Video turns off when playing virtual console games

i just finished posting this issue on the official dutch nintendo forums, I hope a staff member will look at it. I also linked to this thread because it shows it's a wider spread problem

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but for me the problem is only with the NES and SNES games. I have a LCD HDTV hooked up with component cables and sega and N64 games work fine for some reason. This is really weird! Does anyone else think that! I hope this is a big enough problem that it warrents nintendo to do something about it. As I would imagine there would be quite a few people hooking their wii up to a HDTV with component cables.

i too having problems everyone write and ring nintendo it is shitting me swapping cables and settings
turbo g games work fine

so why is this happening ?

nintendo get your bloody head out of your arse and inform your consumers

got the same thing got a 20 inch hd tv brought a component hd lead much better picture but when i load up a virtual console game ie sonic it comes up with sega no problems then the screen goes green but still got sound switch to the original lead that comes with the wii and its fine

i think its today with Old games needing diffrent refresh rates that new HD tv's dont seem to be compatible with.. thats why newer consles seem to work such as the N64..

I have sent Nintendo e-mail as of yet had no response..
Lots ue component cables though so.. There is enough people out there for nintendo to do something about this..
Question just is.. "When!".. I would'nt hold your breadth.

Component Cables

Hey guys,

i found this forum while searching the internet for the Virtual Console problem. I work for an accessories manufacturer and am currently trying to sort out this problem. Since this was the best source of information i could find so far i would like to exchange experiences with any of you guys. I need to determine if our cables work with the Virtual Console, so i am willing to give away a few cables for free.

Whoever is interested, plese let me know.

I don't mind sharing my experience. As I've stated before, I have the official nintendo component cable, hooked up to a 32 inch LCD TV. Everything works fine except some of the VC games. The sega games work fine. I have sonic and ecco. I have download donkey kong country, super mario bros and neither work. This is weird! I havn't tried the regular composit cable that comes with the system and I don't want to, as it's annoying having to change the cables over and over! Their is nothing else to do but wait and see if nintendo release the patch specifically for this problem. The thing is, there are conflicting reports. Some games work for some and others do not.

I have encountered this sort of thing before. Currently a few of my PS1 games do not work on my PS2 (hooked via component).

Owel let hope good ol NIN find a way around it!

Ok, sounds interesting. So far i only heard about 3rd party cables causing this trouble. A customer of ours encountered this issue using a Mad Catz cable, and the Nintendo support hotline (Germany) told him it's definitely a cable issue. He bought a Nintendo cable and the problem was solved, the games worked fine.

I own a Samsung 32" LE32R41B LCD and it worked fine with all games i tested so far. I downloaded just one per classic console, so there might be issues with some other games. None of the games is displayed fullscreen though.

akguy53 said:
I got the email from the web site. I left them the issue with my phone numbers. Here is the link to the phone numbers and to email:

http://www.nintendo.com/contact

:thumbsup:

Yeah, but I needed an email contact for Nintendo of Australia. Nintendo of America wont care about Aussies :nonod:

Sent them a fax anyways... :mad2:

And just for the record, I'm using genuine Nintendo cables too.

They have told me over the phone that it's just "too bad" for me to which I've sent them a fax... But I don't think that it'll get me anywhere.

Hi, I found this forum while searching for video issues with the virtual console.

When I load up VC games (Pre N64) I end up with a blank green screen - sound familiar? After awhile the home button turns on showing the game in the background so I click 'close' and the screen reverts back to blank/green.

Messing with the settings doesn't work. I tried different combinations of 4:3, widescreen, 480i, 576i, 480p, and all I got was the same shitty blank green screen.

I'm using the official Component cable on a Samsung 940mw. I've also tried the Mad Katz and Blaze component cable but neither work - composite works fine.

I’ve emailed Nintendo of Europe but they haven’t replied so I assume they don’t give a ****.

It's almost like they want people to download their games illegally. I mean, I'd prefer to pay but look at the hassle it's caused - and we still haven't got a 60hz option. It's 2007 Nintendo not 1986. If you want to sell old games then update them for christ sake.

Last edited:
I'm also having problems with displaying VC games in 480p on my plasma. I've got component cables, and normal Wii stuff works great, but when I try Sonic, DKC or Castlevania then my tv switches to 640 x 200 @ 50Hz and the bottom third of the picture disappears of the screen. R-Type on the other hand works fine. I wonder why? I hope Nintendo get this fixed as I'm not buying any more VC games until it is, and I'm definitely not swapping tellys or cables just to be able to play 20 year old games.

This problem is NOT limited to HD LCD's / Plasma's.

Had the same issue arise with Gunstar Heroes on my 28" CRT (connected via composite to SCART). It did clear with a reset, however, and hasn't yet repeated.

Methinks Nintendo may have a BIG problem on their hands :shocked:

nannypants said:
I'm also having problems with displaying VC games in 480p on my plasma. I've got component cables, and normal Wii stuff works great, but when I try Sonic, DKC or Castlevania then my tv switches to 640 x 200 @ 50Hz and the bottom third of the picture disappears of the screen. R-Type on the other hand works fine. I wonder why?

R-Type runs at 60hz which is probably why it works fine on your tv. The rest of the games are the **** 50hz pal version - See US sonic vs uk Sonic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0llsb77Esc

If they'd just give us a 60hz option non of this would be happening...

Back