Using a gamecube controller

zephyr1080

Wii Owner
Apr 26, 2007
Hey, is using a gamecube controller bad for VC games like mario kart? is it worth it to get a classic controller? i heard that the gamecube controller is good for NES, SNES, and N64. but not for Mega Drive/Genesis and TurboGrafx-16. I wouldn't be getting of the Mega Drive/Genesis and TurboGrafx-16 games anyways. Note: i don't have either controller at the moment.

I dont have a classic controller, and my vc games are fine. I have mariokart64, and DK Country. The gamecube controller works quite well.

some games basically require the classic controller. Such as Super Mario World ,and Contra 3...others you can get away with the cube controller. it kind of all depends on what you plan on buying. I play 64 games with my wavebird more comfortable that way i think.

Yea the GC controller works well for 64 games, but the Classic is way better for the others in my opinion. The joystick came out when the 64 did so this is only natural. There are just too many buttons and this makes things very awkward on most games prior to that era. When I got a Classic it was definitely whoa! Get one, you can't hardly go wrong.

Those controlers were bieng reported "broken" alot.As for the N64 how do you play that with a gc controler?

I have Super Mario world and Legend of Zelda:ORcarina of time.
You can play Zelda with GC controller no problem.
But if you want to play super mario world, i recommand you to get Classic controller because it's almost impossible to play using GC controller.
Reason being is that you can't rush and jump with 1 finger.
If you had experience running the game using SNES emulator via Computer and used keyboard(meaning used 2 fingers for 2 buttons) and u are comfortable with that then just go for GC controller.

I am also using a GC controller to play my VC games and I think it works great. The classic controller is more of a luxury rather than a necessity, in my opinion.

Im usein a ps2 one for vc games
(pad converters ftw)

nes, sega, turbo-grafix --------------> wii-remote
SNES -------------------------------> classic controller
N64 --------------------------------> gamecube controller

Back