USB Dongle !#@&

ieatdogma

WiiChat Member
Oct 9, 2009
Dystopia
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-1111
Alright dudes, I need some comprehensive help before I bash my Wii into oblivion. I'm gonna give 5 paypal dollars to the person that kills my woes for me. Not a lot of money, but hey, it's something, right?

Now, before I get to the matters at hand, I'm just gonna say that I've spent the past 3 hours reading and tweaking both my desktop and the USB Wifi Dongle. So before anyone tells me to read or to search other threads, just don't reply if you feel that's something you must say. I'm not as computer savvy or anything as a lot of you are, so yeah.

Well, I have this: http://cgi.ebay.com/WiFi-Wireless-USB-Lan-Adapter-Link-for-PSP-NDS PS3-Wii_W0QQitemZ110436153077QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b681f6f5

I'm assuming that it's pretty generic, considering it has no manufacturer information whatsoever. All I know is it's a Ralink Wifi Dongle, and that I installed the drivers for the RT2070 product, which is what I'm figuring it is. I have a desktop computer that is wirelessly connected to the internet, and I'm wanting to connect my Wii to the dongle using that existing wireless connection. So far, no good. I can connect to other modems around me with the dongle, but I cannot connect to or even see my own on the dongle to transmit the signal to my Wii. I was under the impression that I would be able to do this with a WiFi dongle.

Every now and then I can see my actual wireless connection on my Wii with a red lock next to it. I go to enter the WEP, it takes it, and then when I do the internet connection test... Nada. It gives me some error code. So I mess around with the Rasystems program, right? I make a profile with my connection, turn it into an adhoc, and enter the WEP. Well, I activate it, but it doesn't connect. The dongle is not seeing my actual wireless connection at all. Oh yeah, did I mention that I can have two different wireless connections while it's plugged in and on? Mine and the neighbors. I've tried it both connected to my neighbors and not connected to my neighbors in more than one way, and it doesn't make a difference.

Anyways, when I turn it into an adhoc, I can constantly see my connection on the Wii, with a green bar over the lock. The Dongle's green light also blinks repeatedly. Every now and then I can also simultaneously see a clone of my connection on the Wii, red bar style. So I try to connect to the green one, I enter the WEP, it takes it. I try to do the internet connection test, and it fails. It's still progress though, but now I'm pretty much at a dead end and stumped on what to do.

I found this thread while searching, and I'm pretty sure that it might be able to help me get this done: http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.p...&start=0&sid=790197f3e6b4f622403d093ce251d7c3

Problem is, I have no clue in how to find a PID or VID. Everything else I think I can do. So yeah, like I said, 5 bucks to the person who can solve my problem for me. I know there's quite a few threads with my same problem, but none of them seem to have been resolved. Don't jump at once now. Peace.

You say your computer is connected wirelessly and you want to connect the Wii to the computer wirelessly?

If you can connect wirelessly to the internet with your desktop, you should be able to connect the Wii in the same way. It has built in wireless adapter.
You must have a wireless router that your desktop is connecting to ?

What you have is a wireless link. Generally that is plugged into your desktop which always needs to be connected to the internet wired. The link turns that into a wireless signal to which you then can connect the Wii to wirelessly. Typically these are for people that do not have a wireless router.

If your wireless signal reaches your desktop ok you could move the Wii closer.
The signal from the dongle will be too weak for the Wii unless the desktop is hard wired to the internet. . One bar wont cut it for the Wii.

In the Wii manual it tells you that you need DSL/Broadband/Cable. Even High Speed Satelite doesnt work for most people. You need 3 full bars in the Wii settings in order for the Wii to operate online properly. Also check to be sure you choose the same security in the Wii settings as the router has. (there are 4 types). Also check the SSID it must also match exactly.
WEP VS WEP Personal etc.
Nintendo discontinued the USB WIFI adapter and patched alot of generic lan adapters. I used a generic for awhile then they patched and I had to buy an official Nintendo Adapter. Im sure some still work.

It would help if you posted the error code you get. Thats why they give them so you have an idea whats wrong.

Another problem is anytime you change the settings you almost always have to turn off the Wii then reboot the router for it to work. I learned that the hard way.

Your other option is buy A USB LAN Adapter and go wired.

He's right, if your laptop is already connected via wireless then your Wii should be fine. If you mistype it and ment to say that your laptop is connected via ethernet then maybe you'll need to set a static IP on the Wii as the USB dongle might or might not be doing DHCP. In this case it will depend on USB device and it's program and how it works. Anyway, here is the easy way of doing this. Just buy a simple wireless B/G router and connect your Wii to it. Again this is if your using ethernet connections.

Im posting this seperate so I dont confuse you more.

After thinking and trying to sort out your post I have a question.
You have a desktop computer thats connected to the internet wirelessly.

You want to connect the Wii to the desktop wirelessly. Heres the problem

1. The desktop doesnt send out the wireless signal it only receives it.
2.Wii has a built in adapter and only receives it.
3.What is the desktop getting a wireless signal from? A modem or router?

If you already have a wireless connection as you say all you need is to put the correct info into Wii settings then check to see if the Wii shows your network and how strong the signal is.
No dongle needed nor do you need to buy a router since there obviously a wireless router/modem somewhere supplying the desktop. The problem is likely weak signal (move it closer and up high off the floor), or you have not entered the SSID correctly in the Wii(if its called ex: Linksys Home then in the Wii you must type it exactly that way not Linksys home. You dont need ADHOC it should be infrastructure.

Go here http://www.mayflash.com/pc/pc041/pc041.htm to see the latest Wifi Link and how it works. It supports several consoles at one time woohoo! Its very simple to set up.
The thread you listed wow its several years old and outdated.

And on the outside chance you are getting wireless signal from your neighbor and you want to piggyback the Wii on the computer shame on you:wink:

But as I said earlier these links only turn a wired computer into a wireless link.
So the USB Link or dongle is plugged into a wired computer then it sends out signal to the Wii.
You did have it plugged into the desktop ? Not the Wii?
The dongle cant see a wireless connection because it is meant to make a wireless access point that the Wii can see/connect to.

Suggestion start from scratch. Try to connect Wii without the dongle plugged in.
Get it closer to the modem/router and both should be up high but not ontop of each other. Get all the settings correct. If you get an error post it back here.

Back