Virtual Console games and online functions (question!)

Colmino

WiiChat Member
Nov 24, 2006
Greetings. I'm interested in picking up the Nintendo Wii, once a wireless sensor bar is released (one that does not introduce its own latency). Before that, I thought I'd iron out some info about how the online services function.

I know you can download a few classic games onto the Wii. I am coming from the land of the Xbox 360, where things like online multiplayer, charts, contacts, achievments, etc. are standard fare. I would miss such functions if they were not present. It really seems to me that a company would have to be braindead not to rip off the 360's innovations.

So I guess my questions are:

1) If I were to download, say, The Legend of Zelda, would the Wii have an online component to this game that kept track of how far I've progressed / what secrets I've discovered in the game, at least? Maybe even an achievment list?

2) If I were to download, say, Mario Bros., which is one of the most fun multiplayer games ever made... Would I be able to play against other people who also downloaded this game?

Again, these really seem like no-brainer functions, especially when it's already been done to great effect on a preexisting console, but I won't really know if the Wii offers such things until I've asked. One of the most important legitimizing factors to any of these classic games - the ONLY factor, really, that might entice one to pay five bucks for a game they've probably been emulating for years - is the interactivity made possible by online functions.

1. I don't know I think I've heard something about it, but I could be mistaken.

2. Nintendo have said that the games will be no different to their original so that means no online, but there could easily be an online virtual console game in the future.

Pity. No $5 from me, then. I can play Mario Bros online using MAME already. They really missed the boat with that one.

What's the deal with the latest consoles and their poor offerings? The PS3 is the biggest flop since the Atari Jaguar (bigger, really, since at least the Jaguar had one killer ap), and the Wii somehow failed to offer online multiplayer for games that really needed it. I'm left wondering if I should just pick up the Gamecube version of Zelda, since it won't have any Wiimote functions shoehorned in and is unlikely to be a visually inferior product.

First of all. The 360 did not introduce online multiplayer, charts, contacts, achievments thus, other companies cannot "rip off" microsoft. Sonys "PS2" was first to most of ideas. Also, the wii didn't "fail to offer multiplayer games" Wii sports is already a big hit and it came with the system. If your talking about online games they once again didn't fail. There was nothing anticipated for launch for an online game. There will be more information in January. As for the Wiimote functions "shoehorned in" that is a matter of opinion but I for one am very happy and think it was money well spent.

Shrug. Not to split too many hairs over the topic, but it seems a little silly to suggest that the PS2 was the first to present any of the online functions listed, when their network adapter did not even get released until after the Xbox was on the street, and the PS2 has never really been a paragon of online excellence. Achievments are at least one innovation that I would peg as unique to the 360. It was startling when the PS3 ended up not directly ripping that off, even after the rumors of "entitlements" or whatever.

When I say the Wii fails to offer multiplayer functions for games that need it, I don't mean that generally. Mario Bros. needs it, and it doesn't have it, reportedly. That's why I will not be buying it.

Is there a point to deriding online multiplayer? For example, I have every confidence that classic games in the future will not fail to include such an option. The classic SNES Mario Kart, for example. I'm sure they will enable online multiplayer for that, if they make it available for download. What then? Will you turn your nose up at the game because it is infested with "new crap"? I bet most people won't.

probably not, but then why not buy the new mario kart that DOES have the multiplayer on it?

I mean, the point of having these old games is nastalgia, going back to playing Marios Bros. or Zelda. It's a shame that games like Bomberman that would be online would be awesome, but theres no reason to keep bitching about it. its not online so accept it and move on. newer games will come out that will utilize the online option. and as it was said before, it was announced that the wii would not have full online functionability at launch, so relax and enjoy the awesome games that are out right now. if you feel the NEED for online multiplayer action, then stick to your XBox 360. I dont need any fancy statistics and list of accomplishments and all that crap online. I'm happy sitting here with my Zelda:TP, killing some spiders and rescuing monkeys :D

-SpideyKonfusion

Back