US Wii compatable with PAL

private458

WiiChat Member
Oct 15, 2007
I am travelling shortly to the US and was thinking of buying my grandson a Wii, my concerns are apart from power source, are the Wii in the US only for NTSC system or can they be used on The British PAL system also. Any help much appreciated.

private458 said:
I am travelling shortly to the US and was thinking of buying my grandson a Wii, my concerns are apart from power source, are the Wii in the US only for NTSC system or can they be used on The British PAL system also. Any help much appreciated.

No the America's wii (north,central,and south) only uses NTSC and is only compatible with NTSC. even though japan uses the NTSC its not compatible with the US since it has a distinctive code. The US wii can also play canadian games too.

Yes, we have a different TV system here, and we run 110V. But these are not problems. 220-110 transformer is cheap and you can buy in the UK, and most new PAL TV's support dual mode (PAL/NTSC) or even better, pick up a component cable at the same time (if your TV supports component input).

Now, the games. Yes, they are region-coded. But I think you can get imported games very easily in the UK.

So, it's not impossible. But your grandson can get the most up to date US game releases compare to the slow European releases. Of course, it's slightly cheaper here in the US. ($250 = £125)

private458 said:

Unless you put in a modchip, it won't work. I just put in a modchip and I am playing with games downloaded from diferent regions.

Back