USB adapter + USB extender?

Hound

WiiChat Member
Dec 31, 2007
Since I don't have internet hooked up to my Wii yet, and have attempted to do it numerous times with horrible results, I am thinking of resorting to the Nintendo USB adapter. But I have a few questions, first.

1. What is the range on the connection it broadcasts? My computers are upstairs on the second floor of my house while my Wii is in the basement almost directly underneath the computers. And is it very reliable? Like, does it create a fast connection?

2. Does the internet connection broadcast directly out of the USB adapter that you plug into the computer, making it so if it's closer to the Wii, you'll have a better connection? If so, would getting a 100ft (maybe less) USB extender cable to run down my two flights of stairs to get the adapter as close to the Wii as possible be worth it and/or a smart idea? I would just have to roll it up and return it to my computer room while never unplugging it from my computer after every time I'd play online. I know it would be a lot of work, but in my opinion, it would definitely be worth it.

I just need some outside opinions. Thanks! :yesnod:

Hound said:
What is the range on the connection it broadcasts?
The same as any other low-powered 802.11g device. It'll entirely depend on how many obstructions and what kind are between the two devices. Open air is one thing. Wood is another. Metal something else entirely.

My computers are upstairs on the second floor of my house while my Wii is in the basement almost directly underneath the computers.
You'll have to try it and see. Everyone's environment is different.

And is it very reliable? Like, does it create a fast connection?
The speed of the connection gradually drops off depending on reception. This is the standard for any 802.11 device. Usually though it'll still end up being faster than most peoples' internet connections.

Does the internet connection broadcast directly out of the USB adapter that you plug into the computer, making it so if it's closer to the Wii, you'll have a better connection?
Yes, the antenna is within the device.

If so, would getting a 100ft (maybe less) USB extender cable to run down my two flights of stairs to get the adapter as close to the Wii as possible be worth it and/or a smart idea? I would just have to roll it up and return it to my computer room while never unplugging it from my computer after every time I'd play online. I know it would be a lot of work, but in my opinion, it would definitely be worth it.
Hypothetically, yes: putting the antenna closer to the device will increase reception quality. However you'll run into issues with extending USB, as the USB signal is not meant to be extended 100 feet. You can get USB cable boosters but that just further adds to the cost.

See here:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineUSB.jsp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Wi-Fi_USB_Connector

Wireless isn't for everyone. It just won't work in some situations. You might consider this as an alternative:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Subcategory=294&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

Thanks for the replies to my questions, sremick. :yesnod:

As for the number of obstructions in the way, yeah, it's down two flights of stairs that curve so I would think that would hinder the reception. I think I'll end up trying a shorter USB extender. Maybe 16 feet. That will at least get it about halfway there. If I should ever upgrade, I'd get one of the booster things you mentioned.

I have a wireless internet connection, it's just there are so many errors I keep getting when trying to connect the wii to the internet. I have a Linksys router with a DSL modem I think. The DSL thing by my computer uses the Linksys's wireless network area. I don't really get it since my dad didn't explain it to me very well, hence when I tried messing with it, I screwed up the internet for a few days.

---------
The only other alternative I can think of, it getting my computer hooked up wirelessly (mine has a cord for internet, but the other one is wireless), move it to my basement, then get the USB adapter. Chyeah. By the time I get permission to do that, I'll be away at college.

Again, you might want to consider those powerline networking adapters. See the NewEgg link I posted.

Back