Vacations

I wish I lived closer to Europe so I could go there more easily, although apparently the availability of the varied climates in America is nice (and cheap), but I want to see other cultures. (Unless they're all like the UK and people leave their trash everywhere... Eugh) But yeah, there's way too many Americans who've never been out of the country.

I hatehatehate this. American people are always like "ohmaigod I would love to live in Europe with all the culture and blahblahblah" when it's not at everyone's disposal. Not every European person searches the whole continent. I haven't been anywhere, so please don't be jealous of me. Moreso, I hate American people when they're excited about going to England for the "history" when history is just castles and such, which gets boring QUITE quickly. What else annoys me? Oh yeah, when I hear "He/she had a nice European accent". Seriously? That could mean anything.

I hatehatehate this. American people are always like "ohmaigod I would love to live in Europe with all the culture and blahblahblah" when it's not at everyone's disposal. Not every European person searches the whole continent. I haven't been anywhere, so please don't be jealous of me. Moreso, I hate American people when they're excited about going to England for the "history" when history is just castles and such, which gets boring QUITE quickly. What else annoys me? Oh yeah, when I hear "He/she had a nice European accent". Seriously? That could mean anything.

European just means "Not American/Australian/Asian.

You can get a roundtrip flight to France for a hundred pounds, it is at your disposal, you're just cheap.

You like Europe/European accents? Oh great, that narrows it down to just 50 different countries then!

Yeah, that pisses me off too. We're not like states in America; we're all completely different countries.

On my holidays for this year now =)

Uhm, not sure about next year.
I've been to Egypt but never made it to Cairo, which was the main reason I went along with my family, so I'd like to go back there before it get's TOO commercialized, which it's getting now. Due to my plans though, I don't think I'll be going away next year. Saving for this course, so I should save as much money as I can to do it.

You like Europe/European accents? Oh great, that narrows it down to just 50 different countries then!
Don't forget the dozens of non-sovereign "countries" like Wales, Catalonia, Brittany, etc., each with their own language as well.

It annoys me a bit too. I suppose it's because America is rather homogeneous compared to Europe, and only has two neighbouring countries (both of which are also fairly homogeneous), so they're probably not used to so many different cultures and languages in the same region.

Just booked Zante for a week at the end of June/start of July.

Excellent.

Don't forget the dozens of non-sovereign "countries" like Wales, Catalonia, Brittany, etc., each with their own language as well.

It annoys me a bit too. I suppose it's because America is rather homogeneous compared to Europe, and only has two neighbouring countries (both of which are also fairly homogeneous), so they're probably not used to so many different cultures and languages in the same region.
Pretty much. And additionally, you're not "one of us." You're kinda "over there," and so we group you all as not USAUSAUSA. I doubt that the majority of Americans could care less where you're from if you're not from the "best country on Earth."

Woman behind counter the other day: Oh so where you guys from?
Us: Wales
Woman: Oh in England?
Us: No Wales, next to England
Woman: Ohh Scotland?
Us: No.. Wales Wales.

And someone else thought my accent was Scottish. There we are then.
My aunty who's been out here since November, said she's been called Austrian, Dutch, and loadsa weird ones like that, even Australian.

I otta slap those bitches...Wales is easy to tell because it's not real scottish, not real british...It's Wales. South African accent...Where the hell do that get that from?

Anyhoo, going to Egypt most likely next January...And DrMario, if you're worried about the heat...GO IN WINTER! We're going to Mt. Sinai at 4am in the morning, camping out, all will be in winter, it won't be a balmy 28*C me thinks. Thermals more like it.

My parents have been to Egypt twice. I wouldn't mind seeing the pyramids and stuff, but on the whole it doesn't seem like a place I'd enjoy too much. I certainly wouldn't like all that hot desert heat.

Pretty much. And additionally, you're not "one of us." You're kinda "over there," and so we group you all as not USAUSAUSA. I doubt that the majority of Americans could care less where you're from if you're not from the "best country on Earth."

Woman behind counter the other day: Oh so where you guys from?
Us: Wales
Woman: Oh in England?
Us: No Wales, next to England
Woman: Ohh Scotland?
Us: No.. Wales Wales.

And someone else thought my accent was Scottish. There we are then.
My aunty who's been out here since November, said she's been called Austrian, Dutch, and loadsa weird ones like that, even Australian.
Okay, for all the geographically-challenged Americans out there, here's a map:

United_Kingdom_labelled_map7.png

As you can see, Wales isn't in England. If it helps, think of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland as equivalent to the states in your own country (but that's not really how they work).

:

United_Kingdom_labelled_map7.png

As you can see, Wales isn't in England. If it helps, think of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland as equivalent to the states in your own country (but that's not really how they work).

That's how I always remember them: not as constituent countries , but like states in America. Although, admittedly, it is slightly different.

Anyhoo, going to Egypt most likely next January...And DrMario, if you're worried about the heat...GO IN WINTER! We're going to Mt. Sinai at 4am in the morning, camping out, all will be in winter, it won't be a balmy 28*C me thinks. Thermals more like it.

I'd love to go to Egypt. The history, including Christian history, is just fascinating. Along with Israel and India, it's one of the three countries I'm determined to visit in my lifetime. Oh, and it's quite beautiful, too.

Back