Very confused!

EK987

WiiChat Member
Dec 3, 2006
Chicago
Hello, everyone. I am confused. A few people have told me that ANY brand on SD cards will work with the Wii. But, the Wii manual says there is some sort of a list of compatible SD cards on support.ninento.com

1) I can't find the list.

2) What is the correct answer?

P.S. I would just get a Nintendo SD card but they are way too expensive.

PLEASE help me!!!

I just bought the cheapest 1GB SD Card i could find (no brand name) and it works fine :)

Yea im pretty sure nearly all SD cards will work - they probably just have to play it safe and tell you which ones are 100% compatible

Any SD card works. What they meant by brand is type. Only original SD cards work. Micro and mini SD cards dont fit in the slot.
P.S. Mines a DANE-ELEC 256mb card.

Last edited:
Major Tom said:
Micro and mini SD cards dont fit in the slot...

true, they wont fit, UNLESS you have the adapters...which effectively make them the exact same size so they will, obviously check the product you are buying before you go ahead and confirm payment

GaryT85 said:
true, they wont fit, UNLESS you have the adapters...which effectively make them the exact same size so they will, obviously check the product you are buying before you go ahead and confirm payment

Yea, and you can get a mini/micro SD to SD adapter pretty cheap - but mini and micro SD card are generally more expensive than standard SDs in the first place, so unless you find one really cheap there's no point

Skooma said:
Yea, and you can get a mini/micro SD to SD adapter pretty cheap - but mini and micro SD card are generally more expensive than standard SDs in the first place, so unless you find one really cheap there's no point

That's true (the part where it says so unless you find one really cheap there's no point), but if someone got/had a mini/micro SD card before they got the Wii, that person would have to get the adapter.

yeah i have some micro or mini or whichever sd cards that came with some old cell phones (complete with adapters) and they work just fine. the wii even shows some pictures that my cell phones could take but couldnt show for some reason.

i have a 16MB cannon sd card i found in a computer at best buy...it wont work in the wii but it doesnt everywhere else

Well, I just got my 1GB SD card in the mail and it costed $12.62 (with taxes and shipping)! What a bargain!

And yes, it works with the Wii.

My 2GB SD card came from play.com on Saturday it works fine, well.. the wii reads it, sadly the pictures I got on there are on a format that the wii won't ready. At least I think that's what the problem is... :scared:

If an SD card doesn't work it might be due to the format, NFST(sp?)or FAT 32. MAybe i'm wrong and don't know what I'm talkin about. You can probably format it on your computer if you have a slot or a PCMCIA card adaptor for laptops. Im using a 1gb card i got for $3.99 after rebates at circut city the day after thanks giving.

Back