Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Video "Noise" on screen !!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Hardware' started by chantililace, Jan 21, 2007.

1. chantililace

chantililace WiiChat Member

Hi there,

I just turned on my Wii tonight to see "noise" or little dots randomly grouped together showing up on the screen, especially when playing Zelda. It does as well sometimes when I play Wii sports or look at the Forecast channel.

I am using the component output cable from Nintendo.

I've had my Wii since before xmas and it just started doing this.

Anybody else with this problem? What should I do - send it back to N ?

There is NO problem with my TV.

Thanks

2. blanchedevereaux

blanchedevereaux Southern Belle

Sounds like a power leak/interference problem. Isolate your cable (i.e. hold it up in the air and make sure it doesn't touch any other cables, power or otherwise). If that helps, then it's interference from power cords/etc. and you'll have to reroute accordingly. (Issues like that can crop up even though to your eye nothing has changed about the set-up to warrant it.)

If not, you'll have to describe the issue a bit more clearly than "little dots" LOL.

B.E.D.

3. JKarp

JKarp Rabbid Hunter

Wii Friend Code: 6716-5035-9322-6191
    6716-5035-9322-6191
    I saw some vids of this a while back and it was from defective Wiis. Apparently the graphics chip heat sink was poorly connected and the chip overheated and failed. Give Nintendo a call and get your Wii replaced.

4. maybe the little dots are a sign of epilipsy! haha, just kidding!

seriously though, i pluged my wii into the wall outlet with no "protection" over at my boyfriends house and i got the same results....dots and lines that looked like "static" when i took it home and pluged it into my monster cable surge protector, the lines went away and everything....worked perfectly fine! talk about odd huh! :yikes:

maybe you just need a really good surge protector? if that doesnt help, i agree with everyone else that the hardware just needs to be replaced :(

5. Redan499

Redan499 Banned

Wii Friend Code: 0213-2291-6794-7610
    0213-2291-6794-7610
    I have mine plugged directly into an outlet with no protection and it works just fine. Best thing to do would be to call Nintendo and tell em what the problem is. If they cant do anything to fix it they might be able to tell you some pointers on how to fix it.

6. chantililace

chantililace WiiChat Member

Thanks for reply.. Do you have a link to these videos?... I'll get on the phone today with Nintendo if they are open.

7. 290

290 Who?

This is common in the computer field where people overclock their Graphics cards. When the GPU overheats it starts displaying "artifacts" all over the screen. Make sure your Wii is not sitting on carpet and other obvious things to keep it cool while playing and see if it goes away. If not then calling nintendo would be my first priority.

8. JKarp

JKarp Rabbid Hunter

Wii Friend Code: 6716-5035-9322-6191
    6716-5035-9322-6191
    Search on youtube. Here's one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=X8ZtQRXZKyg

9. AdamAGB

AdamAGB WiiChat Member

chantililace, I have the exact same problem and stumbled here trying to find a solution. What did Nintendo say?

10. Domenic

Domenic WiiChat Member

I seem to be having the exact same problem! But when i loaded up my gamecube games into my Wii it worked without the "static"

Any information as to what nintendo suggested?

11. s9am_me

s9am_me Got my Wii!!

Wii Friend Code: 5361-7973-5682-6452
    5361-7973-5682-6452
    just noticed this started happening to mines also. Exactly like the youtube video posted above. You guys send it back to Nintendo? Was is a painless process?

the problem is probably the GPU. I've seen the same things happen when I overclock my graphics card too much and not having efficient cooling. Anyways, glad i'm not the only one that have this problem

#11 s9am_me, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  12. s9am_me

s9am_me Got my Wii!!

5361-7973-5682-6452
  13. DomenicDeRango

DomenicDeRango WiiChat Member

That is exactly my problem! I am sending my Wii out tomorrow!! Hope it is a simple process!

Anyone suggest getting a cooling fan when I get it back?

14. s9am_me

s9am_me Got my Wii!!

5361-7973-5682-6452
    Ok I finally got around to taking pictures of the problem myself. It seems to be a little worse now. I'm going to ask for a shipping label from Nintendo and send in my Wii for a replacement. I tried 2 different TV sets and a projector and also tried component cables with out any luck. So i'm sure its the console itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#14 s9am_me, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  15. DrMclony

DrMclony Net Exile in lowtech land

This looks like what I get occasionally, mine appear in a band accross the centre of the screen, and definitely seemed heat related. They are only there sometimes, but really make it all look dodgy. Happened mostly in Zelda, not at all in sports, but a couple of times in the forecast channel globe after playing zelda for a while. I suspected Zelda was using the 3d graphics chip farily hard, and since we've had some horrendous late summer temperatures here, I figured that had killed it. With the temperatures in the haouse hitting over 40 c several days in a row, the Wii on standby was cooking, and that is when it started. With the weather cooling, the problem seems to have for the most part gone.

16. s9am_me

s9am_me Got my Wii!!

5361-7973-5682-6452
    I finally got around to sending my Wii to Nintendo last week. Just got it today. A 1-week turn around time for those in CA. Anyways, they said they couldn't fix the problem and replaced mines with a brand new Wii. All my info was transfered to the new console. Great customer service!! If you're having problems, don't hesitate to send it in.