Us Ps3 Sales Disappointing

ABC said:
Build me a PC for $600... please do it right now and I want to see the specs. PM them to me or post back here... let's see.

2 years ago I built mine for under or right at $600

2-150GB WD Ultra ATA HDD's
1GB PC-133 DRAM
Asus Mobo
P3 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB w/HT
Pioneer dual layer DVD-R
Sony DVD-rom
GeForce FX5700 LE graphics card

Not top of the line by today's standard, but certainly close when it was built.

I've also priced out putting together a Media Center, and it also came out close to $600, and that would be a dedicated media machine 9games, movies, audio, etc.), so, other than the Blu Ray (which I have NO desire to have), it would run circles around a PS3.

The boar kept back in the bushes and watched in horror as his brother was eaten by Chuck Norris, he left unnoticed. Left on a quest to learn how to fight Chuck, so that one day. He'll get his revenge!

The problem with Sony is they suck...Now calm down you Sony whores and listen. Back in the day when things mattered, casettes held games and it was alright to have long hair as a boy and still look cool without being an emo...There lived two legends Nintendo and Sega, I'm sticking to consoles so forget the spectrum/Amstrad/Acorn...not legends (Although thousands would disagree with me). Now these guys ruled, often one would take the lead as a new game or concept was released but always something new and ORIGINAL came out. They knew how to make games and they still do. Along came Sony, the very word sounds dirty to me...hehe. Anyway they came along with their big fat wallets...stinking of grease and cigar smoke and said, "Hey guys we can do that!" But they can't...so they buy out all the third party companies, chain them to the walls and shout, "Now you work for us, you get no food, no water, you work. You make games for us, Copy games, copy ideas. I don't care what games they are, just make them!"

Don't get me wrong there are some great games only the systems...made by third parties...Capcom, Rare (Xbox360) to name err only two. Okay what was I on about. The death of Sony...Ha haa haaaaa!

Whispers..."Long live Nintendo!"

Wolvey said:
The problem with Sony is they suck...Now calm down you Sony whores and listen. Back in the day when things mattered, casettes held games and it was alright to have long hair as a boy and still look cool without being an emo...There lived two legends Nintendo and Sega, I'm sticking to consoles so forget the spectrum/Amstrad/Acorn...not legends (Although thousands would disagree with me). Now these guys ruled, often one would take the lead as a new game or concept was released but always something new and ORIGINAL came out. They knew how to make games and they still do. Along came Sony, the very word sounds dirty to me...hehe. Anyway they came along with their big fat wallets...stinking of grease and cigar smoke and said, "Hey guys we can do that!" But they can't...so they buy out all the third party companies, chain them to the walls and shout, "Now you work for us, you get no food, no water, you work. You make games for us, Copy games, copy ideas. I don't care what games they are, just make them!"

Hmmm... sounds a lot like MicroSoft.

I won't own a PlayStaion because I'm still pissed at Sony for killing the DreamCast with an inferior system. Sure, Sega made such blunders as SegaCD, 32X, and Saturn, but the DC was (and is) a great system.

That's why i own 3 of them.

Sigh...all the nintendo fanboys bash sony. Yea sony must really suck, its not like they're a 95 billion dollar company or anything?! lol, get real people. Its not like they make sound systems, video cameras, tv's or dvd players. Sony must rlly suck if theyr a 95 billion dollar company, and nitnendo must be amazing in every way if they're a 20 billion dollar company.

sony messed up with the ps3 pricing it so damn high they thing we all make easy money ...i dont care about fing blue ray im doin fine with regular dvds they shoudlve made 3 damn version one $250 unit no blue ray that wouldve been the hott seller but that wouldnt work cause there games are on blue ray disks lol sonys ganna lose big time on this one

the ps3 isn't bad.. at all, the mistake that sony made was that they put to much emphasis on technology... look at the cell processor and blue ray... right now for developers, it takes more time/money/energy to make a game for the ps3 because its harder to develop and write codes for it... w/ the 360 its much easier and thats y when you cross platform games, they will look better on a 360 then a ps3... but 1st party developers who take hte time and effort making their games exclusivley for hte ps3... those games will look incredible.. as for hte blu ray... its not a bad choice, as developers have about 50gb to work w/ on a disc compared to 8gb on a dvd disc for hte 360.. but the other reason sony added it was so they coud win the next media format wars... like i said before, sony didn't do a bad job, just emphasized on to much technology...

ok guys, what the hell is the deal with that shite ridge racer series, I have never liked it. I think its one of the worst racing series ever. "one of". But comon, leave it be sony, get rid of ridge racer.

I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo is already making profit with the Wii.

Sony is big company but if you buy stocks sony isn't doing so well lately and if the trend continues sony is going to suffer big time. Sony stocks have been dropping for the last few years and just recently with the release of the PS3 it's dropping even faster. If you don't know yet, but sony is no longer consider the top electronic maker anymore, there now consider as average. It's just the name that sells it now and research has shown that buyers of sony are older middle age people who are familiar with it. The young crowd has jump on to better and newer technology from other companies. Again all this I read from somewhere can't remember. As for stocks, I know that for a fact as I buy a little there and here, wish I would of bought Samsung a couple of years ago.

I read somewhere that the PS3 is being manufactured at quite a significant loss - apparently the loss is comparable to that if the Xbox360 was being sold at $50 per set (think about it!).

Having said that, the console itself may be worth more than the RRP (I'm only vaguely familiar with the components, but from what I've read they sound pretty steep, financially, to manufacture). But if the console was priced any higher Sony would drive away even more people prospects of people buying a PS3.

Sony seem to have worked themselves into a bit of a catch 22 - Sony are losing alot of money by selling the PS3 at the existing price even when taking into account the offset of the manufacturing costs, but the predicted sales targets were not met, which meant a significant drop in revenue, so to recoup that the machine would probably have to be more expensive, but that would drive even more people away from wanting one, but if they drop the price, even more units would need to be sold to at least fill the sales quota.

What market predictions don't take into account is levels of interest, they go purely on statistics, so if Nintendo's sales statistics were on a gradual decline for the last few years, all the wall street weasels would assume they'd continue to decline because the statistical data has shown a trend in that direction; an approach that totally disregards the level of interest.

It's a similar case with the PS3, although Sony's sales statistics were healthy for the PS1 and PS2, it was assumed they'd be even better for the PS3, irrelevant of the fact most of the attention had been diverted from Sony onto Nintendo's new project - the Wii.

What is the point of this rant? That statistics can be misleading, and don't trust stockbrokers, the NASDAQ, Dow Jones, or Wall Street for that matter ;)

Last edited:
Back