Using dye to make colored Wiimote straps

tababywii

girl+gamer=good combo
Jul 6, 2007
Hey guys,
I'm going to just get the ball rolling because I've been reading up on making some great colored straps for the wiimote by using Rit dye and I think it sounds like a blast to try!! I don't really like the washed out colors that are options for buying straps and I would love to have some bold colors that are the original Nintendo ones cause they're the best quality.

Question is.....Does anyone know any tips or tricks about dying the straps that will help me so I don't mess them up. I only have 4 cause Nintendo never sent me my replacement ones. I'm excited about the different colors you can make...check out this link to see how to do it! http://www.instructables.com/id/EQTQPFAF15QB5BA/

Unfortunately I doubt anyone here has actually tried dying their wii straps. However I could be wrong. I believe if you were to follow the instructions carefully everything should work out fine.

I'm going to walmart as soon as I get off work to grab some dye...I'll let you all know tomorrow how it turned out!

I wan to do that. I might get 2 more wii motes and a srcudriver and take one a part and paint the cace blue
That sounds cool

I did it! I dyed my wiimote straps with powdered RIT dye and I couldn't be happier!!! I was a little nervous that it was just going to ruin them cause I didn't really know what I was doing...but it worked perfectly! I chose orange, purple and royal blue. I wish I had gone with a different blue cause this one is too blue for me, but maybe I'll give it away to someone and get a different one for me to dye a different color. I have to say that I'm hooked now!

Here's how to do it:
purchase some powdered RIT dye (under $2 for me)
pour one cup water in a small pot and bring to a boil
pour dye in and stir to mix THOROUGHLY...this is key*****
turn heat down to low and add wii strap
continue stirring and moving around and turning so the dye covers evenly
and don't forget to move the tightening clasp every few minutes so the dye can get under where it was
I used two nylon cooking spoons to stir with and it worked just fine
when you get the color you want, take them out
**can take up to 30 minutes for a lighter color and remember that it will be lighter than it looks in the pan because you have to rinse it off with water**
rinse with warm and then cold water until it's clear and you're all done!!!!!

As far as I've read the dye is permanent and won't wash or sweat or rub off...so play away!

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help!
Sorry about the length, but didn't want to cheat anyone!

what harm could it do? the wiimote straps are free anyways due to the saftey recall so its no cost to you except for the dye really.

plus its fabric. shes not dying the wiimote at all. id give this a shot if i didnt already have different color wiimote straps (when you buy the silicon skins, you get matching straps too)

although.....i do have 2 wrist straps upstairs achem! id give this a shot. much like the time i spray painted my wiistand (if my bf didnt RUIN IT! it would of been awesome!)

well...digital camera is broken at the moment, but I do have a pic from a webiste and mine look exactly like those...
FX2I95LF2Z9HKHU.MEDIUM.jpg

not sure if I did that right cause I don't think I've ever posted a picture before...any tips?

so...compared to the picture...the plastic parts on my orange one aren't as dark as those and I like mine better. The purple one looks exactly the same. Here's what the royal blue looks like:http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FGX/UVUN/F15QB5B8/FGXUVUNF15QB5B8.MEDIUM.jpg
I want pink, but they didn't have any yesterday at the store.

Loose Cannon...you're right about them being free, but it's just a hassle. I've ordered replacement straps twice and haven't seen one yet! Don't know why, but I'll try again and then I can have every color! I also don't like the non-Nintendo straps, I like it when it says Nintendo on the plastic....silly, but true!

You should all try it!

tababywii said:
so...compared to the picture...the plastic parts on my orange one aren't as dark as those and I like mine better. The purple one looks exactly the same. Here's what the royal blue looks like:http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FGX/UVUN/F15QB5B8/FGXUVUNF15QB5B8.MEDIUM.jpg
I want pink, but they didn't have any yesterday at the store.

Loose Cannon...you're right about them being free, but it's just a hassle. I've ordered replacement straps twice and haven't seen one yet! Don't know why, but I'll try again and then I can have every color! I also don't like the non-Nintendo straps, I like it when it says Nintendo on the plastic....silly, but true!

You should all try it!

if you need them in a hurry, i found on my website that i am obessed with, cheap wiimote straps

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2999

thats if youre sick of waiting for nintendo. its free shipping from hongkong and takes about 2 weeks to get to you. they are $2.63 a piece

Thanks. I might just do that. They also might dye a little better cause they're bright white and not that gray/off-white color that the nintendo ones are!

tababywii said:
Thanks. I might just do that. They also might dye a little better cause they're bright white and not that gray/off-white color that the nintendo ones are!

one little problem, i dont believe they are OFFICIAL nintendo so you may or may not have the little "wii" symbol on it.

either way, have fun and enjoy your "dying" experince. had i know when i was younger to experiment with dye on electronics not on my hair :sick:

I want to pain my wii mots with blue. with spray paint. but i need a funkey scrudriver

Back