Virtual Console - Component Cable problems?

Lord_Ganondorf

WiiChat Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, so greetings!

I have heard that the problem I'm about to post has turned out to be quite frequent. However, I haven't found anything using the search function, so sorry if this has already been posted.

Basically, I got my new U.S Component Cables the other day and most of my Virtual Console NES/SNES games aren't working with it. Here's what happened:

1 Played for about 5 minutes.
2 Paused using “home” button
3 Tried to go back into the game
4 My TV lost the signal. On the screen it said "No Signal". The screen went black.

What’s really annoying is the fact that I can't reboot it. To leave the game I have to press “home” and the error occurs when I try to exit the pause menu. I am left with no option but to press "Wii Menu".
I even uninstalled the game channels, erased the memory files, and downloaded them again but the problem persists.

I tried to change the output signal to 50Hz, 60Hz and EDTV. None of them worked.

I’m using an Official Nintendo U.S component cable and have my Wii set to 16:9 EDTV.

Basically, the NES/SNES Virtual Console games only work with my standard composite cables but not with my new component ones.

Have you guys any ideas as to what is going on? Do you have the same problem trying to play VC games with Component Cables? Do you think Nintendo will patch this problem? I don't want to have to switch between composite and component cables everytime I want to switch from Wii to VC games.

Lord_Ganondorf said:
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, so greetings!

I have heard that the problem I'm about to post has turned out to be quite frequent. However, I haven't found anything using the search function, so sorry if this has already been posted.

Basically, I got my new U.S Component Cables the other day and most of my Virtual Console NES/SNES games aren't working with it. Here's what happened:

1 Played for about 5 minutes.
2 Paused using “home” button
3 Tried to go back into the game
4 My TV lost the signal. On the screen it said "No Signal". The screen went black.

What’s really annoying is the fact that I can't reboot it. To leave the game I have to press “home” and the error occurs when I try to exit the pause menu. I am left with no option but to press "Wii Menu".
I even uninstalled the game channels, erased the memory files, and downloaded them again but the problem persists.

I tried to change the output signal to 50Hz, 60Hz and EDTV. None of them worked.

I’m using an Official Nintendo U.S component cable and have my Wii set to 16:9 EDTV.

Basically, the NES/SNES Virtual Console games only work with my standard composite cables but not with my new component ones.

Have you guys any ideas as to what is going on? Do you have the same problem trying to play VC games with Component Cables? Do you think Nintendo will patch this problem? I don't want to have to switch between composite and component cables everytime I want to switch from Wii to VC games.

That is indeed weird. I have no problems playing my VC games with component on my TV wii at 16:9 and EDTV. Maybe try deleting them and re-downloading? If not try calling Nintendo and see what they say.

acphydro said:
That is indeed weird. I have no problems playing my VC games with component on my TV wii at 16:9 and EDTV. Maybe try deleting them and re-downloading? If not try calling Nintendo and see what they say.

Thanks, but I have deleted and re-downloaded the games.

I was browsing some other forums and other people also had this problem, but this is the only one I've registered on.

Call nintendo on this one. You can also try disabling the screen burn-in prevention setting in the settings area and see if that prevents it. If so, tell nintendo that the screen burn-in protection+VC+your TV causes and issue.

mym6 said:
Call nintendo on this one. You can also try disabling the screen burn-in prevention setting in the settings area and see if that prevents it. If so, tell nintendo that the screen burn-in protection+VC+your TV causes and issue.

Thanks, but that didn't work either. I will either call Nintendo, e-mail them, or wait for them to patch this problem with a firmware update.

Looking at the other thread, I am not the only one with this problem. :lol:

acphydro said:

Are you sure you have played 16-bit or 8-bit titles with your component cables? Or just N64. Because I'm pretty sure N64 VC Roms work with component cables and SNES and below do not.

Update: I just got some component cables for my wii from ebgames. Now, the VC games that did not work before do now. When you start the game now, it goes to a black screen, then goes to the reset menu. If you then close the reset menu by clicking close or pressing the home button the game started (this was stated to work for someone in a previous post). Before, I was upconverting my composite signal with my Denon receiver. Now, it has component video as the source and it does not disappear. Also I changed it to 480p mode now that I have component. Now I wonder if the problem is with upconverting.
-viperware-

Back