Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Video turns off when playing virtual console games

Discussion in 'Virtual Console, WiiWare and DSIWare' started by mberneis, Nov 26, 2006.

1. mberneis

mberneis WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 5306-1546-7978-7261
    5306-1546-7978-7261
    [I posted this before in the 'wrong' forum]

I downloaded a virtual console game (Sonic) and when I start accessing it the video blacks out (says "No Signal" on my TV) (sound is still ok). I am running the video through my Yamaha AV which video-upscales to component Video, displaying it on my Panasonic 42" plasma.
    It seems that the Video-signals change when running virtual console games and the HSync/VSync signals are off so some component in the video path is unable to synchronize the signal anymore. When I press "Home" the picture comes back with the "RESET" / "Wii MENU" buttons.
    All other games run perfectly - its just the virtual console channel which has this problem

Anybody else had a similar experience? - I heard about people complaining that the Virtual console games would be stretched on a wide-screen display. Maybe both problems could be fixed in a firmware update?

Is this forum monitored by Wii support as well or is this only a user community?

2. Lethal

Lethal Extreme Gamer

Wii Friend Code: 4683-8466-6765-2704
    4683-8466-6765-2704
    Just change the res to 4:3 while your playing your VC games. Its in the options while you play.

3. mberneis

mberneis WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 5306-1546-7978-7261
    5306-1546-7978-7261
    Nope - this does not help either. - Any other ideas?

4. mjm012

mjm012 WiiChat Member

I am having the same problem, except my video blinks to where I can see the VC game, but it is on a second then off a second... Not nearly playable... This happens on NES, SNES, Genesis VC games, does not happen on N64 or TG16 games. When you open up the VC menu (blue house) the flickering stops and I can see the pictue in the background.

My Wii is connected via out of the box composite cables (Yellow, Red, White (Audio)) to my Dell 50" plasma. I have ordered component and am hoping that will fix it, but am not sure. Have also changed the aspect mode of the TV without any change

5. emuemu

emuemu WiiChat Member

same problem here, with dell plasma 42" screen goes black and says composite one, then you see the virtual console game for a second then black, repeadetly.

6. ericlewis91

ericlewis91 im McLovin

Wii Friend Code: 6031-8713-1077-8188
    6031-8713-1077-8188
    me having problem with a 60inch plasma screen?

7. contentNSFW

contentNSFW WiiChat Member

8. mjm012

mjm012 WiiChat Member

OK, I am posting from my blackberry, so be easy on me. I wanted to report back ASAP.

I got home tonight and found my wii component cables ordered from nintendo's website had made it.

Plugged them in and changed the settings in wii setup to 480p and jumped into a game of Solomon's key... No flickering. Next, tried Sonic, again no flickering!!!!

Very good news, I hope for everyone else as well!

9. tivogirl

tivogirl WiiChat Member

Same problem here!

Just posted to another newer thread, too, but will repeat here. We're running HDMI to the tv from our a/v receiver - regular included rca cables from the Wii to the a/v receiver. Everything works great except the virtual console games - you can hear sound but no pic, but menu comes up and you can see the game in the background.

I tried toggling aspect ratio and my next step was going to be connecting the rca direct to the tv but sounds like that won't work either. It's promising component cables work for someone!

10. akguy53

akguy53 WiiChat Member

I posted this problem to another thread since I can't "see" the NES games on my LCD screen. Evidently they also don't work on the Plasma. I have called Nintendo twice and was promised a return call and never got it. I have emailed support twice and got no response. Obviously this is a major glitch in the VC. It is interesting that the N64 game Super Mario does work, just none of the NES.

• Like Like x 1
  11. xbandaidx

xbandaidx WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 4857-5695-0490-5844
    4857-5695-0490-5844
    Its because the VC games run at different refresh rates on the screen I believe, IGN AU put a post about this on their website with the refresh rates being a bit different and whatnot. I'm not sure if this is the exact reason, but its something to keep in mind.

Other than that, your best bet is to call Nintendo on this.

12. tivogirl

tivogirl WiiChat Member

FOUND A FIX!

I found and purchased a component cable today. Hooked it up, changed the setting on the Wii to 480p, and at first it didn't seem to work. I tried changing the aspect ratio on the tv and Wii in every combination and was about to give up when I got it to work!

Here's the trick (at least for me).
    1. Hook up component cables
    2. Change setting on the Wii to 480p
    3. Start the virtual console game (it will be blank at first)
    4. Hit the home button to pull up the Wii menu options over the top of the game screen (you'll see the game screen in the background).
    5. Hit the continue button at the top right. When the menu goes away, the game will stay!

I had to go through steps 3-5 any time I started a virtual game, but it works every time! So hopefully there's a firmware fix for this down the road, but for now I can at least play.

13. xbandaidx

xbandaidx WiiChat Member

4857-5695-0490-5844
    Have you tried these same steps without the component cables? Just to see if the cables matter or not.

14. tivogirl

tivogirl WiiChat Member

Yes - good point and thanks for asking. We did try switching the cables back and this process does NOT work with composite cables. I was pretty sure I had gone to the menu and back to the game before, but just to check I did swap cables back. It definitely requires the component. Now it might also work with s-video - didn't try that.

15. xbandaidx

xbandaidx WiiChat Member

4857-5695-0490-5844
    Thanks for testing that out! :D. So far its known that you must have component for it.

16. akguy53

akguy53 WiiChat Member

I have called twice and emailed twice. No response after the initial conversation with a tech guy who said someone would call me back. I am a little ticked off since I am out the cost of 4 games. The fact that Nintendo should have know there would be a huge number of people out their with plasma and LCD screens, they should have tested all of their product before selling it or put out a warning, these games won't work with LCD or Plasma.

Now they have done a recall on their wrist straps, maybe they will do something to fix or return money for this.

17. tivogirl

tivogirl WiiChat Member

I haven't received any response to my ticket either. My suspicion is this is a widespread problem (moreso than the overhyped "injuries") and they're trying to figure out how to deal with it.

18. dossaer

dossaer Junior Burger

Virtual Console/Component Cable Problem

Same here. I have component cables running 480p on my 26" HD LCD TV and virtual console games become unplayable after hitting the home key.

I went back to the composite cables and everything worked fine but I don't want to change cables and settings everytime... Plus I'd have to unplug something else everytime I wanted to change cables. :mad5:

I've written to the big N but I'm not expecting to hear back :scared:

The main reason I got the Wii was for the virtual console. :frown2:

19. akguy53

akguy53 WiiChat Member

I finally got a call from Nintendo today. The bottom line was, "thats too bad" we haven't really heard it to be much of a problem. they suggested taking it to another tv and use on that one. I explained the game was my son's and we wanted to play it on his set and not move have to unplug all the cords, take it apart and move it to another room to play VC games. I told him about this board and the fact that it was not an Isolated incident. Oh, by the way, they were responding to my third email I sent that threatened going to the press or CNET with the problem

So when they couldn't help fix it other than also suggest I bring a vcr down to run it thru, I asked for a refund on the 5 games I had purchased and couldn't play. After a while on hold he came back and made me an offer. "Buy an extra sensor bar for $10.00 and they would give me a free A/C adapter. (I had told him I was waiting for component cables I had already ordered). His idea was to have the existing cables, the extra sensor bar and A/C adaptor setup on the other TV. Then, I would only have to move the unit from place to place without draging all the cables. I went for it. He also gave me $5.00 overnight shipping. It wasn't a fix, but I thought at least it was a reasonable attempt to make a consumer happy. Maybe it will work when the component cables will show up, but if it does, it will still be nice to be able to bring the Wii upstairs to the big Widescreen when we feel like playing there without moving the cables.

BTW, the forecast channel Global feature is pretty neat, kinda a minnie google earth.

20. shrimpy20

shrimpy20 GH Metallica FTW

Wii Friend Code: 2783-8719-1866-4201
    2783-8719-1866-4201
    I've downloaded "Gunstar Heroes" off the "Wii Shop Channel" and I've had no problems playing it so far.