Use your Wii as a Media Center

T3kNi9e

Conquistador
Dec 1, 2007
Augusta, GA
orb-wii-head.png

These days, every gaming system in your living room better be able to do more than just play video games if it's going to earn its place next to your TV. The Xbox 360 makes for an excellent Media Center extender, and the original Xbox is the king of homebrew video-game-media-boxes, but when it comes to expanding your home theater beyond gaming, the Wii has always been a bit light on functionality. The best thing it's got going for it is the excellent Opera web browser, but web browsing with the Wii remote is still a bit klunky. Luckily, using that very same browser, you can turn your Wii into a full-fledged media center with the freeware Windows application Orb. Here's how.

Naturally, you'll want to see what the end result will look like and what you can do with it before you proceed, so check out the gallery and video below to get a better idea of what Orb can do for your Wii.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPt6bfVtWGc[/media]

Source

Good Stuff!

i watch videos on my wii... i don't like it so much, but i do it while i'm in the livingroom...
videos on the wii are grainy and take awhile to get used to the missing frames per second everytime you launch a show...
the same video looks great on my pc, though...

i hope whatever the bottleneck is gets improved soon...

idjut said:
i watch videos on my wii... i don't like it so much, but i do it while i'm in the livingroom...
videos on the wii are grainy and take awhile to get used to the missing frames per second everytime you launch a show...
the same video looks great on my pc, though...

i hope whatever the bottleneck is gets improved soon...

the orb is probably your computer or web connection.

just a thought.

Has anyone tried TVersity? and when they say that video playback isn't that great quality how bad is it? if it's youtube like that's good to me. I've tried the video format for wii photo channel and it was just horrid!! Of course there'll be the problem w/ whether my pc can handle the conversion and streaming. If all fails I hope the home brew comes around : )

I knew I could take an SD memory card with pix on it and have them display on the Photo channel, but was pleasantly surprised to find that .avi files from my Canon digi cam would also play back in the Photo Channel.

They can also play backwards which is pretty funny--sound and all.

If your willing to do a little "hacking" an original XBOX can be turned into an awesome "media center" in about a half an hour.

Back