Usb Ports For Mass External Hardrives?

m7ticalm

WiiChat Member
Aug 5, 2006
Australia, Perth
Wii Online Code
0287-9971-6660-4138
Hey, do u think that u will be able to put your external hardrives into the usb sockets? i was wondering cause i dont yet no what the usb ports will use, if u have any idea can u plz reply? thanx

Yes you will be able to use mass storage devices like external hard drives and flash drives through USB/Firewire. You will also be able to connect to Wii-Connect 24 through it with a wireless USB network adaptor. Im sure there will be a lot more than that, that we can do with the USB ports.

For sure man, I keep my ROM stashes on my external hard disk, so if im lucky I should be able to play all those on the virtual console without having to re-download them thru the connect24 service. Additionally you should be able to use it as extra storage space to store your save files or something

DragonM3D said:
Yes you will be able to use mass storage devices like external hard drives and flash drives through USB/Firewire.
Firewire has not been confirmed, although it would be nice because Firewire 800 is blazing fast compared to USB 2.0.
DragonM3D said:
You will also be able to connect to Wii-Connect 24 through it with a wireless USB network adaptor. Im sure there will be a lot more than that, that we can do with the USB ports.
Actually, Wii has built in WiFi, so the WiiConnect24 USB adapter is pluged into a computer that has high-speed internet. You can, however get a USB network cable and connect Wii directly into your router or modem, which would probably give you less lag, although it might not be noticeable.

I'm really happy Wii has USB ports because it opens up so many options from saving game data, to doing some hacking of some sort, like putting Linux on Wii.

I know that doesn't really qualify as serious hacking, but once you've got Linux running on almost any device, you can do things for free that you normally would be charged for, if you know what I mean.:D.

Back