Using a laptop as an external antenna/receiver

Mr.Selfdestruct

Wii-Tard
May 15, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wii Online Code
5234-2961-1879-5832
Sorry for the double post !

Ok, i recently purchased the superfly awesome Nintendo Wii.

I had no idea it was capable of wireless connection, so the fact that i have wireless around the house is perfect right ? well apparently not!

I understand now from reading other threads, that the Wii isnt compatible with some routers.

So heres my question. I have a new laptop that has a powerful wireless antenna/receiver that has no problem picking up my wireless signal all around the house, so i was wondering, if i were to purchase the Wii USB adapter and software and attach the Wii USB adapter to my Laptop, (Which would be in close proximity at all times to the Wii console) would my Wii console then infact be able to use my laptop's wireless reiciever/antenna.

Does the Wii USB adapter only work for computers with a direct "Hardwired" LAN connection to the internet ?

Or is my theory correct that the Wii will simply be talking to a computer with an active internet connection and thats all that matters ?

Does the software included with the Wii USB adapter somehow only allow for LAN settings through a computer ?

Basically, i want to use my laptop as an external antenna.

Last edited:
Mr.Selfdestruct said:
Sorry for the double post !

Ok, i recently purchased the superfly awesome Nintendo Wii.

I had no idea it was capable of wireless connection, so the fact that i have wireless around the house is perfect right ? well apparently not!

I understand now from reading other threads, that the Wii isnt compatible with some routers.

So heres my question. I have a new laptop that has a powerful wireless antenna/receiver that has no problem picking up my wireless signal all around the house, so i was wondering, if i were to purchase the Wii USB adapter and software and attach the Wii USB adapter to my Laptop, (Which would be in close proximity at all times to the Wii console) would my Wii console then infact be able to use my laptop's wireless reiciever/antenna.

Does the Wii USB adapter only work for computers with a direct "Hardwired" LAN connection to the internet ?

Or is my theory correct that the Wii will simply be talking to a computer with an active internet connection and thats all that matters ?

Does the software included with the Wii USB adapter somehow only allow for LAN settings through a computer ?

Basically, i want to use my laptop as an external antenna.
i would imagine that would work but i cant conferm it but thats what it was made for

So you think it might be possible for the Wii to piggyback onto my wireless connection, via my laptop ?

The USB adapter, isnt only for use with LAN connected computers ?

Is it just like a mini router ?

Well i'm thinking that if you piggyback off your laptops already wireless connection it may be a little slower since it doesn't have that constant wired connection. So I think it would work, it just might be a little slower than if you had a wired connection.

you can use your USB connector for computers with an active internet connection, All it does is let your wii pick up the internet connection from the USB connector.
So yes, it's like a mini-router, just designed for wii and DS.

Back