usb keyboard extender question?

rob1016 said:
i have an older Logitech wireless keyboard,but it is ps/2. if i buy a ps/2 to usb adapter does anyone know if it will work?
i know that it will definitely not work....

wario2ooo said:
i know that it will definitely not work....

well i guess there is no cheap way around this. i have to get a wireless keyboard. thanks guys for all your help

Your wrong!! I have a PS/2 to USB adapter and it does indeed work in fact its a Mouse and Keyboard Adapter and it still worked! but the mouse doesn't work just the keyboard.

Link_of_Hyrule said:
Your wrong!! I have a PS/2 to USB adapter and it does indeed work in fact its a Mouse and Keyboard Adapter and it still worked! but the mouse doesn't work just the keyboard.
i tried it...and it doesnt work on mine

USB Keyboard Extender question

I don't know why your extender cable won't work
I'm using the Logitech keyboard attached via a 10' extender cable (Staples house brand) to a Belkin hub and it works just fine.
In actuality a 10 foot extender cable is well within the length limits for a high speed USB cable which can extend up to 16 feet from the hub.
The line on the keyboard is about 5 feet so the 10 additional feet is well within the usb limits. Test that cable on another usb device hooked to your computer and make sure the cable isn't faulty.

Dr. Mom

From the USB.org website

Q1: How long of a cable can I use to connect my device?
A1: In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).

Q2: Why can't I use a cable longer than 3 or 5m?
A2: USB's electrical design doesn't allow it. When USB was designed, a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on USB data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to something in the range of 4m. This method has a number of advantages and, since USB is intended for a desktop environment, the range limitations were deemed acceptable. If you're familiar with transmission line theory and want more detail on this topic, take a look at the USB signals section of the developers FAQ.

Dr. Mom said:
I don't know why your extender cable won't work
I'm using the Logitech keyboard attached via a 10' extender cable (Staples house brand) to a Belkin hub and it works just fine.
In actuality a 10 foot extender cable is well within the length limits for a high speed USB cable which can extend up to 16 feet from the hub.
The line on the keyboard is about 5 feet so the 10 additional feet is well within the usb limits. Test that cable on another usb device hooked to your computer and make sure the cable isn't faulty.

Dr. Mom

From the USB.org website

Q1: How long of a cable can I use to connect my device?
A1: In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).

Q2: Why can't I use a cable longer than 3 or 5m?
A2: USB's electrical design doesn't allow it. When USB was designed, a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on USB data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to something in the range of 4m. This method has a number of advantages and, since USB is intended for a desktop environment, the range limitations were deemed acceptable. If you're familiar with transmission line theory and want more detail on this topic, take a look at the USB signals section of the developers FAQ.

it might be the cable,but i have to test it tomorrow. this is the extender i bought. http://www.amazon.com/USB-Extender-...4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1192336520&sr=8-1

i just checked the extender and it works. i even tried it on my wii. i have a fan/light stand from gamestop. and the usb extender works. i am going to have to wait till i get the new keyboard in the mail to see if it works

got the keyboard and it works with the extender. thanks guys for all the help.

Back