers channel from the usual 11 to 1. Change your routers channel to 1 and it should work OK

JerryC said:
yeah dont turn it off the wii will brick(rendering the console unusable)... give it time and if its still stuck call nintendo

You are wrong. The message is just a precaution. It is only unsafe to turn it off in the last few minutes of the download, as this is where it is actually being installed. Before this it is just downloading the update and will not have any damage to it from turning it off.

So if your doing an update, and during the last few minutes your power goes out, your Wii will become useless? (Other than as decoration or a paper weight)

JT. said:
So if your doing an update, and during the last few minutes your power goes out, your Wii will become useless? (Other than as decoration or a paper weight)

There is a possibility yes.

It replaces the current operating system with the new updated one. If this process is interrupted then it may only be half done and the operating system will be useless.

For instance, if you were copying a file onto your computer and pulled out the plug before it was finished, the file would probably be corrupt or a fragment.

Back